SR V2.9

Demivrgvs

More about Find Familiar:

(SixOfSpades) Actually Rabain's version of the spell gives the caster the option to choose among three familiars. The one with your own alignment and two more that share the same second attribute (Good, Neutral or Evil) so that a Lawful Evil summoner can choose Imp (LE), Dust Mephit (NE) or Quasit (CE). Furthermore, I would stick to the Bioware's animal choices (plus Rabain's spider) to not burden Demivrgvs with an unnecessary extra load of work on this spell (which already is complex enough in the proposed version). Last thing: we can't just give the Familiar regeneration only to accomodate solo players. The whole Baldur's Gate game is meant for a party, not for a single character. People that plays solo will have to do it with that in mind and take risks accordingly.

(Demivrgvs) I still think that the familiar should level up as his Master does and not at fixed intervals (<- solution chosen by Rabain which you seem to agree with).

Also, from P&P a familiar should grant the summoner (as long as the familiar lives of course) a small Magic Resistance. I think it's a neat idea although I would let it be extremely low (but stackablle), to not spoil the game balance: a 1% Magic Resistance would be nice.

Actually Rabain's version of the spell gives the caster the option to choose among three familiars. The one with your own alignment and two more that share the same second attribute (Good, Neutral or Evil) so that a Lawful Evil summoner can choose Imp (LE), Dust Mephit (NE) or Quasit (CE). Last thing: we can't just give the Familiar regeneration only to accomodate solo players.

Yeah . . . except that the Imp, Quasit and Mephit are all basically the same creature: A little flying annoyance who can cast one defensive spell, and every once in a while can land a Critical Hit against a Kobold. As an Evil PC, you don't even have the option of choosing a Familiar with Thieving skills. As for the Regeneration, one hp per hour isn't going to make an iota of difference, except for a solo player whose only way to heal his Familiar is the Rod of Resurrection. Idea: Add dialogue option to be able to feed Healing Potions to one's Familiar.

Thought: Currently, the Familiar suddenly improves in power when you move into the ToB part of the game (I assume this means beating SoA, and not simply traveling to Watcher's Keep). Is this change hardcoded, or can you remove it so that the Familiar's strength is based solely on the PC's level?

The whole Baldur's Gate game is meant for a party, not for a single character. People that plays solo will have to do it with that in mind and take risks accordingly.

True . . . but, in the case of Familiars, dealing with that "risk" usually means "You can help out in Jon's Dungeon, but as soon as we get out, I'm filling up my Inventory so that the first item I drop is you."

Demivrgvs,

just out of curioisity: do you have any ETA for SR v3 yet?

Am I right assuming that there won't be any more Hotfixes untill v3 is out?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I really don't know...the only thing that requires a good amount of time is revising familiars, but unfortunately I have very little time for modding lately. :thumbsup:

If there's any very annoying or game-breaking bug I can post a hotfix as soon as I fix it, but currently there shouldn't be any, am I wrong?

If there's any very annoying or game-breaking bug I can post a hotfix as soon as I fix it, but currently there shouldn't be any, am I wrong?

Not that I know of.

Take your time, Demivrgvs!

Sooner or later you might find some free time (perhaps Xmas holyday) to go back to your modding! :thumbsup:

In the meantime, good luck with real life stuff... :thumbsup:

Hi!

I don't know if this has been attended before, but regarding False Dawn. I don't feel it is an appropriate druid spell, does anyone agree?

Could you tell us why you think that?

I personally don't have a problem with False Dawn being an appropriate druidic spell.

Hi!

I don't know if this has been attended before, but regarding False Dawn. I don't feel it is an appropriate druid spell, does anyone agree?

I personally don't have a problem with False Dawn being an appropriate druidic spell.

I think chasing vampires is a clerical observation :thumbsup: not something a neutral druid would do.

I think chasing vampires is a clerical observation :thumbsup: not something a neutral druid would do.
I'll let you players decide, my thoughts are:

- druids do consider undead creatures as mortal enemies imo, they are very "unnatural" and they defy the most most natural of all things, life-and-death cycle

- False Dawn and Sunray belong to "Sphere: Sun" and thus I do think they were both intended as very druidic spells

That being said I admit that False Dawn seems to have something less druidic than Sunburst, but I can't understand what it is...it's just a feeling. Perhaps it's just its name, whereas the 3rd edition Sunbeam does seem more druidic.

False Dawn and Searing Orb have always been strange spells...they were supposed to be effective praticaly only against undead creatures, and they both were quite bad at doing their job imo.

What does their PnP counterparts looks like, I don't remember them... or where they BG-only spells?

I can agree with both the "very "unnatural"" part and the "Sphere:Sun" part, but it may be a feeling only for my part, that False Down can be cast by druids... hence this discussion :thumbsup:

Harpers Call

It says in the text that it gives -5 to abilities to the raised one, but my stats turns to 25...

Fixpack issue. You can get a hotfix here. Either put them in Fixpack's copy folder before installing it, or stick them directly in override (I don't think many things would alter them).

Archived