Happy 10th, Baldurs Gate.

LadeJarl

Number of times I have died vs Tarnesh: 12

Current Record Holder of the quickest death: 3 seconds. (Spawn mage with min stats and attack a nearby guard, tutu, you don't start with memorized spells)

1 Second. BG1, cast magic Missile on self.

Icen

"Hmmm, what does this spell do?" :thumbsup:

I have had one of the most amusing things ever in a game happen to me while playing BG1. I had my party all set up in one of the many narrow corridors to use a lightning bolt to obliterate a mage and his chums by getting the bolt to zig-zag repeatedly through them. I cast the spell and all my careful angle judging left the targets untouched, while frying my entire party, with the exception of my Boots of Grounding equipped Bhaalspawn, who was summarily evaporated by magic missiles.

I remember reading all those glowing reviews and the whole manual before starting game.

All the world details...

Those inns taverns with their customs and meals...

I wanted to see them all. To have fun on a party in Jovial Juggler and then eat a tasty meal like in Ultima 7

Spells...

Animating dead - I wanted to animate an ogre skeleton like in description...

I wanted to play an intelligent, charismatic diplomat like in Fallout...

It was such a disappointment...

All the things written about taverns and inns weren't there...

Characters didn't need food...

Animate dead was just a summoning spell...

There were no stat/skill checks in dialogues...

The game was too linear...

There are plenty of stat/skill checks in dialogue. CHA matters a lot in BG1.

Icen

Plenty? Where? Also, what skill checks?

CHA? You mean reaction? It doesn't change anything as high CHA doesn't give any new dialogue options.

BTW - IIRC reaction is bugged and if you have too high CHA, the reaction can actually get worse.

Whenever a character is a mentally retarded - INT 3, WIS 3 or a genius INT 18, WIS 18, she gets the same dialogue options.

I have now. Interesting little piece, I must say, particularly the insights into how the fans added to a lot of the relationships. Plus the fact that Imoen wasn't a planned character and was a stopgap solution. Funny how things turn out, innit?

I have now. Interesting little piece, I must say, particularly the insights into how the fans added to a lot of the relationships. Plus the fact that Imoen wasn't a planned character and was a stopgap solution. Funny how things turn out, innit?

Now I know why she doesn't have a banter dialog file... :(

Archived