Updating mods mid-install.

Jarin

Well, I just rigged up my BG2 mod install 3 days ago, and then.... Item Revisions V2 came out. So, I want to update, but I for obvious reasons don't want to delete my BG2 installation and start all over again.

So... how does one update mods?

(If one thinks that my english sucks, I totally agree with him)

Well, I just rigged up my BG2 mod install 3 days ago, and then.... Item Revisions V2 came out. So, I want to update, but I for obvious reasons don't want to delete my BG2 installation and start all over again.

You extract the new version of the mod to your BG folder (overwriting the old files), run Setup-modname.exe, and choose the [R]e-install option for installed components (doing so will automatically restore your install to the state before the mod was installed - uninstalling the mod and any mods installed after it - then install the component(s), and follow that up by reinstalling any mods that were installed after it). It's possible that re-installing mods that add new dialogue strings will mess up the dialogue references in existing save games, and I wouldn't recommend doing so if this is a concern.

You extract the new version of the mod to your BG folder (overwriting the old files), run Setup-modname.exe, and choose the [R]e-install option for installed components (doing so will automatically restore your install to the state before the mod was installed - uninstalling the mod and any mods installed after it - then install the component(s), and follow that up by reinstalling any mods that were installed after it). It's possible that re-installing mods that add new dialogue strings will mess up the dialogue references in existing save games, and I wouldn't recommend doing so if this is a concern.

Somehow I thought it would be much worse then that (I've had previous horrific experiences with WeiDU'ing). Luckily IR doesn't add new dialogue so...

Thanks for the help.

Luckily IR doesn't add new dialogue so...

Thanks for the help.

Well, there ARE an awful lot of item description changes in nearly every component.

Given that this is one of the two authors of IR talking with you, this procedure is likely to work.

But sometimes, when a revision gets rid of a file, this is not the perfect way to do things.

Instead, what you do is: uninstall the mod that you are wanting to update, by clicking on the

zzz.exe of the version that you have installed. i.e. the one that is hanging around in your SoA

directory. This will remove what you have just fine.

Then you delete the files that came with the old version -- the xxx.exe and the XXXX folder.

Then you download the new version.

And then -- depending on how simple your modding life is, you can just run the new exe again

and get what you want installed in.

But this will only work if your mods are of the sort that it mostly doesn't matter what order they

are installed in. If your installation is complex, then this simple procedure will not work for you.

(so try it and see if it works.)

If not, you need to go here http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?autocom...&showcat=72

and download the english pdf (unless you read German -- the original is in German and if you can read German, downloading the other and reading it is also of use, even if you intend to play in English. I

know reading the German version has helped me to no end, even though my German is only really

at the 'order meals and read technical docs' level). Then you follow that install order.

It will suggest that you install IR in two pieces -- the core fixes and the other stuff.

And if you want to install Never Ending Journey, Check the Bodies, and a bunch of other mods,

yes, that will be required.

I am still a novice at this, but my setup is complicated enough to need the pdf order, so if your problem

is messed up dialogs try it this way. Also the Quest Pack AI components screw up everything, so if

you want to install that, you have a different problem. we can try to discuss this at SHS as well

in the mega-mod forum. I have a partial fix but awaiting more input from experts there.

Good luck.

Laura

Archived