Installing Fixpack on OS X not working

Hi all,

As by most forum rules I've tried to do as much research on my own before asking advice from others. However, I have been unable to install the fixpack on my macbook4.1 w/ OS X.

Firstly though, I should say that I have had many problems with the Mac version of Baldur's Gate since I got it (this monday, new copy from amazon). First it wouldn't even start until i did the full install, then it only plays in window mode. Then once I started playing every once in a while my characters will freeze, they just won't move. Happened in the middle of a battle and I died horribly. So whenever that happens I had to save, quit and restart. If that wasn't annoying enough now every time I try saving the game it fails, so now I can't even save. I scoured the internet for a solution and came upon the gibberlings3 fixpack. Somebody somewhere else said that this fixes that problem(but maybe it doesn't).

However, I downloaded the fixpack, copied it into my Bg II application folder and then tried to open the command file to no avail. It says:

The file “Setup-bg2fixpack.command†could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges.

So then, I tried going into terminal and allowing myself access it through ways elaborated on this board

via chmod+x then dragging the command file in, except when i do that it says no such file or directory exists.

Then i tried downloading the WeiDU, but I get the same problems.

At this point I don't even know if this mod will fix my particular problems, but if there is anyone out there that can help me, it would be much appreciated.

p.s. the original reason i bought the game is to play it w/ my bro who lives in canada however the multiplayer doesn't work either. I can't even create my own multiplayer game with my own party. It's really annoying.

Thanks in advance

> First it wouldn't even start until i did the full install ...

BG2 SOA or BG2 TOB? Did you install the official patch?

> ... then it only plays in window mode.

You can switch to full screen and back with Command-M. Your monitor must be able to do the resolution you selected with BGConfig (1024x768 is the max working resolution).

> Then once I started playing every once in a while my characters will freeze, they just won't move.

Yes, this is one of the quirks of Mac BG2. The only fix is to save, exit the game, and restart.

> now every time I try saving the game it fails, so now I can't even save.

You need to turn off Spotlight for the BG folder. System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy

> Somebody somewhere else said that this fixes that problem(but maybe it doesn't).

MacBG2 TOB incorrectly makes "temp" a file instead of a folder. BG2Fixpack creates "fix-temp" to solve the problem but it's easier to just delete the file yourself.

> via chmod+x then dragging the command file in, except when i do that it says no such file or directory exists.

Your de-archiving application is not setting the execute permission correctly. The correct usage of chmod is:

chmod +x drag-and-drop-the-file-here-then-press-return

> At this point I don't even know if this mod will fix my particular problems

BG2 Fixpack fixes so many problems with the game's data files that it has become the de facto standard.

Archived