Uninstallation

-JR-

Is there something you can do if you want to start fresh, or delete all modifications to the game without going through and erasing every file? I don't think installing the game does it, some files always remain.

Is there something you can do if you want to start fresh, or delete all modifications to the game without going through and erasing every file? I don't think installing the game does it, some files always remain.

Removing WeiDU.log, all mod folders, the override folder, dialog.tlk, bgmain.exe, and chitin.key, and then replacing the last 4 with your backups might be enough.

Edit: But yes, I'd also advise a fresh install (or copy/paste of clean directory) if you intend to play with it much after that.

I only ask because it seems every Baldur's Gate mod I've got is now at least partially corrupted.. I really need to stop installing experimental and untrustworthy mods (aka anything other than G3). From time to time, I'll be approached by a Kivan spouting insectoid-chittering sounds and quoting spell rules to me, or other similar monstrous perversions, and I'm getting sick of reinstalling mods every single day.

*sigh* I think it would just be easier to just save my important files to a disk and revert my computer to factory condition.. It's already pretty much empty after my last crash, one that deleted seven-ish years of work and writings. I do seem to have the worst luck when it comes to this sort of thing.

I only ask because it seems every Baldur's Gate mod I've got is now at least partially corrupted.. I really need to stop installing experimental and untrustworthy mods (aka anything other than G3). From time to time, I'll be approached by a Kivan spouting insectoid-chittering sounds and quoting spell rules to me, or other similar monstrous perversions, and I'm getting sick of reinstalling mods every single day.
The problem you're describing is due to mismatch dialogue which occurs when unstalling+re-installing mods--then using a saved game to continue your game.

Unfortunately, there's no way to avoid this even if you install mods in the exact same order (although doing so greatly reduces the mismatching).

The workarounds are to try to fix any probs in the game without re-installing; or re-install and live with the mismatch dialogues.

Helpful links:

--> (sort of) Automatic way to uninstall mods

--> (sort of) automatic ways to INSTALL mods

--> Building and Maintaining a Clean Install <-- beautiful, makes resetting your game to default environment so easy, so quick, never leave home without it.

*sigh* I think it would just be easier to just save my important files to a disk and revert my computer to factory condition.. It's already pretty much empty after my last crash, one that deleted seven-ish years of work and writings. I do seem to have the worst luck when it comes to this sort of thing.
Plase tell us you do regular Backups...
Well, if you uninstall the game and then remove the previous installation folder(as it still contains the installed mod files) before you install the game back into it works perfectly.

PS: remember to install the patch also.

Archived