Is remove magic too powerful?

culmore

I really like scs2, a great mod for sure, lots of fun.

Remove magic is very powerful imo. The computer mob is typically higher level than my party of four and all the AI mage has to do is cast this spell and all my buffing is wasted (well apart from the spell shield type of spells, spell trap etc). I don't know of any counter to this spell, I don't think SI:Abj helps, nor does a GoI. When I fight liches now I don't bother to pre buff very much, because they cast remove magic.

is there any counter measure to dispel/remove magic?

is it too powerful?

The mob does not need level 9 wish and "destroy my enemies magical defences". Just cast level 3 remove magic and AOE away!

Spreading my part out helps.

I have Spell revisions installed and Remove Magic is in the spell school universal! The paper manual says it is spell school abjuration. When I test it on my own party Si:Abj does not stop dispel magic. But this may not be true for the enemy and may not be true in the vanilla game.

Maybe I posted this on the wrong forum.

For the point of view of my party it would be nice if SI:ABj blocked dispel/remove magic.

/EDIT My bad! Dispel Magic is in school Universal, Remove magic is in school Abj. I had assumed they where both in the same school in Spell Revisions, and they are not. /END EDIT Thanks Raj

I have Spell revisions installed and Remove Magic is in the spell school universal! The paper manual says it is spell school abjuration. When I test it on my own party Si:Abj does not stop dispel magic. But this may not be true for the enemy and may not be true in the vanilla game.

For the point of view of my party it would be nice if SI:ABj blocked dispel/remove magic.

Both Dispel Magic and Remove Magic belong to the Abjuration school as of SR V2 (I think they were considered "universal" only in a pre-release V1), and should be blocked by SI:Abj.

Both Dispel Magic and Remove Magic belong to the Abjuration school as of SR V2 (I think they were considered "universal" only in a pre-release V1), and should be blocked by SI:Abj.

In my v2 SR it looks like SI:Abj only blocks Remove Magic ( spwi302 ). Dispel Magic (spwi326 and sppr303 ) is classified as school-less and therefore not blocked.

Enemy wizads with SCS2 always cast Remove Magic afaik so you can protect yourself and bypass their protection with Dispel Magic, that when casted by a cleric should work most of the time at high levels, or even better cast it with a inquisitor.

For the SoA part of the game the party has very little chance to overcome enemies defences with a Dispel Magic anyway, but it always autodispels mirror images and magical created weapons like Melf meteors.

If you are not using SR then SI:Abj is almost useless ( protects against imprisonment and little else ).

I'm going to test the (minor)globe of invulnerability against dispel magic now, afaik it wasn't working and that's a ( unjustified ) shame, it could be something to add to sr v3 :)

In my v2 SR it looks like SI:Abj only blocks Remove Magic ( spwi302 ). Dispel Magic (spwi326 and sppr303 ) is classified as school-less and therefore not blocked.

Enemy wizads with SCS2 always cast Remove Magic afaik so you can protect yourself and bypass their protection with Dispel Magic, that when casted by a cleric should work most of the time at high levels, or even better cast it with a inquisitor.

For the SoA part of the game the party has very little chance to overcome enemies defences with a Dispel Magic anyway, but it always autodispels mirror images and magical created weapons like Melf meteors.

If you are not using SR then SI:Abj is almost useless ( protects against imprisonment and little else ).

I'm going to test the (minor)globe of invulnerability against dispel magic now, afaik it wasn't working and that's a ( unjustified ) shame, it could be something to add to sr v3 :)

You're right, I apparently made only Remove Magic an Abjuration spell while I left Dispel Magic as "Universal".

I have an exam tomorrow, thus I have no time right now to discuss, but I think the whole Dispel/Remove Magic, Globe of Invulnerability and SI issue deserve an in-depth discussion to see what should be done for V3.

I'm going to test the (minor)globe of invulnerability against dispel magic now, afaik it wasn't working and that's a ( unjustified ) shame, it could be something to add to sr v3 ;)

Your right about dispel and remove magic in Spell revisions. Thanks good news. So at least my wizards have a defense against remove magic using SI:Abj. I'll be casting that oftenly!

Also the idea of minor GoI/GoI blocking remove/dispel is an interesting one! I did test today with minor globles on all my party members using limited wish and the minor globes always came down on the first cast of cleric dispel magic.

I had a thought today that says dispel magic is fair because it can hurt the caster as much as the target (okay you have to get close to the caster which is not too hard for the human player). But remove magic is the killer spell, i was even thinking of just getting rid of that spell out of the game all together. Mind you I have to learn a bit about the dev tools. :)

Remove the IDS entry, and the scroll and you are sorted. :)

Icen

Icen which directory/file is the IDS entry in? Do I just need to edit the file with a text editor or do I need to download some tools to "compile" the file I edit?

Oh and where is the scroll, do you mean in game in my spell book?

Thanks

No, you would use Near Infinity to destroy them. I think WeiDU can remove IDS entries, and I am not too sure how you would destroy an item.

You could remove all references to it from the game, however.

Use NI and text search all the IDS files for remove magic and whatever filename the scroll has, and edit them all out.

Icen

Archived