Nalia oddities and a Dirbert bug

1) If you meet Nalia in the DeArnise Keep, begin that quest, but then dismiss her midway through, she goes back to the Copper Coronet, rather than back to the palisade with Captain Arat. If you then go on to kill Torgal without her, in order to get credit for finishing the quest, you need to go back to the Copper Coronet and recruit Nalia.

Nalia will then start spewing lines she would have said had she been there at the Keep, in a nonsensical fashion in the middle of the Copper Coronet:

nalia1.jpg

She then tells you she'll say more when you "get out of there", by which she obviously doesn't mean the Copper Coronet. If you then travel to the DeArnise keep, she'll reward you once you arrive in AR1300.

I think this could be handled so that it all made sense. I don't know how difficult it would be, however, but ideally, it would be best if she were scripted to return to the palisade and react as if she did if she were never in the party.

(The above is all the same, fixpack or no fixpack, I believe.)

2) If you agree to get ales and swords for Dirbert and his fellow youths in the Umar Hills, and then return, he'll only recognize the swords in your inventory only if you have exactly three Bastard Swords. If you have more than three, he won't.

I.e.: if your inventory looks like this:

dirbert-four.jpg

Then you'll get these dialogue options:

dirbert-alesonly.jpg

But if you drop a sword on the ground:

dirbert-three.jpg

Then you get these dialogue options:

dirbert-both.jpg

Oddly, however, it seems to be fine to have more than one Baalor ale.

I think this would probably be pretty easy to fix.

Again, the above is all the same fixpack or no fixpack, from what I can tell.

Trivial little thing: Acolyte Lara makes a grammatical error in the Lathander cleric stronghold, saying "should not have been their problem" instead of "should not have been <his/her> problem" (depending on Charname's sex). Notice Cotirso gets it right!

grammaticalerror.jpg

(Sorry for the weird shaped screenshot. I was using the Widescreen mod on a rotated monitor.)

<<<<<<<< "BG2Fixpack/Inlined/Dirbert-swords.d"
REPLACE_TRANS_TRIGGER "UHKID01" BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 0 END 
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 2 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 4 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 6 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 7 END
"NumItemsParty("SW1H01",3)" "NumItemsPartyGT("SW1H01",2)"
>>>>>>>>

You can throw that in setup-BG2Fixpack.tp2 and install. Report any errors you get back to me, because I coded it here without testing.

Icen

It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Not knowing any Weidu myself, I wasn't entirely sure where in the .tp2 file I was supposed to put it, and that might make a difference. Anyway, I put it here:

/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\
/////												  \\\\\
///// Begin core component							 \\\\\
/////												  \\\\\

BEGIN @0

REPLACE_TRANS_TRIGGER "UHKID01" BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 0 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 2 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 4 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 6 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 7 END
"NumItemsParty("SW1H01",3)" "NumItemsPartyGT("SW1H01",2)"
>>>>>>>>

Should that have worked?

Of course, I'm not so much looking for a fix for myself, since once you know about the bug, it's very easy to guard against. It's more to help others. I do know that I've gotten this in the past and not known what was wrong, and had to settle for just giving them the ales.

Now that I know about it, of course, I drop any additional bastard swords, so it's not a problem.

P.S. What do you think about Chrome, by the way? I have mixed reports.

Yes, that is correct placement in the TP2. :)

Chrome is nice, very fast and no RAM leaks, but has problems with some PHP scripts. Such as BioWare's. The textboxes are a little weird, and Accounts.Bioware is messed up for me right now.

Icen

Yes, that is correct placement in the TP2. :)

Don't forget to compile it. I suspect the syntax might need a change, too.

I think

BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 0 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 2 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 4 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 6 END
BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 7 END

should be

BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 0 2 4 6 7 END

Edit: and maybe change your quotes to tildes in this case.

Quotes and tildes are handled identically in this case, I think.

I changed to your method in my main thread, but the readme said this:" BEGIN statenumber END BEGIN transnumber END list" so I took it to list the BEGINs and ENDs as well.

Icen

Quotes and tildes are handled identically in this case, I think.

I was concerned that WeiDU might hang up on the quotes within the quotes.

I changed to your method in my main thread, but the readme said this:" BEGIN statenumber END BEGIN transnumber END list" so I took it to list the BEGINs and ENDs as well.

Icen

I thought that it said 'REPLACE_TRANS_TRIGGER filename BEGIN stateNumber list END BEGIN transNumber list END oldText newText'. :)

Edit: This works.

REPLACE_TRANS_TRIGGER "UHKID01" BEGIN 16 END BEGIN 0 1 3 5 7 8 END
~NumItemsParty("SW1H01",3)~ ~NumItemsPartyGT("SW1H01",2)~

Well, if you want me to test it, you may need to give me some more instruction.

I tried putting:

alone in that spot in the .tp2, and that gave me a parse error.

I also tried putting:

>>>>>>>>

The fixpack installed, but the bug was not fixed.

I also tried inserting the code in Icen's other thread, and that returned some kind of File Not Found error.

I'm happy waiting for the next official release of the fixpack to have this included, but I was trying to be helpful by doing the testing of the fix myself.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I should learn WeiDU myself, but I'm too lazy.

Well, if you want me to test it, you may need to give me some more instruction.

Sorry. :) I tested as much as installing and looking in NI to see that the proper states appeared changed, but anything further would be appreciated.

I tried putting:

These are .d commands and need to be compiled. It looks like the Fixpack sticks most dialogue fixes in bg2fixpack/compile/soa-dlg.d - adding it to the end of that file is probably best.

I was concerned that WeiDU might hang up on the quotes within the quotes.
Indeed. I'd be wholly surprised if the parser didn't barf on that, and if not, the results may not be as expected (how is the parser to know which of the four quotes are "real" and which are part of the replacement strings).

As suggested, the dialogue needs to be compiled, either by appending a COMPILE "BG2Fixpack/Inlined/Dirbert-swords.d" after the inlined data or by just dumping it into a D file that already gets compiled with the fixpack.

Nalia's quest related issues are numerous and longstanding. The code around it is fairly convoluted and unjustifiably involved, so it's not a likely candidate for some easy patching.

The missing token is just an easy string change, although it's not completely necessary to always use <PRO_HIMHER> and such IMO.

I tried putting:

These are .d commands and need to be compiled. It looks like the Fixpack sticks most dialogue fixes in bg2fixpack/compile/soa-dlg.d - adding it to the end of that file is probably best.

That worked, thanks.

Shall I assume this will be put in the next release? Or even the hotfixes?

The missing token is just an easy string change, although it's not completely necessary to always use <PRO_HIMHER> and such IMO.

Obviously, it isn't a big deal. That's why I called it "insignificant". It is grammatically incorrect as is, but I probably only noticed it because of the mismatch between Lara and Cotirso. But I don't really care; I wouldn't have mentioned it if I weren't mentioning the other things.

I also understand about Nalia, though maybe someone will be inspired to give it a go at some point.

Since I've got your attention, there's also a bug in that the game does not apply non-proficiency penalties to ranged weapons that use ammunition. I kinda suspect that's not moddable, but I thought I'd mention it in case it was. EDIT: I see that's already in BETA Core Fixes, so nevermind.

Archived