Durlag's chessboard bug?

Lemernis

I was having a bit too hard a time with Durlag's chessboard (it's a BGT game with SCS installed), so I uninstalled the component "Improved Durlag's Tower." Now I find the party members are rooted to their square, and the screen jerks back their back row locations when I try to at least move the PC forward to go after the king. I've never seen that before in the vanilla game. Anyone know if this a bug? Or is rooting tha party to their squares a feature BGT adds?

I was having a bit too hard a time with Durlag's chessboard (it's a BGT game with SCS installed), so I uninstalled the component "Improved Durlag's Tower." Now I find the party members are rooted to their square, and the screen jerks back their back row locations when I try to at least move the PC forward to go after the king. I've never seen that before in the vanilla game. Anyone know if this a bug? Or is rooting tha party to their squares a feature BGT adds?

I had the same problem a while back though not after unstalling a component from SCS, but from using a version of SCS that had the chessboard bug. The post and replies I got were helpful to me though I'm not sure if your problem is something different.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/to....html#msg295133

And a link in my original thread:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=7743

In my experience even if you can get to the area transition on the other side of the chessboard, you'll still be moved back to the start. Perhaps in your case you could reinstall SCS without the improved Durlag's Tower over your current installation? Or if that doesn't work reinstall it again with the improved component and see if you can move off the squares again? If that works maybe the solution the problem is trying different tactics in game. Failing that perhaps a whole install of everything and leave out the improved Durlag's Tower (a pain in the arse, I know) though I'm not sure if your current save games would be compatible.

Thanks.

Hmm. I guess I'll reinstall "Improved Durlag's" and if all else fails use Ctrl + Y if I have to. That cheat has always been anathema to me, but the practical reality is that I've become a bit burnt out on BG gaming and otherwise I'll probably never never finish the game. I do want to eventually get to the BG2 leg and check out some NPC mods that I've installed for the first time.

I guess I'll give a few more tries at winning the chessboard with "Improved Durlag's" (re)installed.

I see the king has a globe surrounding him. Didn't check to see if it's MGoI or GoI, but in all events I'm trying to use level 5 and higher spells anyway. Nothing seems to be working. Does he have Magic Resistance?

I'm not sure if its MGoI, though if you've got the latest SCS installed doesn't that uses BG2 spells? When I did the chessboard it was a couple years back and only with BG1 spells.

In terms of tatics it depends on who is in your party and what equipment you've got. I know potions of defence and insulation (so you can move about and not be hurt by lightning) are useful. I'd say anything that can slow down the advance of the enemy such as web and summons, and any area effect spells. I'm assuming you'd don't have cloudkill but I think fireballs may work. Wands of fire and monster summoning are ideal, especially if you have more than one arcane caster. Another thing that works in battles where you need to neutralise tough enemies (Aec'lectec and Sarevok spring to mind), is to use Otilukes Resilient Sphere to isolate the king. Though this won't work against MGoI, you could isolate other targets to make it easier. I've had it work quite reliably on various targets even with seemingly high magic resistance. Not sure if it bypasses it or I was just lucky?

I recall it being probably the toughest fight in the game prior to the last battle so you really have to throw everything at it.

Party:

Multiclass (via Shadowkeeper) Kensai 8/Mage 9

Imoen - Thief 11

Ajantis - Paladin 11

Branwen - Cleric 9

Coran - Fighter 8/ Thief 9

Dynaheir - Invoker 10

It's a BGT game so, yep, I've got BG2 spells. Both the PC and Dyna can cast level 5 spells. And I've completed Dark Side of the Sword Coast which drops a lot of higher level BG2 spells (a lot of them custom spells). I've tried Domination and a level 8 DSotSC spell, Insanity. So far the king is saving against them.

It's probably time to trot out my standard BG2 spell combo of Chaos and Emotion (and in this case also Greater Malison) which so often works wonders on many a BG2 mob.

I do have Cloudkill, actually. I could use that also, and give the PC the Periapt of Poison.

PC has used the Greenstone Amulet, and is buffed with Stoneskin, Shield, potions of defense, heroism, absorption, and cloud giant strength. I also have a potion of power, I guess I could use that instead of the potion of heorism.

Unfortunately I do not have BG2 spells that would remove high level enemy defenses, such as Lower Resistance, Breach, Pierce Magic, Khelben's Warding Whip, etc.

Archived