Dispel/Remove Magic

Demivrgvs

Yeah, for example with 2% instead of 5% a 25th lvl lich would have a 70% chance to dispel a 15HD creature instead of 99%. If it wasn't for the drawback I mentioned I think it would improve the balance of this spell considerably, wouldn't it? :)

Definitely!

I do hope something like this can be done! :hm:

I remember hearing that if Dispel successfully brings down any of the active enchantments on a character, it will bring them all down
Apparently not. I've been rather extensively testing dispels as of late, and there've been cases when only part of buffs were stripped away.
I remember hearing that if Dispel successfully brings down any of the active enchantments on a character, it will bring them all down
Apparently not. I've been rather extensively testing dispels as of late, and there've been cases when only part of buffs were stripped away.

I suppose you're testing Taimon's Fix though, and this may actually mean it's making dispel a lot better than it was! I'm quite sure in vanilla it either removed nothing or everything, and that was because it worked 100% of the times or never, whereas Taimon has apparently restored the % chance. Having it affect each buff separately as per PnP would be great!
About the mechanics of Dispel Magic: I need to be absolutely clear on this.

1) I remember hearing that if Dispel successfully brings down any of the active enchantments on a character, it will bring them all down--so what will happen if a Level 35 Archmage sets up a huge nest of spell & combat protections, and also drinks a Potion of Agility? Could a single Level 5 Dispel bring all that crashing down?

Yes, as long as they are not protected via the "No dispel" bit in the resistance field. The random value gets only rolled once per dispel.

To be clear: Does Dispel/Remove look at the Casting Level of the spell (capped at 20 in almost all cases), or at the Caster Level of the person who cast it?

The latter. It looks at what's stored in the effect (0xC8) when invoked with param2 = 1.

Unless Taimon is both willing & able to (once again) touch the "Cure: Dispellable Effects" opcode with his noodly appendage, that is.

I have no idea what a noodly appendage is, but if someone could summarize in a few sentences what needs to be done (once the debate has finished) and gives me a pointer to it, I'll give it a shot.

The random value gets only rolled once per dispel.
Then I can only wonder how it came possible

1) wizard casts MI and Blur

2) dispel removes MI but not blur

3) another dispel removes blur

I did have the 'AoE flag' installed though.

Well, I am not against the cap itself, but that the spell can remove any spell on the wizard. I would like it if the spell could remove only certain spells... like for example up to 5th level. And the (M)GoI needs to protect from the spell and it's affects.
This is hardcoded and flat-out can't be done.
Are you sure? Cause the GoI has an ability that makes it unremovable by dispel/remove magic, so that ability can be used to protect all the spells up wards from the 6th level... as Taimon already said.

This is hardcoded...

Unless Taimon is both willing & able to (once again) touch the "Cure: Dispellable Effects" opcode with his noodly appendage, that is.

Well if it's just that the GoI can't be, then say so, and don't quote the whole text... :hm:
Then I can only wonder how it came possible

1) wizard casts MI and Blur

2) dispel removes MI but not blur

3) another dispel removes blur

No idea, will have a look at it later.

Same dispel caster? And same protection caster for both protections?

The noodly appendage is a reference to this.

Yeah, eventually I figured it out via Urban Dictionary. :hm:

Thanks, though.

I would like it if the spell could remove only certain spells... like for example up to 5th level. And the (M)GoI needs to protect from the spell and it's affects.
This is hardcoded and flat-out can't be done.
Are you sure? Cause the GoI has an ability that makes it unremovable by dispel/remove magic, so that ability can be used to protect all the spells up wards from the 6th level...

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that GoI can't "shield" from Dispel, I meant that we modders can't really control what spell protections/spell levels are and aren't removed by Dispel/Remove, because the "Cure Dispellable Effects" opcode doesn't let you pick & choose what kinds of spells (or spell levels) you want it to affect. Of course, now that I give this a bit of actual thought, we could actually go through all the upper-level spells in the game and set them to be non-dispellable, but that kind of big change could bite us on the ass if we're not careful. For one thing, if an effect is set to No Dispel, I don't even know whether or not a "Remove Specific" like Pierce Shield or Spellstrike can still bring it down.

And yes, hacking the EXE -> modder god -> Flying Spaghetti Monster. :hm:

Archived