I am starting to dislike that prebuff component

AzureDrag0n1

What I mean to say is that I personally, would wish to have a challenging game but also a hope to not have to rely on metagaming and to finish the game without the "Game Over" sequence.

I think this is quite achievable unless your goal includes "kill all enemies" as well. Just accept that there are fights that are too dangerous to engage in. I think it adds some layer of complication to decisions "to fight or not to fight". Do you really have to fight Firkraag? Demogorgon? You make wrong decision - you die.

Situation with liches involves some metagaming, that's true. For example, you can not know about Shangalar, who guards Staff of Magi, in advance. You don't even know you're going to fight, just step into the door and face a lich. But you might just as well enter this door being 8th level and alone. This is not a justification for making this fight winnable for 8th level warrior. You just got unlucky and died, that's all. However, even without metagaming, you can avoid most liches in the game, and, I think, it's possible to run away from the one in Spellhold, if you happen to meet him.

Remember the advice from the dude in the second area near Candlekeep? "There is no shame in running when your life is on a stake".

Archived