Suggestion

Strontium Dog

I very much like this version of Spell Revisions but many current suggestions, IMO, nerf the spells too much. There is a tendency , in some mods, to over-perfect changes so that there are fewer benefits, in the long run. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be a great idea to post download links for any earlier (bug-free) versions so that people unhappy with any new changes can stick to earlier tried-and-true alterations.

Also, I personally think that the wild-mage wild surge tables need improving. I would love more interesting, more eccentric results than the ones I currently have.

Oh, and the death knight animation of the summon death knight spell is that of a demon knight. This is wrong, IMO. A death-knight should look rather like a robed skeleton warrior or perhaps a lich.

I very much like this version of Spell Revisions but many current suggestions, IMO, nerf the spells too much.
Which spells are going to be nerfed too much in your opinion? Taking a look at the current "plans for future release" very few spells will be nerfed. From a general point of view I'm quite sure SR increases the effectiveness of most spells while it reduces the effectiveness only of the clearly overpowered ones. The number of spells which has become or will become more useful/powerful greatly exceeds the number of spells nerfed imo, and when we decide to nerf a spell we generally have a very good reason for doing it.

There is a tendency , in some mods, to over-perfect changes so that there are fewer benefits, in the long run. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be a great idea to post download links for any earlier (bug-free) versions so that people unhappy with any new changes can stick to earlier tried-and-true alterations.
I keep old versions of IR and SR myself, and I may be able to provide them if necessary, but I don't think we'll provide official links to versions considered "obsolete".

Also, I personally think that the wild-mage wild surge tables need improving. I would love more interesting, more eccentric results than the ones I currently have.
That would be fun, but I don't think it's something we can do...

Oh, and the death knight animation of the summon death knight spell is that of a demon knight. This is wrong, IMO. A death-knight should look rather like a robed skeleton warrior or perhaps a lich.
Actually Demon Knight and Death Knight are the very same creature, and SCS makes it even more clear as it grants to Demon Knights exactly the same abilities I've assigned to Death Knights. The correct name from a PnP point of view is SR's one and from Wikipedia:

"In Dungeons & Dragons and other fantasy roleplaying games, a death knight (also known as a doom knight or demon knight) is a mighty warrior animated as an undead creature by the gods of death, evil deities, demon lords, or other malevolent forces."

Take a look at AD&D Monster Manual and you'll see that the current animation is perfect.

That would be fun, but I don't think it's something we can do...

Aren't these the SPWM###.SPL files?

I'm starting to think the opposite: SR gives players too many 'new' good spell choices that SCS2 AI never uses because its creator flagged many spells as useless. I didn't see enemy mages summon nishruus for example, and any buff to aoe party unfriendly spells is a indirect buff to the human players who can aim them effectively. Anyway, it's a single player game so it's about you to abuse the enemy AI or play fair, or even avoid use tactics the enemy AI doesn't use.

The changes listed at page 1 of V3 plans topic are balanced, it's the whole topic getting confusing ( 2 pages of comments about the illusion school are the apotheosis of idiot geekery :) ). Many people are forgetting that if you don't want a spell to be modified you can just comment it out before the installation ( there're the instructions in the readme ).

Overall my only complaint is that V3 is taking too long to be released ;) j/k

I'm starting to think the opposite: SR gives players too many 'new' good spell choices that SCS2 AI never uses because its creator flagged many spells as useless. I didn't see enemy mages summon nishruus for example, and any buff to aoe party unfriendly spells is a indirect buff to the human players who can aim them effectively. Anyway, it's a single player game so it's about you to abuse the enemy AI or play fair, or even avoid use tactics the enemy AI doesn't use.

The changes listed at page 1 of V3 plans topic are balanced, it's the whole topic getting confusing ( 2 pages of comments about the illusion school are the apotheosis of idiot geekery :) ). Many people are forgetting that if you don't want a spell to be modified you can just comment it out before the installation ( there're the instructions in the readme ).

Overall my only complaint is that V3 is taking too long to be released ;) j/k

Personally, I would prefer it if SR and SCS creators both worked together to expand the numbers of useful spells that enemy mages/AI can cast, rather than limiting the number of actually useful spells players can cast.

Re demon-knight./death knight:- My mistake, I'd assumed that death knights were like Lord Soth of Dragon Lance campaign, with demon knights being demon-spawn such as cambions(after all, the animation/image of the cambion in Irenicus' dungeon is the same demon-knight image).

Personally, I would prefer it if SR and SCS creators both worked together to expand the numbers of useful spells that enemy mages/AI can cast, rather than limiting the number of actually useful spells players can cast.

ETA: Octember 2009,5 :)

Anyway the point was that

I very much like this version of Spell Revisions but many current suggestions, IMO, nerf the spells too much.

was wrong.

The SI should be made so that the target becomes immune to all of the specific spells(, so the spell needs also remove all the previously casted spells... and no new can be used, for or against, except*) after all, immunity works both ways...

You can't shoot through unbroken bullet-proof-class just because you are inside. Unless you use a cannon that takes you with it.

After all, there are other kinds of protections than just Abjurations. And nobody should be protected from all kinds of attacks, that don't relay on the 9th level spell called Spellstrike!

Nor should a caster that has a SI:Necromancy be able to heal himself. But he can take baths in Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. With his undead legion.

Or caster that has SI:Transmutation, be able to Haste himself & Timestop, and melee everything to death within Mind Flayer form.

Or caster protected by SI:Invocation, be harmed by his own AoE spells. Or have spell triggers.

Or caster protected by SI:Conjuration, be seen by the summoned creatures(done by, protection from summoned). But the demons would attack.

If one wants to make the spell remove the previous SI when it's casted second time, it would remove it AND the particular class spells.

This won't cause any foreseeable differences with the original games AI, but gives fare chance against everything else while keeping the original idea.

After all, this is a bit better than summoning cows on top of every caster that uses the particular spell. -don't you think?

Archived