Lua console

Taimon

Extra Combat Info may have been the "debug" layout that isn't actually in release. It was basically feedback for the entire calculation (about a whole console screen worth). That would be my guess (and as with everything else, they cut it before release); but yeah, the option shouldn't do anything that I could ever tell.

The research topic should still be valid; the Not Copyable (wtf?) and the "pausing" flags for dialogues are the biggest unknowns, and VVC and PRO knowledge is kind of flakey. The effect topics are more just stuff that nobody wants to really look into (and some, like the Detox bug, are already known).

This doesn't work for me (that's why I posted it).

m_nEffectTextLevel controls what is shown in the text window. (The first bit toggles the hit rolls. See the feedback options in the preferences.)

When "Extra Feedback" is set to 1 you get a couple of additional messages in the dialogue box for certain player initiated actions like spellcasting and attacking. For example, when this is turned on, starting to cast a spell produces this sort of message:

Edwin - is casting Breach: Mekrath

In the abovementioned example, Ediwin is the caster, Breach is the spell and Mekrath is the target. This uses STRREF #64333. Similarly, ordering Edwin to engage Mekrath in melee combat uses STRREF #64334 and will therefore produce this message:

Edwin - is Attacking Mekrath

Note that these messages pop up immediatelly after giving the order, regardles of the fact whether the game is paused or not.

Not Copyable (wtf?)

It might be related to the Identify scroll (SCRL75.ITM) in some way as that's one of the few items in the game which don't have that flag checked. This is consistent in BG1, IWD1 and BG2.

On the other hand, in PST, none of the arcane (wizard) spell scrolls have this flag checked while all divine (priest) spell scrolls do. Random speculation: the flag might possibly affect the ability to copy a scroll into the spellbook in that engine.

It might be related to the Identify scroll (SCRL75.ITM) in some way as that's one of the few items in the game which don't have that flag checked.
Except toggling the flag never made any difference for that scroll or any other item.

The difficulty multipliers might refer to the damage increase/decrease caused by game difficulty settings other than Core Rules.
This is correct. Value ranges from -50 to 100 depending on the chosen difficulty level.

I think "StupidQuickItemStuff" might be this:
This appears to be correct.
This doesn't work for me (that's why I posted it).

m_nEffectTextLevel controls what is shown in the text window. (The first bit toggles the hit rolls. See the feedback options in the preferences.)

When "Extra Feedback" is set to 1 you get a couple of additional messages in the dialogue box for certain player initiated actions like spellcasting and attacking. For example, when this is turned on, starting to cast a spell produces this sort of message:

Edwin - is casting Breach: Mekrath

This is configurable from the feedback options in the preferences (the 'actions' checkbox) and therefor also handled by m_nEffectTextLevel.

It's possible that's where the idea for the current label came from (I don't remember it ever being called anything else?), but it's not something that has any relevance to the original implementation or what the original intent of the flag was (really, who knows how or why anything works in PST).

As you can imagine, something that appears to have no effect whatsoever is pretty low on the list for priority investigations... :(

As you can imagine, something that appears to have no effect whatsoever is pretty low on the list for priority investigations... :D

What made me curious was that in BG1, SCRL75.ITM is the only item in the game which has this flag unchecked. :D

OTOH, in BG2, IWD1 and PST several items don't have it and most of them are spell scrolls too. Weird.

How many members can you decode from the 4DC8h size CInfGame and 720Ch size CBaldurChitin?
Haven't looked into any of them, yet.

Instead of doing some structured reversing, I'm more of an amateur and simply try to take a peek at things when something sounds interesting.

Fair enough. I've got a fair idea of some of these from what I've looked at, but yes these monsters would take a while to get through.
This is configurable from the feedback options in the preferences (the 'actions' checkbox) and therefor also handled by m_nEffectTextLevel.

If "Extra Feedback" is set to 0 then you don't get those messages even if you ticked the "Actions" check in the Feedback menu.

I missunderstood you here, thought you were refering to the other text that is printed when you attack someone. (Should have checked the strrefs more closely.)

It looks like these "Extra Feedback" strings are only showing up when you actually attack an enemy. (Previously, I only tested with party members and there wasn't any difference.)

By the way, check out 'Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action=1' (in [Game Options]). :D

Sometimes I wonder what they were thinking.

Wasn't that the auto-blink nonsense (basically, when you get close to enemies, they or the party start randomly teleporting around)? I had checked it fighting the goblins at the north portal in Irenicus' dungeon, and I recall them randomly blinking around as per the effect (boots of phasing or whatever; requires visible enemy to activate), but I was also checking the few other "secret" INI settings at the same time and certainly wasn't willing to go back for a second round for *that*. ;-)

I missunderstood you here, thought you were refering to the other text that is printed when you attack someone. (Should have checked the strrefs more closely.)

It looks like these "Extra Feedback" strings are only showing up when you actually attack an enemy. (Previously, I only tested with party members and there wasn't any difference.)

Is this talking about the actual "Extra Feedback" (a config option), or are you confirming that Combat Info has some effect?
Wasn't that the auto-blink nonsense (basically, when you get close to enemies, they or the party start randomly teleporting around)? I had checked it fighting the goblins at the north portal in Irenicus' dungeon, and I recall them randomly blinking around as per the effect (boots of phasing or whatever; requires visible enemy to activate), but I was also checking the few other "secret" INI settings at the same time and certainly wasn't willing to go back for a second round for *that*. ;-)

Yes, exactly. (Found the EFF code.)

However, I tried to spawn multiple enemies of the same type, but all but one are killed instantly.

Is this talking about the actual "Extra Feedback" (a config option), or are you confirming that Combat Info has some effect?

The former. "Extra Combat Info" seems to be completely unused, as you already suspected.

"Extra Combat Info" works fine with the original BG2, in the sense that it gives me all the roll information including all the applied modifiers.

Doesn't seem to do anything at all with a patched ToB. Haven't tried the intermediate versions, but it definitely worked in the first place, assuming I'm not missing anything obvious.

Archived