OpenAL DLL's

Guest Tehori

When I get to the "cmake .. -G "mingw makefiles" step, it stops me because it says I need to set the openaldir enviroment variable or get it from the openal website. I have downloaded openal and installed it, but that didnt work. What am I doing wrong?

Environment variables are settings that you need to configure using Windows (or set them manually, or from some batch script).

But the best is setting them in the OS.

The menu/click path is the following:

My Computer/Properties/Special/Environment variables

There you can set up a variable named 'openaldir' which should point to the install directory of openal.

(I have never set up openal for mingw+cmake, so this might not be a complete solution).

$OPENALDIR is an environment variable that would correspond to the ./configure --pre-

fix=$OPENALDIR used in building OpenAL.

So yes, it should point to the install dir. Cmake already tried to find it, but failed.

I need to set a value for the variable, and I don't know what that needs to be.

I'm using Vista, so it might have something to do with that, because I don't think OpenAL is installing correctly. (I'm quite happy with vista, as it has a much better media center than XPMCE 2002... oh and DX10 Crysis :3)

The Creative folder in Program Files only has the installer, no libraries.

All I need is a template, if you check your environmental variables, and tell me the value on your computer for OpenALdir, the problem will probably be solved.

02%20M2_HOME.jpg

(Ignore the circle, I got this off of a random page website)

My dad says messing with this stuff can really screw up my computer, so I'm, not going to do this by trial and error, I need to know the value used in you're machine, and based on what yours is, I should be able to adapt it to my setup.

In place of the "Variable name" I would put: OpenALdir

All I need to know is what I put in place of "Variable value"

Oh yeah, before I forget, I need to know if OpenAL is supposed to install really really fast, I didn't get and install shield window or anything. It just goes from the window showing the license to the windows saying "Installation completed". Usually installers will give me a progress bar or something like that. And the weirdest thing is that the only thing in "C:\Program Files\OpenAL" is the installer, there aren't even any hidden files! Where are the libraries kept?

I guess my biggest problem is that I'm a hardware junkie, not a programming junkie, I've been stumbling through most of the "how-to" guide.

Btw, sorry about the double post, I should have said this there.

I don't have windows, so I can't help you with the path. Even if I did, how could I know where you installed it?

openal is a bunch of libraries (.dll and .h files), so the installation should be as quick as you say.

I got past the OpenALdir by installing the sdk from openal.org

then put make OPENALDIR env variable point to the installation location

default = C:\Program Files\OpenAL 1.1 SDK

I however have a problem a little further down in the configure

where it complains about not finding strndup ?

Any one have a solution for that?

I'm using cmake version 2.6-patch 2

Regards,

Uxinn

I don't have windows, so I can't help you with the path. Even if I did, how could I know where you installed it?

openal is a bunch of libraries (.dll and .h files), so the installation should be as quick as you say.

Archived