(v7.1) Translation Updates and More

Mike1072

There are a couple old tweak pack components that are still editing descriptions in a less-than-optimal way for mod compatibility. I figured that providing newer code for them would be preferable to going around saying "don't use these".

I've made the following changes:

Two-Handed Bastard Swords and Two-Handed Katanas

The two-handed versions now have their descriptions patched to display Type: 2-handed instead of Type: 1-handed. This is not related to compatibility, just a bonus feature. :D

Universal Clubs

Descriptions for all clubs will now be patched in the Universal Clubs component and the Description Update for Universal Clubs component will be skipped for English installs.

Wear Multiple Protection Items (P&P Restrictions)

The versions of the items that have no AC bonus now have their description patched instead of overwritten. This ensures there will be no inconsistencies when you switch between the two versions, other than the expected lack of an AC bonus on one.

Edit: These changes have been included in version 8 of the BG2 Tweak Pack.

Hey, this is great! I was going to request your Two-Handed Bastard Swords and Two-Handed Katanas tweak, but now I don't need to (plus there's sweet bonus stuff).

I think cmorgan said something about releasing some mod updates soon, so hopefully he'll be able to include your stuff. Thanks a lot, Mike.

There are a couple old tweak pack components that are still editing descriptions in a less-than-optimal way for mod compatibility. I figured that providing newer code for them would be preferable to going around saying "don't use these".

I've made the following changes.

Two-Handed Bastard Swords and Two-Handed Katanas:

The two-handed versions now have their descriptions patched to display Type: 2-handed instead of Type: 1-handed. This is not related to compatibility, just a bonus feature. :blush:

Universal Clubs:

Descriptions for all clubs will now be patched in the Universal Clubs component and the Description Update for Universal Clubs component will be skipped for English installs.

Wear Multiple Protection Items (P&P Restrictions):

The versions of the items that have no AC bonus now have their description patched instead of overwritten. This ensures there will be no inconsistencies when you switch between the two versions, other than the lack of an AC bonus on one.

Here's a diff:

--- Setup-BG2_Tweaks.tp2	2007-12-16 19:12:59.496750000 -0800
+++ Setup-BG2_Tweaks_new.tp2	2009-01-23 22:27:38.328125000 -0800
@@ -4087,6 +4087,22 @@

Only to let you know, that we use your code with the BiG World Fixpack. Additional we have included a fix for "Bottomless bag of holding - lag problem and vanishing item" mentioned here.

@@ -7808,9 +7908,9 @@

PRINT @1
COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~
-  READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 0
+  READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 32767
  PATCH_IF ("%itemtype%" = 5) BEGIN
-	WRITE_SHORT 0x22 0
+	WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
  END
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Greetings Leomar

Guest Guest

Mike, are you able to attach a replacement BG2 Tweak Pack tp2 for us (one that includes your changes)? That would make things very simple for us non-modders, and would be much appreciated.

Mike, are you able to attach a replacement BG2 Tweak Pack tp2 for us (one that includes your changes)? That would make things very simple for us non-modders, and would be much appreciated.

Done; see first post. It has all the description changes noted in my first post, plus the Bottomless Bags fix from the BWP Fixpack.

@Leomar: I fixed one additional spot in the .tp2 dealing with making bags bottomless, line 2394.

Guest Guest

Done; see first post. It has all the description changes noted in my first post, plus the Bottomless Bags fix from the BWP Fixpack.

@Leomar: I fixed one additional spot in the .tp2 dealing with making bags bottomless, line 2394.

Yay! Many thanks.

@ Mike1072

The bottomless bag fix looked like this:

PRINT @1
 READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 32767
WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Now in your TP2 it looks like this:

PRINT @1
 READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 0
WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Is this not needed:

Greetings Leomar

Is this not needed:

Greetings Leomar

No, it's not needed. When you use "READ_X offset variable ELSE value", it will try to read the information from the offset and assign it to the variable. If the offset is out-of-bounds (file's too small), instead of failing, the specified value will be assigned to the variable in place of the information from the file. Since the PATCH_IF statement only cares whether the variable has the value 5 or not, it makes no difference if we assign 0 or 32767 to the variable when we don't intend to patch the file.

Is this not needed:

Greetings Leomar

No, it's not needed. When you use "READ_X offset variable ELSE value", it will try to read the information from the offset and assign it to the variable. If the offset is out-of-bounds (file's too small), instead of failing, the specified value will be assigned to the variable in place of the information from the file. Since the PATCH_IF statement only cares whether the variable has the value 5 or not, it makes no difference if we assign 0 or 32767 to the variable when we don't intend to patch the file.

Thanks for the answer, Mike1072. :)

Greetings Leomar

We have updated the German translation of BG2 Tweak Pack and now, translated the description_updates.tra, too. With the Chinese there are two LANGUAGE versions who used this description_updates.tra. We took Mike 1072's fixed Setup-BG2_Tweaks.tp2 and changed the following in there:

Line 800:

AUTO_TRA ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/%s~

LANGUAGE
 ~English~
 ~english~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/english/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Czech (Translation by Razfallow and Vlasák)~
 ~czech~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/czech/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Francais (Translation by Anomaly, Elgaern the Dragon Slayer, Isaya and elminster)~
 ~french~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/french/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Deutsch (Uebersetzung von Leonardo Watson, Caswallon und Jester)~
 ~german~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/german/description_updates.tra~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/german/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Italiano (translation by Andrea Columbo; original EoU by Antonio Favata)~
 ~italian~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/italian/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Korean (Translation by web2air)~
 ~korean~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/korean/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Polski (Translation by yarpen, Artanis, dragionian, Evendur, Grjgori, and Neminus)~
 ~polish~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/polish/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Russian (Translation by Creepin, Domi, Kulyok, Serdrick, and aerie.ru)~
 ~russian~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/russian/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Espanol (traducido por Clan DLAN)~
 ~spanish~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/spanish/setup.tra~
LANGUAGE
 ~Chinese (translated by Miranda)~
 ~chinese~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/chinese/description_updates.tra~
 ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/chinese/setup.tra~

Line 4501:

REQUIRE_PREDICATE (("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "english" = 0) OR ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "chinese" = 0) OR ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "german" = 0)) @7

Line 6064:

// description updates
ACTION_IF (("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "chinese" = 0) or
	   ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "german" = 0)) THEN BEGIN // Chinese and German only (English is patched above)

Line 6924:

REQUIRE_PREDICATE (("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "english" = 0) OR ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "chinese" = 0) OR ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "german" = 0)) @7

You get the updated files here:

Removed, see for the current update below.

Was that all what we must do for the German language version or is there anything else?

Mike1072, do we must do something of your "Type: 2-handed" changes?

Greetings Leomar

Heh, if you let me know what you were planning, I probably could have saved you some time. The description_updates.tra contains all of the old-style description updates that overwrite previous descriptions without taking into account whether they might have been previously changed, which is what my code is trying to change. If you want to patch things dynamically, I can provide help with the code (especially the regular expressions).

As an example of patching descriptions dynamically, in the Wear Multiple Protection Items P&P Style component, to patch the versions of items that stack with armour but have no AC bonus, the code looks for a line starting with "Armor Class:" or "Armour Class:" and deletes that line, using this code:

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~[%lnl%%mnl%%wnl%] *Armou?r Class.*:.*~ ~~

This is instead of writing new descriptions for every item of Protection with the line removed.

I'm not totally sure about how people using different languages play and install mods and might need more information before knowing how best to patch descriptions for them. If all of your text in-game is in German, in this component you'd just need to remove the German version of Armor Class. If instead you commonly have some text in German but other text in English, you'd want code to remove both lines.

Line 800

AUTO_TRA ~BG2_Tweaks/languages/%s~

LANGUAGE
[...]

For the non-English languages, the reason for specifying the English setup.tra like this

~BG2_Tweaks/languages/english/setup.tra~

~BG2_Tweaks/languages/german/setup.tra~

is probably so that if the mod gets updated with a new string somewhere and the string gets added to the English .tra but not the other .tra (in this case German), WeiDU won't die, it will just take the English string when no German one exists.

Line 4501:

I think I removed the English line from here so that the component ("Description Updates for Universal Clubs") would be skipped for English installs, since they get their descriptions changed in the main Universal Clubs component now. If you end up using patching code instead of this component to update descriptions, you'll want to disable it for your language as well.

Line 6064:

// description updates
ACTION_IF (("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "chinese" = 0) or
	   ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "german" = 0)) THEN BEGIN // Chinese and German only (English is patched above)

Same notes as above. Be careful with your syntax, WeiDU commands are case sensitive - using "or" here will throw an error, you'll want either "OR" or "||".

Line 6924:

This one is okay. Just in case anyone is wondering why I didn't bother writing patching code for this component ("Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent"), it's because it can only be installed when the Fixpack isn't installed.

Archived