Starting to think about SR in SCSII

DavidW

But quoting the Glitterdust's description found in the BG2 manual:

"Note that this reveals invisible creatures."

For this reason, I'd welcome thea addition of Glitterdust to DS (if space can be found of course), whether I have SR installed or not.

Revealing invisible/hidden characters isn't a problem, preventing characters from becoming invisible/hiding is.

As David already noted, working around this issue would require a significant amount of effort as well as the inclusion of a brand new Detectable Stat, just for that sole purpose, which is not particularly desirable.

It seems I had understimated the issue, though I still think it's not likely to happen too often as the spell as a small AoE, easy save, short duration, and the target behave suboptimally only if he has tons of invisibility potions/spells and insists in using it each time instead of doing something else.

Isn't there a way for me to manually (directly with the .spl headers) add a "flag" on affected targets to allow the AI to detect GD? For example a "modify proficiency" or something that inhibits the "go invisible" script. :p

It seems I had understimated the issue, though I still think it's not likely to happen too often as the spell as a small AoE, easy save, short duration, and the target behave suboptimally only if he has tons of invisibility potions/spells and insists in using it each time instead of doing something else.

I think there's something a bit odd about this, though... if the effect really isn't going to do much (because it lasts too little time to matter, or is easily saved against, or because the target isn't going to go invisible in the first place), why not drop it? Presumably it's only worth including if it actually does something noticeable.

Isn't there a way for me to manually (directly with the .spl headers) add a "flag" on affected targets to allow the AI to detect GD? For example a "modify proficiency" or something that inhibits the "go invisible" script. :p

There aren't any modify proficiency slots free, though (DS uses all of them). Some kind of hack might be possible, but that still leaves the problem of applying it to every mod's (and the vanilla game)'s AI.

Isn't there a way for me to manually (directly with the .spl headers) add a "flag" on affected targets to allow the AI to detect GD? For example a "modify proficiency" or something that inhibits the "go invisible" script.
It's only half a job to make the effect detectable. You would also have to adjust AI, so it will recognize that the said effect is being active.

While to a certain extent it can be attended via proper macro, I'm not certain it's really possible (or worth the hassle) to ensure it will patch everything it needs to and only what it needs to. Likely will work fine for global AI (SCS's general AI), but for specific encounters - maybe yes, maybe no.

There aren't any modify proficiency slots free, though (DS uses all of them).
309 - Set local variable. AI will be able to detect it on self only, but in this particular case it should be enough.
309 - Set local variable. AI will be able to detect it on self only, but in this particular case it should be enough.

That wouldn't work properly since opcode #309 ignores duration i.e. it always sets the variable permanently regardless of the specified timing mode and duration.

In this case, the variable would need to be set until the effect expires and not linger on afterward.

Ok, I know nothing about scripts etc but hey no one seems to have suggested this. Why does the actual Glitterdust spell itself need to be detectable?

Is there not some way that the NPC can "check" to see if their invisibility spell/potion worked?

Take potion/spell

invisible? -> yes = all good

no = disable invisibility/hiding behaviour for 2 or 3 rounds, they "wait" a while before trying again

Archived