New BAMs for spells

yarpen

Heh, I'm using only BAM Workshop I and Paint. Your spellbook icons are great, but this in-game is only 'okay'. For good effects I'm mainly copying parts of vanilla icons. Now I don't have much time for that, damn. As today I'm looking at my Sunschorch, it's crap. Have to fix it again.

Isn't Faerie Fire 1-st level druid spell?

Heh, I'm using only BAM Workshop I and Paint. Your spellbook icons are great, but this in-game is only 'okay'. For good effects I'm mainly copying parts of vanilla icons. Now I don't have much time for that, damn. As today I'm looking at my Sunschorch, it's crap. Have to fix it again.

Isn't Faerie Fire 1-st level druid spell?

Sure, I copy and paste and cut and resize a lot; it's the only way to work in fact, i cannot imagine doing something, unless it's a real simple graphic, from scratch.

Not to say that it's hard, but that it will most likely turn out nothing like the style of bg2 we all love, and of course that is a must - hence why must just edit, as you say, really. For example, that first pic, the angel is done by scratch but the flames are some awkward cuts of summon fire elemental, and the second and third pics: the left hand side is a recolored (very annoying) armor of faith, and its right side is the top left 'picture' of flames in that greater elemental summoning spell, i think.

Also, I realise about the spell levels, I was just testing and replaced random spells to see it; it's all cosmetic on my end thus far anyways. I have the bams for the the 2nd version of faerie fire, but no scroll - but none is required right, since it's for druids, so i won't bother with it either.

Ok, will try out some other stuff, white this time!

Are you interested in me keeping you guys posted with these things or should i stop, also any idea about the kind of icon you and others might be imagining Demi would maybe help, otherwise I might just keep putting up things that may not interest anyone.

Edit: Another new idea for faerie fire :worship:

faerie_fire_preview.jpg

Guys, i would really appreciate any feedback, even if it is just to let me know you're not interested, i'm fine with that.

scorpio,

personally I am interested and I am thankful for you keeping me updated!

I'd like to see how you learn and improve and I hope I can do this through this topic.

Your last Faery Fire bams are really nice, I think!

Keep it up! :worship:

faerie_fire_preview.jpg

Guys, i would really appreciate any feedback, even if it is just to let me know you're not interested, i'm fine with that.

I really don't know how a faerie fire should look like, but your idea is fine imo. The most difficult thing to accomplish though is making new bams seemingly indistinguishable from vanilla's one in terms of "size" and colors.

faerie_fire_preview.jpg

I really don't know how a faerie fire should look like, but your idea is fine imo. The most difficult thing to accomplish though is making new bams seemingly indistinguishable from vanilla's one in terms of "size" and colors.

Well, if this latest design is fine, I can go ahead and refine it in regards to colours and size, though its size is already roughly fine i think.

It's the actual basic concept and design that i meant about when asking for whether it's fine or not, and that is what takes the longest time simply because you have to think about it too first, and then it's all fiddly working with 32 x 32 pixels to get across the idea in your head. Anyways, fine tuning the white to be more in line with bg2 spells is just a matter of patience.

The idea behind this latest one was some type of fairy dust sprinkling in the air and obviously the fire underneath...I think it's my best one so far at any rate.

The trick is to keep it simple, the original angel inside the fire was an elaborate design concept as you can see, but it does not turn out great in such few pixels...

Shape of BAM is nice but colors here are bad. This white is too clean and simple. Just look at in-game BAMs - white colour of spells come from many gray and pearl pixels. You should try to copy "texture" from existing spell into it. Also, stone looks like nearly black. But shape is very nice!

Well, if this latest design is fine, I can go ahead and refine it in regards to colours and size, though its size is already roughly fine i think.

It's the actual basic concept and design that i meant about when asking for whether it's fine or not, ...

Shape of BAM is nice but colors here are bad. This white is too clean and simple. Just look at in-game BAMs - white colour of spells come from many gray and pearl pixels. You should try to copy "texture" from existing spell into it. Also, stone looks like nearly black. But shape is very nice!
For the design as I said I think it's fine, much better than IWD's one imo. For the implementation I'll leave you and Yarpen to handle it. :worship:
I've recoloured the entire thing, and so here's a little comparison:

faerie_fire_compare.jpg

I won't recolor scroll BAM for this since it's a confirmed druid spell (please don't change your mind! :worship: )

Also, the white version for spell book is fine, right? As spell book icons are completely white, no shading that i can tell really, even zoomed in, and at the size they're viewed at, it's impossible to tell.

I think that looks great.

I'd want to do a side-by-side comparison for the spellbook icon, but I'd guess that it might need similar adjusting so that it doesn't look so solid or unblended in comparison to the normal ones (this was the only thing I thought that made your first "faerie in a fire" graphic stand apart from the rest).

It's wonderful to see someone new making quality graphics for IE games.

I've recoloured the entire thing, and so here's a little comparison:

faerie_fire_compare.jpg

I won't recolor scroll BAM for this since it's a confirmed druid spell (please don't change your mind! :worship: )

Also, the white version for spell book is fine, right? As spell book icons are completely white, no shading that i can tell really, even zoomed in, and at the size they're viewed at, it's impossible to tell.

I think that looks great.

I'd want to do a side-by-side comparison for the spellbook icon, but I'd guess that it might need similar adjusting so that it doesn't look so solid or unblended in comparison to the normal ones (this was the only thing I thought that made your first "faerie in a fire" graphic stand apart from the rest).

It's wonderful to see someone new making quality graphics for IE games.

Hah, you managed to quote me before i edited that out...i wrote it without actually comparing, and yes there's a little to be done so i took out that comment of mine. Hopefully not as hard to do the spellbook version though; the hardest is this in-game version to get textures correct. Glad you like it and thanks to everyone with their positive comments.

Edit: Ok, phew...here you go, my final results:

Note, those screens are still smaller than actual size when clicked, to see the slightly zoomed in version, please click on these and then click the download link on the middle-top of the page that opens in order to really see how well or otherwise faerie fire now looks!

I've replaced magic stone this time rather than chaotic commands, just so its surrounded my some level 1 priest spells, albeit cleric rather than druid, but close enough, so you get a feel for how it may be in the game.

Enjoy....hopefully :p

Baldr015.jpg

Baldr016.jpg

Baldr017.jpg

Baldr018.jpg

Guest Dirty Uncle Bertie

That's really nice, and blends in well with the other spells. One thing I don't like about Rogue Rebalancing (an otherwise great mod) is that its new icons look nothing like the ones already in-game. They are top notch, but too nice and clean.

Regarding the fairy dust part of the icon, and this is going to sound really silly, but I find it a little too symmetrical, with regard to the far left and far right "sparkles". If its easy to do, would you consider moving the far left one up a bit and maybe a little to the right? Moving it just a tad would make the sparkles look more random, which I think is how they should be.

Tell you what, though, if that's the only thing I can see "wrong" with it, it must be pretty bloody good!

Really well done, scorpio!

It'd be nice to have your new .bams in the next IR hotfix! :worship:

Thank you.

It's up to Demi whether he even wants these, so i'll wait for that. I've made the change Dirty Uncle Bertie asked for. It's really not a big deal either way; i.e. if you liked it as it was before you'll barely notice a difference, and if you prefer this...well obviously fine too (it's all of a 2 pixel shift along both axes, almost impossible to tell). So the previous pics are still practically correct and thus i won't post over such a tiny change...

But other than that Faerie_fireB and Faerie_fireC await.

Archived