Unseeing Eye Won't Show up

My last few run-throughs, the Unseeing Eye consistently doesn't show up after my PC assembles the rod. I've been CLUA-ing it in and the game proceeds OK. I figured some mod or combination of mods was the problem, since I had so many. So I finally broke down and reverted to my clean install. (I have SOA and TOB.)

With no mods except DungeonBeGone, the UE shows up like it should. I added the Fixpack V6, started a new game: no UE. Uninstalled Fixpack, loaded the quicksave right before assembling the rod and the UE showed up.

So this seems strange, since I've run both DBG and Fixpack forever without seeing this problem until recently. I can't remember when I changed to V6 though. Has anyone else seen this problem or have any suggestions? I can easily fix this one quest with the console but it bugs me that this problem shows up so consistently.

My last few run-throughs, the Unseeing Eye consistently doesn't show up after my PC assembles the rod. I've been CLUA-ing it in and the game proceeds OK. I figured some mod or combination of mods was the problem, since I had so many. So I finally broke down and reverted to my clean install. (I have SOA and TOB.)

With no mods except DungeonBeGone, the UE shows up like it should. I added the Fixpack V6, started a new game: no UE. Uninstalled Fixpack, loaded the quicksave right before assembling the rod and the UE showed up.

So this seems strange, since I've run both DBG and Fixpack forever without seeing this problem until recently. I can't remember when I changed to V6 though. Has anyone else seen this problem or have any suggestions? I can easily fix this one quest with the console but it bugs me that this problem shows up so consistently.

WeiDu.log would always speed up the process :worship:

WeiDu.log would always speed up the process :worship:

Probably, except I deleted it as part of my clean install. :p The only mods I have loaded now are Fixpack and DBG. I find it hard to believe either of them are at fault (since I've had them both for ages with no problem) but I'm not sure where else to look.

After posting this, I realized there was a V7 out, so I downloaded it. But I started a new game and still no Unseeing Eye. If no one else is seeing this problem, I guess I'll assume it's something peculiar to my setup.

When you say "clean install" do you mean making an actually clean install, deleting the override folder and everything?

One conceivable cause of this would be that some altered copy of ar0205.bcs is lying in your override folder when fixpack tries to change it. An altered copy might not have the contents fixpack expects, which might explain why fixpack appears to break the appearance of the Unseeing Eye.

If you are familiar with e.g. Near Infinity, you could post the textual contents of ar0205.bcs from after you have installed fixpack. At the very least, it would exclude the possibility the script is somehow broken.

When you say "clean install" do you mean making an actually clean install, deleting the override folder and everything?

One conceivable cause of this would be that some altered copy of ar0205.bcs is lying in your override folder when fixpack tries to change it. An altered copy might not have the contents fixpack expects, which might explain why fixpack appears to break the appearance of the Unseeing Eye.

If you are familiar with e.g. Near Infinity, you could post the textual contents of ar0205.bcs from after you have installed fixpack. At the very least, it would exclude the possibility the script is somehow broken.

Yes, I deleted the override folder and everything. That's what seems so strange. I've had to revert to my clean install before and that has always fixed any problems, so I was amazed when it didn't work on this one. And if I run the clean install now, without Fixpack, the Unseeing Eye shows up like it's supposed to. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling from my original discs, which I've been trying to avoid! Being lazy and all.

I'm not familiar with Near Infinity. For now, I've reinstalled my mods and will just CLUA in the UE when necessary. If that's the only problem I have, I can live with it. (Unfortunately my experience is that when one weird thing happens, others follow.) :worship:

I'm not familiar with Near Infinity. For now, I've reinstalled my mods and will just CLUA in the UE when necessary. If that's the only problem I have, I can live with it. (Unfortunately my experience is that when one weird thing happens, others follow.) :worship:

You could email the file to me and I could have a look at it. The file you would want is ar0205.bcs and would be found in your override folder. You could send it to harmonious_dissonance@hotmail.com

Otherwise, using NI is rather easy. It does require Java, though. It can be downloaded from here and "setting it up" is merely a matter of placing the .jar file in your BG2 folder and opening it. In the NI window, open the BCS folder on the left, find the file ar0205.bcs and click on it. Simply copy and paste the text.

You could email the file to me and I could have a look at it. The file you would want is ar0205.bcs and would be found in your override folder. You could send it to harmonious_dissonance@hotmail.com

Otherwise, using NI is rather easy. It does require Java, though. It can be downloaded from here and "setting it up" is merely a matter of placing the .jar file in your BG2 folder and opening it. In the NI window, open the BCS folder on the left, find the file ar0205.bcs and click on it. Simply copy and paste the text.

Wow, cool. I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this. Here it is:

IF

PartyHasItem("MISC5A") // Rift Device Part

PartyHasItem("MISC5B") // Rift Device Part

!Dead("UnseeingEye")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TakePartyItem("MISC5A") // Rift Device Part

TakePartyItem("MISC5B") // Rift Device Part

GiveItemCreate("MISC5C",Player1,1,0,0) // Rift Device

AddexperienceParty(26250)

DisplayStringHead(Player1,31215) // The two parts meld into one, and the assembled rod seethes with power, feeding your crueler emotions. Greed, hate, lust, and violence all surge within you and you now know why this device has been hidden away. The rod can be used like a wand and has but one charge. You should equip it in your quick slot immediately.

SetGlobalTimer("CDUnseeingEyeAppears","AR0205",7)

END

IF

PartyHasItem("MISC5A") // Rift Device Part

PartyHasItem("MISC5B") // Rift Device Part

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TakePartyItem("MISC5A") // Rift Device Part

TakePartyItem("MISC5B") // Rift Device Part

GiveItemCreate("MISC5C",Player1,0,0,0) // Rift Device

DisplayStringHead(Player1,31215) // The two parts meld into one, and the assembled rod seethes with power, feeding your crueler emotions. Greed, hate, lust, and violence all surge within you and you now know why this device has been hidden away. The rod can be used like a wand and has but one charge. You should equip it in your quick slot immediately.

END

IF

GlobalTimerExpired("CDUnseeingEyeAppears","AR0205")

PartyHasItem("MISC5C") // Rift Device

Global("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL",0)

!Dead("UnseeingEye")

Global("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL",1)

SetGlobal("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL",1)

END

IF

GlobalTimerExpired("CDUnseeingEyeAppears","AR0205")

PartyHasItem("MISC5C") // Rift Device

Global("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL",0)

!Dead("UnseeingEye")

Global("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL",1)

SetGlobal("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL",1)

CreateCreature("BHEYE",[2528.1897],12) // Unseeing Eye

END

By the looks of it, the problem appears to be caused by Fixpack having been installed twice.

When you made your clean backups, did you do it before or after installing Fixpack?

As I recall, icelus' post at PPG on the subject says to install Baldurdash/Fixpack before making your clean backup. But doing that would mean you could not upgrade to a more recent version without problems like this occurring.

You would unfortunately need to reinstall and make a new backup, before installing any third-party mods, to resolve this properly (assuming your backup is from after you installed Fixpack).

By the looks of it, the problem appears to be caused by Fixpack having been installed twice.

When you made your clean backups, did you do it before or after installing Fixpack?

As I recall, icelus' post at PPG on the subject says to install Baldurdash/Fixpack before making your clean backup. But doing that would mean you could not upgrade to a more recent version without problems like this occurring.

You would unfortunately need to reinstall and make a new backup, before installing any third-party mods, to resolve this properly (assuming your backup is from after you installed Fixpack).

That must be it! Reinstalling will be a drag but I don't mind doing it if I know it's really going to help. Thanks, folks, for all your assistance.

As this has happened (from one cause or another) at least half a dozen times over the past few years, I'd like to bodge in a file check of some kind (eg cdspja00.eff) to block multiple installs.

And while I can't believe it's still necessary, a file check for Baldurdash is in order as well. I'd suggested either Azuredge or Protection from Fire last time this came up (both files are fixed in a garbled way that we don't replicate here), but alternatives would be appreciated, especially for the various WeiDU versions.

Archived