An unusual request: how to change Sarevok to F/M in final battle?

kthxbye

Hi!

Today I'm here with an unusual request. Since I want to play Sarevok as a fighter/mage multiclass (making him half-elf) in my trilogy run when (if) I will reach ToB, I would love to change the final battle Sarevok to F/M too for continuity sake.

Since I use SCSI, I thought that this was the best place to ask. I think that I can change Sarevok's class and race using Near Infinity (possibly exporting the existing Sarevok.CRE file and putting the modified one in the Override folder, so that I will be able to undo the changes for future games), but I have no clue on which scripts I should assign him to make him use both his fighter and his mage skills. I think that there are some F/M foes that uses SCSI scripts?

Any suggestion on how to do that?

Thanks in advance, both for the mod and for the possible replies. :)

Hi!

Today I'm here with an unusual request. Since I want to play Sarevok as a fighter/mage multiclass (making him half-elf) in my trilogy run when (if) I will reach ToB, I would love to change the final battle Sarevok to F/M too for continuity sake.

Since I use SCSI, I thought that this was the best place to ask. I think that I can change Sarevok's class and race using Near Infinity (possibly exporting the existing Sarevok.CRE file and putting the modified one in the Override folder, so that I will be able to undo the changes for future games), but I have no clue on which scripts I should assign him to make him use both his fighter and his mage skills. I think that there are some F/M foes that uses SCSI scripts?

Any suggestion on how to do that?

Thanks in advance, both for the mod and for the possible replies. :)

Well, this is way not supported, but you could try this:

(i) BEFORE INSTALLING SCS, make whatever modifications you need to Sarevok's file (which is _SAREVO.CRE - I'm assuming TUTU, you can probably do the translations to BGT), and then change his second script, currently _TASIGHT, to _MAGE5. Make sure that his class is Fighter-Mage.

(ii) If you're planning on using the "Improved Final Battle" component of SCS, edit "scs/endbattle/_sarevok.baf" (with notepad or similar) and delete the two blocks which contain "Attack" and "AttackReevaluate" commands.

(iii) if you're not planning on using "Improved Final Battle", edit the vanilla-game file "_sarevok.bcs" (in Near Infinity or the like) and delete all the blocks with "Attack" or "AttackReevaluate" commands.

(iv) install SCS, definitely including the "smarter mages" component.

EDIT: It just occurs to me that if you try this technique, just give Sarevok whatever stats, levels and equipment you want. Don't bother giving him any spells - SCS will choose them for you.

Wow that's really a bit more work than I expected. I've just reinstalled the whole thing, so I'll try it in my next install for sure. :p

For my current run I will try (probably unsuccessfully) to change him using override files, so that I will be able to revert back to current install Sarevok by deleting the ovr files I added.

If it's of some interest to you, just let me know and I will report both for my current try with overrides, and for my next install. :p

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I want to play Sarevok as a fighter/mage multiclass (making him half-elf) in my trilogy run

For the love of... why...

If you really want continuity you should also change the various encounters with him in bg1 and bg2 that clearly show he isn't a spellcaster, including the cutscene with Gorian, shouldn't you? It's just too much break from continuity/'real' Sarevok to do this. Just make your main pc a ftr/mage instead if you want a ftr/mage that badly in the party...?

I want to play Sarevok as a fighter/mage multiclass (making him half-elf) in my trilogy run

For the love of... why...

If you really want continuity you should also change the various encounters with him in bg1 and bg2 that clearly show he isn't a spellcaster, including the cutscene with Gorian, shouldn't you? It's just too much break from continuity/'real' Sarevok to do this. Just make your main pc a ftr/mage instead if you want a ftr/mage that badly in the party...?

Because I'd dual him anyway as soon as I get him, but I really dislike dual-classing (personal taste) as it makes little sense to me. I've also already beaten the vanilla game more than once, so changing something like that in order to enjoy it more seems right to me - again, personal taste. (That should also answer to Jarno's post. :p)

I'm planning on changing the final encounter Sarevok only, as the final encounter is the only time the change would actually affect game play. Going through that much work only to make him cast a single spell against Gorion makes little sense, as it would change only roleplaying-wise and not gameplay-wise - and for a RP only change, imagination fits wonderfully.

EDIT: as some encounters in BG1 with him shows that he's not a spellcaster, when I encountered him in ToB the first time (in the pocket plane) I didn't remember BG1 well, and from the conversation and his casting a spell to revive himself (clearly a high level spell), I was expecting a pure or multiclass caster anyway.

Archived