BG pathfinding

Guest thelee

Guest thelee

So I've been browsing through all the mods that G3 has to offer (and there's a lot), but there's one that I haven't really found.

I may be in a minority when I state that I prefer the "pure" experience of BG to BG2/ToB (that is not to say I don't like new things, as I really love IWD2). Namely, I just personally feel that obvious improvements aside, I really disliked the misbalancing of alot of the new spells, items, high-level abilities, kits, etc. However, the one thing that keeps me from returning to BG as much as I do BG2 is the fact that BG2 *did* offer a substantial improvement in pathfinding. Not just the increase in the upper limit for nodes (30-ish k to 400k), but the much much much more useful fact that characters push stationary other characters around as necessary to get to their destination. I can't count how many times I nearly slammed my head into a wall in frustration when something happens like Imoen can't get past Khalid to scout ahead for traps and enemies simply because Khalid keeps on being too many pixels close to the wall to let her pass.

That being said, is it really the case that I have to go with a Tutu setup if all I really care about is the pathfinding upgrade? There's no pathfinding improvement mod? Doing a full on total conversion seems a bit like overkill with a potential for significantly decreased stability and performance.

Pathfinding is hardcoded. There's no way to alter the behavior.

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate II offer support for the PC "bump" (and ToB added NPC bump to allow big bad guys to shove past each other and past less desirable PC targets). These features cannot be added by mortals to earlier games.

I agree with you that "pure" is the only way to play BG/TotSC. I think you're making too big a deal of something that really only has an impact in those, what, four to six tiny-corridor dungeons... everything else is big rectangular rooms or giant outdoor areas. Yeah, you may have to do a bit of micro-movement and go a little slower than preferred (IIRC, most corridors should be wide enough that you could move Khalid right next to the wall and have Imoen slip past without having to dance the whole party around to make room for her), but it's worth it IMO to get the real experience playing the original.

You can always adjust party formation or party order if you really get frustrated (Imoen can't get stuck behind Khalid if she's in front!). But you will need Tutu or BGT or whatever if you want any actual improvement in pathfinding.

Archived