which application runs mod setup files? (and where do I find it?)

Lemernis

At some point I opened a setup file using Notepad (can't remember why). Now Notepad has become the default application for the mod setup files. I need to get it returned back to the DOS looking app. So when I rightclick and choose Browse to look for the application, where do I find it? What's the location of the app that I need to run a mod setup file?

At some point I opened a setup file using Notepad (can't remember why). Now Notepad has become the default application for the mod setup files. I need to get it returned back to the DOS looking app. So when I rightclick and choose Browse to look for the application, where do I find it? What's the location of the app that I need to run a mod setup file?

Setup-modname.tp2 files contain WeiDU installation instructions. These are plain text files that can be opened with any text editor, even Notepad. I'd recommend TextPad, Notepad++, or perhaps ConTEXT - just Google and download.

Setup-modname.exe executable files are copies of the WeiDU application that uses a DOS-like interface to install mods and respond to command-line queries.

Which application runs mod setup files?
The simple answer is, the setup-modname.exe.

And, no. You shouldn't even be able to open it with the Notepad, unlike the setup-modname.tp2. If you wish to see the file extension, go to the Computer -> Organize -> Folder and Search Options -> Enable the option to see and search the hidden folders, done.

Thanks, but where is this app located on the computer?

C:\Program Files\?...

It comes bundled with any mod that you download, and it follows the naming convention specified by Jarno. You can find it in whatever directory you extracted your mod to, which in most cases should be C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA

WeiDU isn't "installed" in the traditional sense, and does not have a directory of its own. You'll get a copy of it for each and every mod you have, and it will either be in the same directory as the setup file (.tp2), or it will be one directory higher than that.

On the off chance that it hasn't shipped with a copy of WeiDU, then you can either copy the SETUP-blahblahblah.exe file from another mod and rename it to match the new one, or you can download WeiDU and rename WeiDU.exe in the same fashion.

Actually, I have a related question that's bugging me somewhat for a while. I'm not a modder, so please bear with me.

Why is it that every WeiDU mod comes with the WeiDU executable itself in a masqueraded form? I'm wondering about the general concept here. Why is it done this way? I'm sure there are good reasons for this, but personally I find it a bit weird. I find it more natural to have a separate WeiDU executable download, which is then used to "process" all other downloaded mods. Then a fix/improvement in WeiDU would result in a WeiDU upgrade without requiring all the mods to make new releases with the new version bundled (of course, some mods might want to release their own new versions/updates to make use of the new WeiDU features/fixes). There wouldn't be all those confusing "setup-*.exe trying to update itself" bug reports, nor those "anti-virus false positive" reports, addressed to the various mod authors themselves (rather than WeiDU itself). Without a bundled WeiDU, one can simply keep their copy of WeiDU up to date and have it applied to all mods already downloaded some time ago.

And on Linux I just use WeInstall anyway and there's no setup-*.exe to mess with...

Can someone enlighten me?

Well, the setup-*modname*.tp2 directs only the said setup-*modname*.exe, of course if you can program the starting program to execute every setup-*.tp2, you can suggest how to do it in here. Note that they have to be started in the correct order or create a list of which to start, and that it won't re-start already installed mods .tp2 if it's not wanted... it's complicated. :p

I think it's largely pragmatic. An end user can download a mod and then run it by clicking on an intuitively named executable, without having to concern themselves about getting WEIDU or selecting the right options to install one mod rather than another. And since the executable is pretty small, it doesn't make much difference in practice. Your solution is definitely more elegant but I suspect we'd get more rather than fewer confused users if we went over to it.

Okay, I used OpenExpert to run the .tp2 file via WeiDu. But I'm getting the following when I try to install the most recent update of a mod:

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\WeiDU-Windows-210\WeiDU\WeiDU.exe] WeiDU

version 21000

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA/CHITIN.KEY] 182 BIFFs, 41793 resources

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA/dialog.tlk] 74419 string entries

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\WeiDU-Windows-210\WeiDU\WeiDU.exe] Using

scripting style "BG2"

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\setup-#!yoshi.tp2] parsed

Install Component [Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? I

Installing [Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold]

[g_macros.tpa] parsed

[tb#macros.tpa] parsed

Appending to files ...

Copying and patching 1 file ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [bgmain.exe] not found in KEY file:

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA/chitin.key]

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 0 files for [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\setup-#!yos

hi.tp2] component 0.

Uninstalled 0 files for [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\setup-#!yos

hi.tp2] component 0.

ERROR: Failure("resource [bgmain.exe] not found for 'COPY'")

Install Component [Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?

Other folks apparently aren't having installation problems with this mod, so what's wrong at my end? Help will be greatly appreciated!

(I did post this for Icen in the Keeping Yoshimo forum workroom but he's only looking in on the forum ever so often these days.)

Here's the WeiDu log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-#!YOSHI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold: 0.672

~SETUP-#!YOSHI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Keep Yoshimo After Spellhold: 0.672

Archived