d.files in override folder

Leomar

We follow your advice to install SCS after the BG1 mods and before the BG2 mods. But in the past we have some problems with some mods and must install them before SCS.

White Agnus has found out, why these mods can't install after SCS.

SCS copies from scs/misc/inns.tph the scs/misc/depart.d as differnt .d files (eg. dw#ajant.d) to the override folder and compile them there.

The best is instead of using the override folder, to use a scs folder.

This whole block (and the all others in the scs/misc/inns.tph)

COPY ~scs/misc/depart.d~ ~override/dw#ajant.d~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwscriptname~ ~_ajantp~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwstatenumber~ ~0~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwresponse~ ~810~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwbereloc~ ~824,961~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwfailoc~ ~766,966~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwnashloc~ ~602,463~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwelfloc~ ~537,704~
COMPILE	 ~override/dw#ajant.d~

should changed from override to SCS:

COPY ~scs/misc/depart.d~ ~scs/dw#ajant.d~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwscriptname~ ~_ajantp~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwstatenumber~ ~0~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwresponse~ ~810~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwbereloc~ ~824,961~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwfailoc~ ~766,966~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwnashloc~ ~602,463~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~dmwwelfloc~ ~537,704~
COMPILE	 ~scs/dw#ajant.d~

Then the problem is solved, because the .d files don't harm something in the SCS folder, what they do in the override folder.

With this or a different solution, we can install any BG2 mod after SCS then without any problems anymore.

Greeting Leomar

Okay, I agree it would be a bit tidier to keep my working files out of the override directory, but I'm totally at a loss to see why it's actually causing problems, unless there's something horribly wrong with whatever mod is breaking (say, it accidentally tries to compile the whole override directory). Can you give more details, and/or a link?

Okay, I agree it would be a bit tidier to keep my working files out of the override directory, but I'm totally at a loss to see why it's actually causing problems, unless there's something horribly wrong with whatever mod is breaking (say, it accidentally tries to compile the whole override directory). Can you give more details, and/or a link?

Here is White Agnus' explanation:

Some mods like Les Chroniques des Severian, Adventures in Papperland, etc., uses the following tp2 lines:

COMPILE ~modname/D~ ~override~

With these lines the dialog folder and the override folder will be compiled (the compiling of the override folder is in this case not necessary, but it seems to be better, that there will be no .d Files in there).

We have seen in the other mods, that ~override~ is not needed and should be only:

COMPILE ~modname/D~

Additional we get in contact with these modauthors to explain them the situation too, so we get no more problems with the override folder in the future. :blush:

Greetings Leomar

I think this is more of a placing problem than anything else... because there are situations that do prevent certain actions like overwriting... as the .d files are not the finnished game files, they are not needed in the override folder.

Now how would you feel DavidW if we say that: Your script is 'acting stupid' and disregarding even the simpliest most logic like attacking over the fog of war... because the SCS can't override the *.bcs, AKA it's not your fault?

OK, so this is just a straight bug in these other mods. The authors are thinking that the syntax for COMPILE is the same as for COPY. But actually,

COMPILE ~modname/D~ ~override~

is just the same as

COMPILE ~modname/d~

COMPILE ~override~

In other words, their mod includes an instruction to compile every BAF and D file in the override, which is crazy.

I repeat that it would probably be tidier if SCS didn't use the override as a workspace from time to time. But this isn't a "compatibility issue", it's just a mistake in someone else's coding.

I think this is more of a placing problem than anything else... because there are situations that do prevent certain actions like overwriting...

I don't understand: can you clarify?

as the .d files are not the finnished game files, they are not needed in the override folder.

Granted, as I say; but it's intrinsically harmless. It's only causing problems because someone else doesn't understand the WEIDU syntax properly and so has a mistake in their TP2.

Now how would you feel DavidW if we say that: Your script is 'acting stupid' and disregarding even the simpliest most logic like attacking over the fog of war... because the SCS can't override the *.bcs, AKA it's not your fault?

I don't understand the question. And if your mod is crashing because you're trying to compile the override directory, it is your fault :blush:

Only to let you know, that we have informed the modauthors about their COMPILE command mistake. Until they fixed their mods and updated them, we'll fix this issue with the BiG World Fixpack.

Greetings Leomar

Archived