Do you find 2e rules in BG2 restrictive, and how do you get around them?

Guest mongerman

Guest mongerman

As per topic. Why are there so many restrictions? Here are some of the restrictions I find silly, and use SK/mods to get around

Race restriction on classes and dual/multi classing - don't think i need to elaborate on that

Multi class fighters limited to 2 * in proficiencies - way I see it, each * is like a year in training, so how the fighter plans to place the * is totally up to him.

No kits in multi-classing - a kit brings it's own disadvantages to a multi-class as well, so why is it not allowed? (barring using UAI on a kensai/thief)

What do you guys think?

As per topic. Why are there so many restrictions? Here are some of the restrictions I find silly, and use SK/mods to get around

Race restriction on classes and dual/multi classing - don't think i need to elaborate on that

Yes, this is just an oddity of 1st edition AD&D that stayed around for 2nd edition.

Multi class fighters limited to 2 * in proficiencies - way I see it, each * is like a year in training, so how the fighter plans to place the * is totally up to him.

No kits in multi-classing - a kit brings it's own disadvantages to a multi-class as well, so why is it not allowed?

These are both about keeping multi-class characters under control. At least at low- to mid-levels, multi-class characters have a dramatic advantage over single-class ones. Kits give a net advantage to you (for all that they come with disadvantages) so (the argument goes) they partly balance out multi-class advantages.

Kits give a net advantage to you (for all that they come with disadvantages) so (the argument goes) they partly balance out multi-class advantages.

I think the roleplay explanation is more about kits being specialties, and that it doesn't make sense for a character to specialize and to have another class on the side. If you want to be a kensai, you must dedicate yourself to that specialty. For the same reason, you cannot be both a necromancer and an invoker. It doesn't make sense to double-speacialize (that's in my opinion, but I think this is the AD&D explanation too).

razly

No, actually, I find the BG implementation much too FREE for my tastes. If it was up to me:

I'd have the old 1e race level restrictions, including the high stat bonus levels.

I'd have each suit of armor in the game be for a specific race, rather than generic.

I'd have the intelligence and wisdom checks on levels of spells cast.

I'd have the multiple levels of encumbrance implemented.

I'd have mind control spells that alow an extra save if you order your controlled minion to attack friends.

And so on.

Archived