Friendship talk preview

berelinde

I was trying to find a friendship talk that 1) I've already written, 2) doesn't have too many spoilers, 3) shows some of the less-chosen character types who might befriend Gavin and 4) is familiar enough so you'll recognize him. In the end, I decided that I couldn't avoid game spoilers. If you haven't played through BG2 yet, you should be trying it without mods first, anyway, so I'm not spoiling anything the second-or-more-time player hasn't already found out.

This particular dialogue path assumes a neutral male PC (possibly one with evil tendencies) who knew Gavin in BG1. In this scenario, Gavin is recruited in Chapter 3, after the player has already agreed to work for Bodhi. Gavin can be recruited at the start of Chapter 2, but I liked having the opportunity to show how the PC can be evasive about Bodhi (and how he won't be happy, but he knows that sometimes, you have to do what you have to do). Naturally, there are a plethora of dialogue choices that I hope will capture the mood of the PC adequately, but showing them all would be too long, so this is only one possible dialogue path. Since you can return to the "What else did you want to talk about?" line more or less endlessly, the dialogue can be much, much longer. It could also be shorter if you tell him you're fine, thanks, but don't feel like talking. In other words, it can be as long or short as the player wants.

Gavin: ~It's been a long time since we sat across the fire from each other. How are you holding up?~

PC: ~It's terrible, Gavin. I've had no one to drink with, these last six months.~

Gavin: ~I've got a flask right here. I'll pour, you talk.~

PC: ~They've got Imoen, Gavin. They accused her of using magic illegally and dragged her off to a prison for magical deviants.~

Gavin: ~That's grim news indeed. I meant to ask why she wasn't with us... I hoped the reason was that she was meeting up with us later.~

Gavin: ~What are you doing to get her back?~

PC: ~A... woman... named Bodhi has agreed to secure us passage to Spellhold, if we help her and her allies.~

Gavin: ~Why did you hesitate before saying the word "woman"?~

PC: ~She transcends the word. I've never met anyone like her.~

Gavin: ~I feel a chill at the way you say that, but it must be my imagination. She's willing to help, so there must be some good in her.~

PC: ~They do say you are what you eat.~

Gavin: ~What is that supposed to mean?~

PC: ~She's a vampire, Gavin. I didn't want to tell you, knowing how you feel about undead, but you're bound to find out, sooner or later.~

Gavin: ~You're right about that, but the stakes are a woman's life. I pray that Lathander will forgive the sin of allowing undead to un-live, but it would be well to make sure Imoen is safe before rectifying that.~

PC: ~I expected more opposition than that.~

Gavin: ~We all do what we must. I'll help however I can.~

Gavin: ~What else did you want to talk about?~

PC: ~What more is there to say?~

Gavin: ~You always were a survivor.~

PC: ~Something to carve on my tombstone, that.~

Gavin: ~Let's save that for your old age.~

Gavin: ~Anything else, or was that all you wanted to say?~

PC: ~That's it, for now.~

Gavin: ~Then sleep well, and we'll talk more tomorrow.~

(party rests)

I really really like this. I'm so glad that he isn't someone who would not allow you to choose Bodhi's path. I'm certain he will have some trouble with her quests, but then again he should have trouble with the Shadow Thieves' quests too.

But - and this but would break my heart, if you choose Bohdi's side is it a romance breaker? Or aren't you telling?

Archived