default.tot problems in BG2

Guest thelee

Guest thelee

I posted this in some linux forums, but maybe I can get some help here.

I'm playing BG2 through WINE on linux (specifically gentoo, and yes, before you complain, *all* my infinite engine games are completely legit - in fact overly legit, as I frequently lose my BG2 cd's (or one of them) and buy new ones), and despite the fact that I've successfully played all the way from BG to BG2:ToB ending once before on wine (with an Enchanter) without this problem, my second play through (starting in SoA with a Blade) now has *the* most annoying problem ever.

Every time the game tries to save (whether an auto save or a manual save), at the very end of the progress bar, I get a note saying "Save failed. Do you wish to quit? Yes/No", and of course I press No. It turns out that in my BGII - SoA/temp directory, there's a problematic 0-byte sized file named "default.tot". As long as that file is in the directory, my saves fail. But if I delete the default.tot file and try a save, the save succeeds just fine (but a new, 0-byte sized default.tot is immediately created).

It really boggles my mind, because, like I said before, I did a complete BG->BG2:ToB playthrough without ever hitting this problem, but this second playthrough has been botching right off the bat with the autosave after Irenicus pounds on my PC for a few damage.

Since y'all seem to be really familiar with the internals of the infinite engine, maybe someone can shed some light on what might be going on here?

Guest thelee
Somebody over at ShS had the same problem a couple of days ago and was referred to this thread: http://appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iA...iThreadId=21293. Hope this helps!

I was thinking about creating a shell script to just default the default.tot file non-stop, but the final post on that thread provides an elegant, simple solution! Simply creating an empty default.tot/ directory in temp worked like a charm. Thanks!

Guest thelee
Somebody over at ShS had the same problem a couple of days ago and was referred to this thread: http://appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iA...iThreadId=21293. Hope this helps!

I was thinking about creating a shell script to just delete the default.tot file non-stop, but the final post on that thread provides an elegant, simple solution! Simply creating an empty default.tot/ directory in temp worked like a charm. Thanks!

Archived