Paths with spaces in

I've changed one of the batch files slightly. Hopefully paths with spaces should now work (no need for quotes).

I'll include this in the official download this evening when I get home; until then, if you want to use an IWD installation with spaces in its path, do the following:

1) when you download the mod, escape out of the program as soon as it asks you for the BG2 path.

2) download the attached file, unzip, and dump it in the conversion home folder

3) open a command window, navigate to the conversion home folder, type "iwd_in_bg2\iwd_in_bg2.bat"

EDIT: on further testing, I'm getting a more serious set of problems with this - it looks as if weidu itself (specifically, its --biff-get-rest command) is choking on filenames with spaces. For now, I'm just going to have to say your IWD install path needs to be SPACE-FREE. Hopefully we can sort this out later.

EDIT again: I'm being cruel to WEIDU - as always, it's smarter than I am. I've now got a tested batch file that handles paths with spaces - attached.

get_iwd_resources.zip

3) open a command window, navigate to the conversion home folder, type "iwd-in-bg2\iwd-in-bg2.bat"

This caused me no end of frustration until I went and looked up the actual folder and file names. You'll be typing in "iwd_in_bg2\iwd_in_bg2.bat", swapping underscores for hyphens.

Hope this saves somebody else half an hour's fiddling.

3) open a command window, navigate to the conversion home folder, type "iwd-in-bg2\iwd-in-bg2.bat"

This caused me no end of frustration until I went and looked up the actual folder and file names. You'll be typing in "iwd_in_bg2\iwd_in_bg2.bat", swapping underscores for hyphens.

Hope this saves somebody else half an hour's fiddling.

Sorry! - edited

Tab-completion would have been helpful in this case. Just type "iwd" and then hit the Tabulator key. (Multiple times to scroll through all possible completions.)

EDIT: on further testing, I'm getting a more serious set of problems with this - it looks as if weidu itself (specifically, its --biff-get-rest command) is choking on filenames with spaces. For now, I'm just going to have to say your IWD install path needs to be SPACE-FREE. Hopefully we can sort this out later.

I think WeiDU is handling this correctly.

But these two lines in get_iwd_resources.bat:250 could be problematic (no quotes around IWDPATH):

FOR %%f IN (*.bcs) DO ..\weidu.exe %%f --game %IWDPATH%
FOR %%f IN (*.dlg) DO ..\weidu.exe %%f --game %IWDPATH%

Also check lines 41 and 72:

ECHO %IWDPATH%>Input

Can lead to unexpected results if the directory is something like "IWD 1".

(See my SHS post for more info about this.)

/Edit: Apparently. I'm a bit late. Didn't see your second edit, so ignore the first part.

OK, just to be sure I'm clear on this, this is what I need to do:

1 Get clean, patched, completely unmodded BG2 and IWD installations. (Just as well it didn't work yesterday - forgot to patch)

2 Run the EXE but abort it when it asks for my BG2 path

3 Download and install the file in the top post (the one with "resources" in the name)

4 Open a command window

5 Navigate to my IWD-in-BG2 home directory

6 Type in iwd_in_bg2/iwd_in_bg2.bat

7 Go through the installation

8 Fire up the game and start thinking about NPCs

Sorry to pester you with all this. But you never know. Maybe you need to know if someone who's pretty much technologically illiterate can still follow the setup instructions, and that's a job I'm good at.

@Taimon: Thanks. I'll remember that for future reference, but I didn't know about that this time. I really am technology impaired, I'm afraid.

Archived