Feedback

Know Opponent

Uh, I think there might be a small inaccuracy in wording of Know Opponent. It says: "When this spell is cast, the priest's eyes glow with magical energy etc".

Are druids supposed to get it too? Because in my current build Jaheira has it. Druids can be viewed as some kind of forest priest ofc, but still, more vague word instead of "priest" would fit here better imo.

In theory the term priest is used for both cleric and druid, but I admit it doesn't sound very well for the latter, and it gets even worse when the spell is used by a ranger. I guess replacing 'priest' with 'caster' is a simple solution.

Druids should not get Know Opponent, they still have it because they have really too few spells already. As soon as I add them a couple more 2nd lvl spells (e.g. Animal Summoning II, Alicorn Lance) I will restrict it to clerics.

Regenerate Wound spells

Same with regenerate-type druid heals.

Same as above, 'caster' will do considering rangers get them as well.

Btw those regen spells are awesome and very distinct.

:) Have you tried them in-game? Some players are asking me to buff them but I wanted to get more feedback first. Personally I think they are ok.

Yep, and it's as useful as regular heals, albeit requires different approach.

On insane difficulty EVERYTHING has a chance to one-shot any character up to level 5 or so (even with armor revisions phys.res.). The only hope for melee-oriented character to do something useful is either:

a) to close on archers;

b) try to get aggro and maybe hit a monster that melees slower than said character, then run away.

Regen-type spells fit perfectly for both cases: abysmal (to none) overhealing; no need for healer to catch up on wounded character (he'll get better eventually or will die anyway); they're more reliable versus projectiles and dots (they actually neutralize Melf's acid arrow in terms of damage and also you can get lucky and regenerate a hitpoint, say, inbetween multiple magic missiles inbound; higher levels of regeneration probably will allow characters to walk unhindered through things like acid fog (!)).

Overall they actually seem vastly superior if not from flat hp value standpoint, but from tactical point of view for sure.

Edited by n-ghost

Oh, and other thing.

Goodberries are actually good D:

I mean, even healing 1hp\gulp, it's a nice alternative for those squishies you don't want to spend a real healing spell on (or for those who have, say, 14\15 hp, since on lower levels every single hp can mean a difference between a wound and a gib).

#goodberriesforlife

#jaheiraforduke

Edited by n-ghost

Just have a quick question with bg2tweaks compatibility. bg2tweaks introduces the shapeshifter rebalancing and while I welcome it, it also comes with a few spell changes. How does that work with this mod?

For example, allowing druids access to some cleric spells and changing conjure animals

Just have a quick question with bg2tweaks compatibility. bg2tweaks introduces the shapeshifter rebalancing and while I welcome it, it also comes with a few spell changes. How does that work with this mod?

For example, allowing druids access to some cleric spells and changing conjure animals

It depends on install order. If you install SR after bg2tweaks then you get SR spellbook. If you install that particular component of bg2tweaks after SR than your druid will get Sanctuary, Chant, Zone of Sweet Air (kinda redundant considering SR's Gust of Wind), Glyph of Warding (SR has Fire Trap), Righteous Magic. You may not get "Greater Bearweres" though because SR disables Conjure Animal.

(having different spell install oder gives these "extras")... Zone of Sweet Air (kinda redundant considering SR's Gust of Wind), Glyph of Warding (SR has Fire Trap)

But shouldn't you technically flag the spells as the same ones in the ADD_SPELL -function (the actual how to tutorial)? You are using that function to add your own spells... and not disable everything else than the ones you are into, and even then overwriting most of them too. This was so in v3.1

ADD_PROJECTILE ~spell_rev\projectles\dvffire.pro~
COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr114.spl~     ~override~  // Faerie Fire (new druid spell)
  SAY NAME1 @25    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @26
  WRITE_SHORT 0x98 %dvffire%
COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr114f.spl~     ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr114b.bam~     ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr114c.bam~     ~override~

AND that's bad.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Guys can you mod this game so that the scripted dialogue bosses like irenicus etc are still vulnerable to spells like dominate, desintegrate, flesh to stone, finger of death, polymorph other etc. its always been irritating for me that the most difficult opponents ignore these while save or die are actually best suited against the tough opponents .

Guys can you mod this game so that the scripted dialogue bosses like irenicus etc are still vulnerable to spells like dominate, desintegrate, flesh to stone, finger of death, polymorph other etc. its always been irritating for me that the most difficult opponents ignore these while save or die are actually best suited against the tough opponents .

They can be done. I don't see Demi to be likely to do it, but you can do this on your own. You pick up the Editors, you open up the creature file with Near Infinity, and you'll see their jewelry items usually(rings&amulet), and you open that up with

DLTCEP as it's better at actually editing stuff, they have their immunities stored in them, usuallly via the opcode 101, you go and remove them with the editor and then you go to a game that you have not seen that enemy boss yet or even been in the area where they are(Irenicus is actually an exception as the character at the start of the adventure is not the actual one you'll battle against), and then you just bet all their friends with them and then kill the boss. Or make Irenicus summon 10 demons and leave him alone with them.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I am actually sympathetic to geg_Ma3gau's request.

The bosses having unrealistic/implausible stats/protections is another example of poor game design: an artificial, easy way to raise the level of challenge by bending the rules of the game to penalize and punish the player.

The bosses having unrealistic/implausible stats/protections is another example of poor game design: an artificial, easy way to raise the level of challenge by bending the rules of the game to penalize and punish the player.

Yeah, but you have to also understand the other side... Sarevoks cleric friend Tamoko decides to use Magic Rock spell instead of the Flame Strike, Hold Person or Animated Dead she just happens to have. At level 1, any of those is likely to kill you... there the game ended before chapter 2, happy ? See it's not always about being able to do everything you should be able. And charm spells can destroy the creature file... and make it unkillable because the dialog option that kills them won't show up. Which is an engine limitation, not to be joked about.

And charm spells can destroy the creature file... and make it unkillable because the dialog option that kills them won't show up. Which is an engine limitation, not to be joked about.

This. I simply dread using ANY charm-related spells on ANY creatures out there, because the next second I might have karma police knocking at my door.

Although afair BG1 had a share of easter eggs related precisely to charms.

Edited by n-ghost

Demi, I'm grabbing the new build right now, and will throw a random suggestion right away.

How about redesigning those cheesy Aerial Servants completely?

Quoting PnP here:

Though an aerial servant performs whatever task is asked of it, it resents being summoned and forced to do another’s bidding; therefore, it attempts to pervert the conditions of the summoning and its mission.

Maybe add a mental battle akin to vanilla elementals or Protection vs Something check on party as in the case with fiends? So one actually must maintain proper wards if he wishes to summon an army of these.

Though probably that would mess with AI clerics :(

Also:

An aerial servant generally avoids combat in its native planes. However, if attacked or threatened, it responds by attempting to grab and strangle its opponent. The aerial servant's first successful roll to hit means it has grabbed its victim; in each successive round that it holds its victim, the aerial servant, if it desires, automatically inflicts 8-32 hp of damage.

Could it normal melee be remade in a way that it would do no damage anymore, but instead will have a chance to apply a 1 round hold entangle + 8d4 damage in that round?

Edited by n-ghost