Feedback

Latest thing: the short bows and long bows created by Enchanted Weapon (DVENSBOW and DVENLBOW) have only 1.5 attacks per round instead of 2, like other bows of those types. Confirmed in DLTC Editor that this is from the Stat: Attacks Per Round Modifier effect.

That's what you get for playing a game w/o Item Revisions, where bow's rate of fire is nefred to 3/2 apr.

I took a look at the Item Revisions thread, but since it's structured as changes from a previous version I have no idea what else is going on with it. A page or document that shows everything as it currently stands would be a lot more useful for prospective users than the Bob Ross step-by-step method, especially since Item Revisions is old enough to be in kindergarten by now. If something like that is distributed with the closed beta, then that's better than nothing, but it would be good for people to be able to see that without being in the closed beta.

The same goes for the other mods, really. The Spell Revision mod has a nice list of spell descriptions for v3, but beyond that it's just a changelog. Not a huge priority thing, but it would be nice to have current documentation.

Idon't know if I'm interest on making a higher lvl variant of this spell because +3 enchantment is enough to hit 99,9% of all the in-game enemies, and +4/+5 should be reserved for really epic stuff imo

The thing is, the really epic stuff is way more than just a +5 enchantment. It's got a +5 enchantment and also makes you a sandwich 3/day, covers your enemies in bees on hit if they fail their save, and does double damage vs carnies, mimes, midgets, and other circus-folk. A weapon that is merely +5 isn't in the same league as the really good stuff.

In any case, having it scale with level would help Bards out, and unless you've got a mod that lets them dual class, they could definitely use the help.

Edited by Pax_Empyrean

Item Revisions is old enough to be in kindergarten by now. If something like that is distributed with the closed beta, then that's better than nothing, but it would be good for people to be able to see that without being in the closed beta.

It's got a +5 enchantment and also makes you a sandwich 3/day, covers your enemies in bees on hit if they fail their save, and does double damage vs carnies, mimes, midgets, and other circus-folk.

:p

In any case, having it scale with level would help Bards out, and unless you've got a mod that lets them dual class, they could definitely use the help.

Here, get the Thief/Bard kit, it's not exact dual classing, but the closest you'll get in this engine... and it has a +x weapon in itself(a long sword), up to +4.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Here, get the Thief/Bard kit, it's not exact dual classing, but the closest you'll get in this engine... and it has a +x weapon in itself(a long sword), up to +4.

Hmm... interesting. I take it there's no way to just add thief skill points to the Bard when they level up? It'd have to lose a weapon quickslot to make room for Bardic Music, but... meh. I don't know enough about modding this game yet.

Anyway, got some first impressions on higher level summons from looking at the stats.

Aerial Servant vs Animate Skeleton Warrior. Holy crap is this one a no-contest. The skeleton warrior is superior in a few respects: it's got 90% magic resistance, it's got a longer list of immunities, and it lasts for 8 hours. The Aerial Servant lasts for 1 turn per level, which is long enough that it doesn't matter unless you're trying to rest and want extra help if you get attacked. The 90% magic resistance is a big deal, but improved invisibility makes it so that it's impossible to target the Aerial Servant with spells anyway. One non-detection spell and you're ready to go. The Aerial Servant does more damage per hit (2d6+11 vs 2d6+4), has THAC0 that's better by either 9 or 13 points, depending on whether the stat block takes improved invisibility into account, AC that's better by either 3 or 7... the difference in combat effectiveness is just huge.

Summon Death Knight, on the other hand, is rather overpowered thanks to the spell list of the summoned monster. A level 7 spell gets you a monster that can cast Symbol of Weakness and Symbol of Death, both level 7 spells. Plus, it can cast Power Word Blind, Stun, and Kill (written as "Death" in the description; needs a fix). That's a lot of iconic, high level Wizard spells that the Cleric probably shouldn't have access to, even indirectly.

Druids seem like they would have a stronger set of summons than Clerics, since a larger chunk of their spell list is summoning spells, but their summons are overshadowed by what the Cleric gets. Elemental summons last for 1-3 turns depending on level, while the Cleric summons last anywhere from 3 turns to 8 hours right out of the box. The Shambling Mound is strong and lasts a long time, but the Animal Summoning line is kind of lackluster and that makes up the majority of a Druid's summoning options.

Summons

Anyway, got some first impressions on higher level summons from looking at the stats. ...

The Aerial Servant is kinda OP yes. It has remained unchanged for too much and I'll surely do something to rebalance it. The Skeleton Warrior instead is more or less balanced for its new spell lvl instead imo, with great tanking properties but limited offensive potential.

The Death Knight is intended to be "OP" but not fully controllable, nor fully friendly (e.g. he turns hostile if you damage it, unlike most SR summons). I do have to better implement its "availability" (aka you should not be able to summon it so easily), just as I have to do for the other Gate-like spells.

When it comes to Cleric vs. Druid, keep in mind that Animate Dead's Skeletons, Skeleton Warrior and Death Knight are evil-only within V4, thus non-evil clerics don't have a single summonable ally until Aerial Servant, which should probably work as a Planar Bindind spell of some sort rather than a free summoning. That being said, a few Animal Summoning spells (III, IV and V in particular imo) probably need a small boost.

I take it there's no way to just add thief skill points to the Bard when they level up?

Well even if you set it up so, the Bard won't be able to use the thieving skills. It's hardcoded to the classes ...

This is way off-topic here, but: the cleric/thief has the "thievery" ability as an innate ability rather than on the main UI bar. Can you give this to a bard and apply skills in, say, Open Locks, via CLAB effects?

I know for a fact that you can do this with the Set Trap ability... my mod has a ranger kit that can use traps. I wonder if you can't do the same thing with lock-picking...

('Cause, if so, get ready for the bard kits in my mod to get more interesting! I think the Loremaster, in particular, should be able to pick locks.)

the cleric/thief has the "thievery" ability as an innate ability rather than on the main UI bar. Can you give this to a bard and apply skills in, say, Open Locks, via CLAB effects?

You did hear me when I said it was class based, have you seen the Cleric/Thief's CLAB file ? See the Cleric/Thief is a base class, not a kit(well it's both base class and a mix of two other base classes, but it's programmed as one of the base classes).

Yeah, the bard even has the thieving(pickpocket) User icon in his UI, but it doesn't allow them to disable traps even if the trap itself is revealed by others nor unlock locked doors even if they have skill points in the both skills. The thing with the traps... it's a innate "spell", not just an skill.

I am the master of off topicness and Demivrgvs has the right and my full support to move all my post to other topics, make new topics and ban me if he so feels. I mostly just try to help. And drive Demi insane... :D Näh, not really. See, he is already there. :D

Hey guys, I played through roughly half of BG2 and thought I should give a little feedback.

The general impression is great. :D

I love then new mage spells although i thought that more would be implemented in the current build.

The reworked petrify is a beauty and i must have it memorized even when i dont think i'll need it. :D

I offten use the higher lvl cone spells on my F/M even as i many times fear than CoCold will destroy the candy but i try to use it on tankier targets.

It would be great if the frost spells would get a similar rework as the Disintegrate spell but i belive it is too much work for our very busy modders. That being said i think that the 8th lvl Bigbies spell is now less apealing because it ofthen breaks the loot.

I have instaled the AE spell defelection component and i think its great. Especialy because there is no other way to save your squishier casters from those ae spells if you dont allready know whats coming for you.

The invisability/detection changes are great and i aprove. :)

I'm not sure i like the haste changes but i agree that they were a little OP before. Im a bit biased cause of my Berz/Mage. :)

Mantles were never more fun than now and i love how the prismatic one can one shot an attacker.

The regeneration spells are suprisingly really usefull and i use them quite often. The same cant be said for the druid summons, but to be honest i havent realy tested them that much. I dont like the concept of druids sending animals to their deaths except in some cases but thats more of a taste thing.

I havent been playing much with the clerics but i havent noticed any major changes except the skeleton warior one wich i agree with. Time to get your own hands dirty. ;)

As for the bugs, problems or crashes I havent encountered any except the crash in the wildernes zone with the random party wich i remember was there before this mod. I think it was because of SCS or something. The only thing i remember is some spellbook inconsistencies like havin both a 1st and 4th lvl dimension door and a 4th lvl acid sheeth on Aerie. Considering i played with a lot of mods insaled (witch is probably not that good for testing the beta) im amazed at how well this mod works. That being said you have earned an internet cookie of deliciousness + the sprinkles. :D (im in college, so im too poor to send you any kind of real gratitude) :p

The mods i use in this playthrouh are these: Spell revisions (ofcourse :p), Item revisions, BG2 fixpack, SCS, D0QuestPack, Unfinished buisnes, Wheels of prophecy, Cliffkey (minor mod for key bag), Banterpack and some components from BG2 Tweaks.

All in all this is a GREAT mod and i give it 10/10.

Keep up the good work ! Cheers

Demi, if you're reading this, Expeditious Retreat is fun and useful (both for escape and quick travel, especially in conjunction with revised armors).

There is an issue though: it doesn't block innates. That, among other things, includes:

- all kind of Bhaalspawn powers;

- cheesy paladin innates;

- HLAs (if corresponding SCS part is installed).

Don't know if you can actually block their usage for the duration of spell though.

Also it could use a new icon (Protection from Petrification icon is a placeholder at best). Actually, I've discovered the spell by pure luck while checking spell descriptions for typos and whatnot.

Edited by n-ghost