Feedback

Richard is jailed to guard a container of his essence for all eternity, likely squshed into a rapidly build upon cellar of a structure that thousands people die above before any see the next unlucky whelp to lurk on into their prison.

-fear, is not a weakness of the strong. It's the strength of understanding yourself and those that you depend upon.

"I am afraid of nothing", said a man that was once a mage, now locked into a room of his own design, yet completely terrified of nothing outside of it, as he was a mage, a magic user that knew that places existed, where nothing was what could be his enemy, places of anti-magical auras and chaotical rifts, that he couldn't step anywhere near them... so much that to stay out from them, he would but stay within his cell, forever, truly a man afraid of nothing.

Neither the spiritual and moral cowardice of the lich, nor the realization of the truly wise that undeath is a prison and that the path of real courage is to embrace eternity and not hide from it, detract from the fact that liches are immune to normal weapons and so gain a concrete tactical advantage from using Protection from Magical Weapons instead of Mantle.

4 hours ago, TheLoneTremere said:

Yeah sorry, i didnt know what mod was making changes to it.

A number of mods do, but SR is what changes the name from "Hopelessness" to "Despair" snd change it from a Sleep spell to an 'impose combat penalties' spell .

4 hours ago, TheLoneTremere said:

However i did a reinstall with things like tome of blood removed, 

:(

18 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

:(

Hey! I like what the mod does... but it causes problems for my runs. Like not being able to select spells as a sorcerer. Another thing was i think that or this one mod called refinements, also. 

But yeah, it might've been mostly some other mods screwing with spells and stuff. Heck ctb and dark side of the sword coast had problems.

2 minutes ago, BlackTalons said:

Not sure if posting this here, but in beta 16 I'm getting an extra Monster Summoning II and Mestil's Acid Sheath (lvl 5 by description) at 4th level in the mage's spellbook. they share the same descriptions as the SR versions and work the same way.

You games weidu.log might help to identify the source of this... so open the file with Notepad and copy-paste it to a new thread for this subject.

Hello,

I just posted this issue in the thread about v4b16, so I'm sorry for the double posting: Doing an EET game with SR and some other spell mods (IWDification, Divine Remix - just spells and kits, TnB) and discovered that Sanctuary seems to be bugged. My priest (Branwen) casts it and is turned invisible for a few seconds before becoming visible again while taking no action. No blue cone that I remember from Sanctuary. I checked the mod file for this spell - SPPR109, I believe, and it all seems to be in the Override folder. Any idea what could be causing this and/or how to fix it? I don't think the other spell mods could be at fault, they don't modify Sanctuary in any way, I don't think. Could I theoretically replace the override file with something to fix it? Thanks for any help!

12 minutes ago, harticus33 said:

Hello,

The likely culprate is that as this is a BG1 deriviant game you are talking about, is that you run out of spell duration on, as your caster level is not that large that the spell lasts for very long. Yeah, the invisibility effect is the standard Sanctuary effect ... it just modified to be everyone, not just the undead that it was in the original.

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

The likely culprate is that as this is a BG1 deriviant game you are talking about, is that you run out of spell duration on, as your caster level is not that large that the spell lasts for very long. Yeah, the invisibility effect is the standard Sanctuary effect ... it just modified to be everyone, not just the undead that it was in the original.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying  - You think because I'm using EET that the resources aren't used correctly? I ran an EET run two years back with SR and had no issues with Sanctuary casting correctly. I also tried to console level my priest to a high level and had the same result. The invisibility I do get lasts half a second with AI on, rather than two or so with AI off. 

Would it be reckless to take the SR file for Sactuary - SPPR109, and overwrite the file in my Override folder? Just in case some other mod glitched it? 

I don't use Sanctuary a ton, but without it will have a tough time in the drow city later on...

2 hours ago, harticus33 said:

Would it be reckless to take the SR file for Sactuary - SPPR109, and overwrite the file in my Override folder? Just in case some other mod glitched it?

So I did this, and it got kinda interesting...

Sanctuary, as it is intended, was restored: blue cylinder thing, the right amount of time if immunity. BUT the description is super wacky. The spell in the spellbook now has a period after it, and the description reads: "Nowhere he can help me against such fighters as these."

Weird stuff. I made a copy of the pre-existing SPPR109 so I could put it back in if needed. Not sure how I'll continue. Having a weird spell description takes me out of the experience a bit, but it is nice to have the spell work as intended. 

Does this prove some other mod I have interfered with SR?

Edited by Mike1072
fixed formatting

To find out if a mod you installed edited a game file... and what mod to uninstall to remove it's effects if bad, you can --change-log the file by just renaming the setup-modname.exe to be weidu.exe and running a .bat file with the following code in it. You make a .bat file by making a new .txt file, and copy pasting the code with Notepad for example, and then using the "Save As..." -command, removing the .txt and replacing it with the .bat, so name it for example "logging.bat".

mkdir change-log
WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log sppl109.spl >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log
pause

This will make the mentioned change-log folder, into which it will import the backup copies the games has had from the file with sppl109.0000x.spl names the x being a number, and the log that tells of the mod components that edit the file.

2 hours ago, harticus33 said:

So I did this, and it got kinda interesting...

Sanctuary, as it is intended, was restored: blue cylinder thing, the right amount of time if immunity. BUT the description is super wacky. The spell in the spellbook now has a period after it, and the description reads: "Nowhere he can help me against such fighters as these."

Weird stuff. I made a copy of the pre-existing SPPR109 so I could put it back in if needed. Not sure how I'll continue. Having a weird spell description takes me out of the experience a bit, but it is nice to have the spell work as intended. 

Does this prove some other mod I have interfered with SR?

The name and description (both being examples of what the game calls "strings") of the spell are set by the setup executable - i.e. they're set when you install the mod via its normal exe. When you just drop a .spl or .itm file into your override, you're basically putting a nameless and descriptionless version of the file into your override, except sometimes instead of referencing nothing, the name and description might reference some other random string from the game, since it wasn't set like it was supposed to. The fact that you took the SR version of the file and put it in your override and it immediately worked correctly simply proves that it wasn't SR causing the problem (...this is not always a totally safe assumption, as SR could be patching it in some other way after it drops the .spl file into your override, but I know it to be the case with 99% certainty for this scenario in particular). So do a changelog and figure out what else could be messing with it.

6 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

To find out if a mod you installed edited a game file... and what mod to uninstall to remove it's effects if bad, you can --change-log the file by just renaming the setup-modname.exe to be weidu.exe and running a .bat file with the following code in it. You make a .bat file by making a new .txt file, and copy pasting the code with Notepad for example, and then using the "Save As..." -command, removing the .txt and replacing it with the .bat, so name it for example "logging.bat".

To clarify, I do this all in the game folder, where I installed all the mods? And I would rename the setup-SR.exe? My biggest problem at this point is that I'm on a mac, so I'll have to figure out how to run the .bat file, or is there a similar extension I should use for a mac executable?

Thanks for the tips, Jarno and Bartimaeus, I'll give the changelog a try! Preemptive apologies if this turns out to have nothing to do with SR!

Edited by Mike1072
fixed formatting