Feedback

6 hours ago, harticus33 said:

To clarify, I do this all in the game folder, where I installed all the mods? And I would rename the setup-SR.exe? My biggest problem at this point is that I'm on a mac, so I'll have to figure out how to run the .bat file, or is there a similar extension I should use for a mac executable?

Sorry for assuming Windows and the ability to use MS-dos... on mac's you do nothing with the .exe's, but the same named command tools. Aka "setup-spell_rev" -file. You just rename that to be weidu ... and then you somehow use that to make the log. On Windows you can run the weidu.exe by itself and that allows to also insert the console commands after a few Enter pushes as it opens the MS-dos console.. but I would assume that might involve using the setup-spell_rev.command -file somehow, but I have no actual idea. 

Now yes, I realize that's vague as hell. But I am a Windows user, and will never ever try any other format of computing... can't help more.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
9 hours ago, harticus33 said:

To clarify, I do this all in the game folder, where I installed all the mods? And I would rename the setup-SR.exe? My biggest problem at this point is that I'm on a mac, so I'll have to figure out how to run the .bat file, or is there a similar extension I should use for a mac executable?

Put the "spell_rev" folder in your game folder where chitin.key is. Then grab this:

https://github.com/subtledoctor/OS-X-Weidu-Launcher/archive/5.1.246.zip

Unzip it and put the app in the same place. Then run the Weidu Launcher and select "spell_rev" from the list. 

I am playing BGT with this Spell Revisions mod and the final fight with Sarevok in BG1 is totally broken.  Not sure which mod is responsible.  The enemies are using BG2 stuff, like Flesh to Stone, Contingency, Tattoo of Power etc.  Death Spell instantly kills my 8th level Paladin.  Fireballs do damage to characters with Protection from Magic scrolls up, or Minor Globes of Invulnerability up.  These things should be impossible.  The fight is basically unwinnable since nothing works properly. Nothing affects the enemies at all. 

Real question I have at this point is whether I should just use console cheats to kill the enemies and go on to BG2.  I am not encouraged by what I am seeing of the spell behavior.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:59 AM, chuft said:

I am playing BGT with this Spell Revisions mod and the final fight with Sarevok in BG1 is totally broken.  Not sure which mod is responsible.  The enemies are using BG2 stuff, like Flesh to Stone, Contingency, Tattoo of Power etc.  Death Spell instantly kills my 8th level Paladin.  Fireballs do damage to characters with Protection from Magic scrolls up, or Minor Globes of Invulnerability up.  These things should be impossible.  The fight is basically unwinnable since nothing works properly. Nothing affects the enemies at all. 

Real question I have at this point is whether I should just use console cheats to kill the enemies and go on to BG2.  I am not encouraged by what I am seeing of the spell behavior.

Spell Revisions does not revise characters' spellbooks outside of removing invalid spells from party members. A different mod is responsible.

Hey guys,

Is there a reason why direct damage spells are changed in SR (I am using using Spell Revisions 3.1) compared to vanilla ?

In the original game every spell is checked once for its saving throw(s) and deals half damage via special flag 256. In SR, the spells are actually split in half, having one part dealing half of the dmg without saving throws and another half which does get negated completly if the save fails. Doesnt this make the minimum/average damage dealt higher because of having 2 rolls instead of one ? I guess it was changed intentionally to get these results, but I am still wondering what exactly was wrong with the initial damage calculation.

Also, Ive read some discussions about this mod already, most people saying this is pretty balanced and fair towards the base game; I however think that the mod does buff mages/sorcerers, who are already quite strong, pretty significantly, especially the extremely lowered saving throws towards the end of the spell spectrum.

Dont get me wrong though. the idea of the mod is great (balancing out the average power level of each spell in the game) - I just think that the creators went a little overboard at some points, which to me is a little bit annoying as I have to change some spells back to lower values after installing this great mod.

9 hours ago, kartoffelgratin said:

I however think that the mod does buff mages/sorcerers, who are already quite strong, pretty significantly, especially the extremely lowered saving throws towards the end of the spell spectrum.

Dont get me wrong though. the idea of the mod is great (balancing out the average power level of each spell in the game) - I just think that the creators went a little overboard at some points, which to me is a little bit annoying as I have to change some spells back to lower values after installing this great mod.

You are addressing criticism to a version of the mod that hasn’t been developed in at least 5-6 years. The authors have already acknowledged that criticism and v4 has adjusted things in just the way you have suggested. Also, v4 is specifically designed for use with the EE games. Frankly I’m surprised you even got v3.1 to install on the EEs. 

tl;dr: use v4 instead of v3. 

Well kartoffelgratin, thanks for bringing this up. I too downloaded the version here and ended up with version 3, which is what is linked at

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/spells/spell_rev/

and

https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/970-spell-revisions/

Where is version 4?

2 hours ago, chuft said:

Where is version 4?

Github and the thread here. Ouh wow, it's like it's the very second pinned thread in the mods own forum. Right after this one.

Yes, it's still a beta and will never be non-beta. Or you should get used to waiting for forever in the hopes that it will be an actual finished release.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, Jarno Mikkola said:

Github and the thread here. Ouh wow, it's like it's the very second pinned thread in the mods own forum. Right after this one.

Yes, it's still a beta and will never be non-beta. Or you should get used to waiting for forever in the hopes that it will be an actual finished release.

It doesn't have a full readme and maybe never will.  But it works fine.  The "beta" label no longer really reflects the actual state of the mod.