can L1NPC change to class be (re)done in a game already underway?

Lemernis

Uisng L1NPCs in a BGT game I have already made Nalia and Imoen both pure thieves. I had originally planned to use Nalia only unil I got Imoen back. But I decided to keep Nalia after all.

Now in Spellhold I have Imoen back. So I would really prefer to make class changes to both characters at this point.

I can easily go back to a save right before Imoen rejoins the party.

What will happen if at that point I

1) remove Nalia from the party (telling her to stay put via BG2 Tweaks); exit game

2) change Nalia's class via L1NPCs

3) change Imoen's class via L1NPCs

4) restart game and have Nalia and Imoen rejoin?

Should that work?

Hmm, Shadowkeeper might work I reckon.

I need more spellcasting, since I decided to drop Kido instead of Nalia. I was thinking of making Imoen a bard (a Blade perhaps). I guess there's no harm in trying it and seeing what happens.

I think:

Nalia will be unchanged. After joining the party, NPC information is stored in your saved game, not the override folder, so L1NPCs won't modify it.

Imoen might be changed. In the default game, the Imoen who joins you at Spellhold is different from the one who joins you in Jon's dungeon. If nothing modifies this, the new Imoen's information won't yet be in your saved game, so if you modify her before picking her up, she should be good.

Also, if you start a new game and recruit either of them, everyone should be using their new settings.

Why not change one of them using SK or NI?... Here's a hint, though: if you go through it all and the game crashes, you probably gave her too few proficiencies, spells, etc., not too many.

Hmm. In order for this to work I'm thinking I'll have to make a test character Blade in a new game, level up the character via the CLUA console, and take note of profs, skills scores, and number of spell slots.

Imoen might be changed. In the default game, the Imoen who joins you at Spellhold is different from the one who joins you in Jon's dungeon. If nothing modifies this, the new Imoen's information won't yet be in your saved game, so if you modify her before picking her up, she should be good.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping with Imoen. Would the fact that it is a BGT game where Imoen was a pure thief (never dualed) be a factor, though?

Yeah, that's what I was hoping with Imoen. Would the fact that it is a BGT game where Imoen was a pure thief (never dualed) be a factor, though?

The easiest way to find out would probably just be to modify her. If she doesn't get changed, you're in no worse shape.

Why not change one of them using SK or NI?... Here's a hint, though: if you go through it all and the game crashes, you probably gave her too few proficiencies, spells, etc., not too many.

Hmm. In order for this to work I'm thinking I'll have to make a test character Blade in a new game, level up the character via the CLUA console, and take note of profs, skills scores, and number of spell slots.

That would be best. Don't forget saving throws, HP, THAC0, ....

Now, that would depend on how BGT handles it... BGT might make the Spellhold Immy the BG1 Immy you have had in your party to improve continuity.

Yes, that is exactly right. She is still a Thief just as she has been after she was taken away by the Cowls. Although she has rejoined at higher level (I have BG2 Tweaks 'ToB Style NPCs' installed). And she has the custom portrait I had for her.

I'm also thinking I might leave Immy as is and change Nalia to a Thief 4/Mage x via Shadowkeeper.

I dunno, I might just go back to before leaving Athkatla and drop Nalia and take Kido as originally planned... It's just a small bit of the game to replay in order to do that.

I had installed the Nalia romance, and did want to see how it comes out. On the other hand I'm kind of curious to see what further mischief, if any, Kido might cause.

I just know I don't need two full thiefs at this point. I got to thinking Imoen would automatically be made into a Thief-Mage when she rejoined the party.

Edit: Okay, changed Immy to a true class bard via SK. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now, that would depend on how BGT handles it... BGT might make the Spellhold Immy the BG1 Immy you have had in your party to improve continuity.

Go talk to A64 :rolleyes:

Well, if you have installed any of the latest BGT versions(1.05...), the NPCs will have their BG1 stats etc during the BG2 if they were in the party and not dead, and Imoen will have the BG2 start stats in spellhold with a boost on her experience points. So you can use L1NPCs on the BG1 chars, boost their condition with the book that improves it, and get them in BG2, if they are in your party during the transition(before you talk to Belt the last time).

Go talk to A64 :rolleyes:

Well, if you have installed any of the latest BGT versions(1.05...), the NPCs will have their BG1 stats etc during the BG2 if they were in the party and not dead, and Imoen will have the BG2 start stats in spellhold with a boost on her experience points. So you can use L1NPCs on the BG1 chars, boost their condition with the book that improves it, and get them in BG2, if they are in your party during the transition(before you talk to Belt the last time).

I noticed that Imoen (who I have as pure Thief) went from level 11 to level 18, whereas most of the party is level 11-13. Her level does match Nalia though (who, as mentioned, I also made a pure Thief). So I suppose it's fine that her XP matches the level of the other Rogue's in the party. (Btw, I also have BG2 Tweaks 'ToB Style NPCs' installed.)

I have to say though, from a RP vantage I don't find it easy to justify such a large increase in experience for the character under these circumstances. Since I had to redo Immy with SK anyway I can leave her at level 11... though it would obviously be nice to give her a few more spells :mwaha: ...

Help me out, foks--what's the rationale for Imoen jumping 7 experience levels by virtue of whatever she has had to endure at the hands of Irenicus at Spellhold? I guess since we know Irenicus has been experimenting with both Bhaalspawn in order to study how much innate power they possess, perhaps we can assume his 'experiments' have challenged and developed Immy's skills?

I noticed that Imoen (who I have as pure Thief) went from level 11 to level 18, whereas most of the party is level 11-13. Her level does match Nalia though (who, as mentioned, I also made a pure Thief). So I suppose it's fine that her XP matches the level of the other Rogue's in the party.
Well, the original intention was to make Imoen about the same level as the charname... now, if you went to the Spellhold quite early, it might give you too much Imoen experience... and I have seen that there is a bit bad scripting code in the Level 1 NPCs .tp2 file that might in some cases give too much experience, though I have no idea where that report is, now.

It may be that the vanilla game increases her XP when she rejoins in Spellhold as well. (It's been so long since I played vanilla I can't recall.) I'm just pointing out that from a RP perspective why should Imoen gain XP during the time she is in Spellhold?

Archived