Arrows of Dispelling

Playing through on "max" difficulty all options installed.

These arrows are mage killers. They blow through

spell immunity along with everything else. Definitely overpowered and I agree with the option of removing them.

However on my game there are 120 of them for sale in the thieves guild. I think this is from the rogue rebalancing mod.

Any chance the arrows themselves could be toned down? If they were just a normal dispel magic that did not ignore spell immunity they would still be good but not so overpowered. Alternatively I would vote for an option to remove arrows of dispelling added by other mods.

Alternatively I would vote for an option to remove arrows of dispelling added by other mods.

I don't think this is a good idea since some mod characters (i.e. AI controlled opponents) have them and are scripted to rely on them in combat.

BTW, remember that the mere existance of Arrows of Dispelling in the game doesn't automatically force the player to use them. :rolleyes:

BTW, remember that the mere existance of Arrows of Dispelling in the game doesn't automatically force the player to use them. :rolleyes:

No, but why shouldn't a player use them if they are available and their use is perfectly legit?

And yes, the Arrows of Dispelling are overpowered but the solution is not to eliminate them from the game but rather nerf them somehow.

I am a big fan of both of your mods BTW. =)

However, I have to disagree here as these arrows are just too powerful and effectively undo so much of the difficulty introduced by SCS.

I did not think of the scripting issue. An alternative to nerfing the arrows or removing them altogether is to make them much more rare and make their price reflect their power.

If instead of 120 there were 5 arrows available at the thiefs guild that sold for 5000 gold each instead of the current 500 it would keep these in the game without being overly disruptive.

I imagine these arrows would be highly illegal in a city pratically run by cowled wizards.

The solution is to have an option to either remove them or nerf them. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a mod which removes Arrows of Dispelling from all stores in the game, as long as the ones which creatures (i.e. opponents) carry remain untouched.

As far as nerfing goes, Arrows of Dispelling must be enchanted, right? Why not at least make them subject to Protection from Magical Weapons?

They already are. In the unmodded game, the arrows are flagged as magical weapons and are therefore stopped by Protection from Magical Weapons, Mantle, Absolute Immunity...etc. For example, a character protected with PfMW is immune to the dispelling effect of the arrows.

If instead of 120 there were 5 arrows available at the thiefs guild that sold for 5000 gold each instead of the current 500 it would keep these in the game without being overly disruptive.

A fair point, I'll reduce the amount to 20 in the next release. However, note that the fletcher in Waukeen's Promenade sells 80 Arrows of Dispelling even in the unmodded game. As for the price tweaks, I'll leave that to some other mod as that's beyond the scope of RR.

Guest Guest
As far as nerfing goes, Arrows of Dispelling must be enchanted, right? Why not at least make them subject to Protection from Magical Weapons?

They already are. In the unmodded game, the arrows are flagged as magical weapons and are therefore stopped by Protection from Magical Weapons, Mantle, Absolute Immunity...etc. For example, a character protected with PfMW is immune to the dispelling effect of the arrows.

Actually, that's false.

The dispell will happen anyway, DavidW had the same problem with Carsomyr and the staff of the magi.

The dispell will happen anyway, DavidW had the same problem with Carsomyr and the staff of the magi.

Not on a clean (unmodded) install.

It's possible that some mod alters this behavior though.

I'm really sure Carsomyr and the SotM doesn't bypass PfMW, but I actually think Arrows of Dispelling were able to bypass it because even if flagged as magical were set with enchantment level 0. I'll look into it.

Archived