Beta Testing the Latest Version

To date, I have found the following bugs:

1. Initial HP for barbarians is too high.

2. In the Record window the Arbitration button had the Options icon, though it works properly.

3. Various creatures are 1XP low, generally low XP yielding creatures. Not a problem since we now get 10XP for trap removal/lock picking/spell scribing.

4. Loading a save from anywhere in Kuldahar, including buildings, results in the neo-orog attack before it's supposed to. The villagers attack them, and Arundel attacks you...

5. Ghast and Ghoul animations are wrong animations (not sure what yet).

6. Theric does not attack, even though showing red.

7. The broken and ancient armors have an "Open Container" button, crashes game if tried.

8. The tomb in AR3302 crashes the game if the trap is not removed. It's a Stinking Cloud spell.

9. Globals for AR3000_Visited and AR3600_Visited not incrementing to 1. (Thank you Kulyok for posting these globals.)

10. Verbeeg animation seems to be a mix of both Verbeeg and Tanari.

11. Transition from AR4001 to AR4002 cannot be accessed.

12. Regular troll animation is that of a drowned dead (HoW).

13. Global for clearing the way for the prisoners to escape not incrementing, so you can't talk with Mother Egenia or free Sheemish. (What global needs to be set here?)

14. Various spawns throughout the Vale of Shadows need to be examined. They can be from two to five times what they should.

13. Global for clearing the way for the prisoners to escape not incrementing, so you can't talk with Mother Egenia or free Sheemish. (What global needs to be set here?)

Mother Egenia requires SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite to be 10 or higher.

Sheemish requires Pathdead to be 5 or higher (and LKingDead to be 1, but that's probably not the problem).

Yet it works in IWD and doesn't in IWD-in-BG2 conversion. Probably because in IWD, these variables get set automatically, but it doesn't happen in BG2 engine.

12. Regular troll animation is that of a drowned dead (HoW).

By the way, yes, confirmed: you are absolutely right. I never realized that, though: I just killed them and proceeded with my business.

By the way, it may be a good idea if there's a pinned "Away note" thread for testers/programmers(because IWD-in-BG2 is such a large project in active beta testing). We had one for BG1 NPC, and it was especially useful while the work was very active - we knew when to expect a pause. But it's just me.

Yet it works in IWD and doesn't in IWD-in-BG2 conversion. Probably because in IWD, these variables get set automatically, but it doesn't happen in BG2 engine.

Actually, this one is because (I'm guessing) the variable got switched around as part of the conversion's support for incrementing DVs - her conversation trigger uses different variables in IWD and the conversion, but the conversion has the IWD variable incrementing when people are killed. This has been reported before and is in the "pending fixes" thread.

As far as the ARXXXX_VISITED variables getting set, I wrote some code to emulate the IWD behaviour. Since it still seems to be an issue and I haven't seen DavidW here in a bit, I'll post it. I know that they're important for Arundel in 2 or 3 different situations, but I don't know if they're needed elsewhere - this should take care of everything, though.

BEGIN ~Ensure ARXXXX_VISITED Variables Get Set~
//DESIGNATED ~3~

<<<<<<<< .../mike_unofficial_hotfixes-inlined/area_visited.baf
IF
 Global("AR%area_number%_VISITED", "GLOBAL", 0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("AR%area_number%_VISITED", "GLOBAL", 1)
Continue()
END
>>>>>>>>

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^AR[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\.are$~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x9b) BEGIN
INNER_PATCH_SAVE num ~%SOURCE_RES%~ BEGIN
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~AR~ ~~
END
READ_ASCII 0x94 script
INNER_ACTION BEGIN
  EXTEND_TOP ~%script%.bcs~ ~.../mike_unofficial_hotfixes-inlined/area_visited.baf~
	SPRINT area_number ~%num%~
	EVALUATE_BUFFER
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY

Also, fix to healing services offered in temples (no more Unholy Blight/Draw upon Holy Might):

BEGIN ~Fix Healing Services Offered in Temples~
//DESIGNATED ~2~

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x9b) BEGIN
READ_LONG 0x70 cures_off
READ_LONG 0x74 num_cures
FOR (i = 0; i < num_cures; i += 1) BEGIN
  READ_ASCII (cures_off + 0x0c*i) spell
  PATCH_IF (~%spell%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~SPPR214~) BEGIN // draw upon holy might
	WRITE_ASCII (cures_off + 0x0c*i) ~SPPR218~ // cure moderate wounds
  END
  ELSE PATCH_IF (~%spell%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~SPPR314~) BEGIN // unholy blight
	WRITE_ASCII (cures_off + 0x0c*i) ~SPPR317~ // cure disease
  END
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY

// stolen from BG2 Tweak Pack at G3
OUTER_INNER_PATCH ~12~ BEGIN
 WRITE_BYTE 1 0x09
 READ_ASCII 1 tab (1)  // 0x09, tab
END

COPY_EXISTING ~speldesc.2da~ ~override~
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~^[ %tab%]*SPPR214[ %tab%]~ ~SPPR218 ~
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~^[ %tab%]*SPPR314[ %tab%]~ ~SPPR317 ~
 BUT_ONLY

Actually, this one is because (I'm guessing) the variable got switched around as part of the conversion's support for incrementing DVs - her conversation trigger uses different variables in IWD and the conversion, but the conversion has the IWD variable incrementing when people are killed. This has been reported before and is in the "pending fixes" thread.

Ah, I see. So that when it's fixed, both IWD and conversion will use the same variables(and probably in Arundel's case, too), right? This is good.

Ah, I see. So that when it's fixed, both IWD and conversion will use the same variables(and probably in Arundel's case, too), right? This is good.

Yeah, probably. Arundel's issue is not related to the death variables, though. In IWD, it appears that the _VISITED variables get set when each map is loaded for the first time (hardcoded in the executable?), and Arundel relies on these to determine whether you've gotten out to where he told you to go yet. My fix adds blocks to the area scripts to set the appropriate variable when you enter each area.

Nope, I didn't mean "visited" problem. I meant Arundel's death problem, when his isdead variable did not get set - and my banters did not fire.

But, yes, great idea with "area visited" code.

I did some looking with NI (a new experience, this) and found the following:

GlobalGT("SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite","GLOBAL",9) is required to talk to Mother Egenia, and it isn't there in my saved game.

("LKingDead","GLOBAL",1) and GlobalGT("Pathdead","GLOBAL",4) are needed to free Sheemish. I cleared everything to get him out of there, but the Pathdead was only set to 3. Something got missed somewhere...

Also, I'm not so sure the random treasures are working IWD style. There should be an equal chance for the item in the 2da list .itm file. Each creature that has the same .itm file in inventory should check independently. This I know from helping Cam with the first big update of the IWD tweak pack (v3?). I'll check this out more thoroughly in this conversion, but it appears it's not quite acting that way.

Finished Dragon's Eye now.

1. Container (AR4003, x3350 y1932) crashes game if trap set off.

2. Albion's "call" does not bring everyone to him for battle. Summoners do not summon. No one attacks until visible.

3. Marchon of Waterdeep, and party, came out to attack because "Dead_Yuan" global was at 14, not 15.

4. Exit to AR4005 unreachable.

5. Chest (AR4005, x432 y199) crashes game is trap is set off.

6. The "odd little girl" may be invisible after Yxomomei appears, but party AI still want to attack her. Perhaps a "destroy self" command after disappearing is needed?

7. The neo-orog attack on return to Kuldahar was normal except for the attacking (and dying) townspersons. The dying Arundel appeared, but later than should be. I moved into the room, making it completely visible, before he appeared (could be tied to "fog of war").

Played through the Severed Hand.

1. The north ramp from AR5002 to AR5003 is unusable.

2. The Light Crossbow of Defense has "Old Jed's House" for a description.

3. Killing Kaylessa gave me a 4 point reputation decrease.

Other items of note.

4. Conlan does not buy or identify shields of any sort, though he should.

5. My Kuldahar problem with saves does not happen once the orog attack takes place normally.

Finished Upper Dorn's Deep with the following notes.

1. The enemies in AR6001 are 2-3 times proper number.

2. The transfer point from AR6001 to AR6002, and AR6002 to AR6003 are misplaced and unreachable.

3. MoveToArea to AR6003 crashes the game.

4. There is no transfer point from AR6011 to AR6004/6013.

5. The note trigger at the bottom of the AR6004 steps is for the AR1201 crates.

6. The lich Terikan appeared in the upper left and the lower right of AR6005 before I even revealed him in his proper place.

7. A coffin (AR6005, x675 y596) crashes the game if the trap is set off.

8. A coffin (AR6006, x503 y1058) crashes the game if the trap is set off.

9. After destroying Terikan, you return to AR6004 with Norlinor at the top, instead of going to AR6013 with Norlinor at the bottom. I MoveToArea'd instead and everything ran normally. This may be a bad trigger.

10. Ghasts and ghouls have Norlinor's animation (now clarified).

11. Barbarians get an extra 9hp on initial generation. Every level up is normal.

Wyrm's Tooth is now behind me.

1. The transfer point from AR7000 to AR7005 is unreachable.

2. The aquarium (AR7001) is extremely sluggish. The less frost salamanders, the quicker the game becomes. Probably tied to the animation.

3. The transfer point from AR7005 to AR7004 is unreachable.

4. Just inside AR7004 (Joril's cave) is a hole in the wall to Kontik's position. The transfer point is unreachable.

5. Another broken armor. This time I could not open a container without the game crashing if it was in my inventory.

Now I've finished Lower Dorn's Deep. Unlike Kulyok, I had no problems with completing both the Ginafae or Valestis quests (had to CreateItem, see below).

1. Fire salamander fire animation activates once, damaging and most of the time stunning themselves.

2. Marketh's thieves don't move until "fog of war" is removed from them.

3. After killing Fleezum, Flozem doesn't attack.

4. After dealing with Marketh, Kraken society mage does not appear by the exit down.

5. AR8009, 8010 and 8003 crash game while loading. These areas, and AR6003, have umber hulk animation in common. They are also the only areas I was unable to enter, even by MoveToArea.

6. Transfer point from AR8012 to AR8013 unreachable.

7. Global for freeing Guello not setting.

8. Transfer point from AR8012 to AR8013 unreachable, even after setting all six switches.

9. Around 20th level, the barbarian XP table seems to go squirrely, at one point requiring a million XP to get to the next level...

That said, can someone check if the umber hulk animation is the problem for 5. above?

Edit: It is the umber hulk. CreateCreature("umberhlk") caused the game to crash. Now, is it the animation or something else? (It's also used in AR9716 and AR9717.)

Archived