Kit Revisions (Fighters)

Demivrgvs

What about some radical solutions in terms of Rage/Enrage?

- Enrage at higher levels grants you either protection from weapons (nonmagical/+1/+2...) or MinHP without any conditions. You are just using it and BAM here it is.

- Enrage lasts shorter.

- Fatigue penalties are higher.

- There is large chance of going Berserk.

Actually there's no -1/+1 step, it's -2/+2 at level 1. Trading a single thac0 point for a single damage point is such a small difference that even at the lowest levels it would not have enough impact in terms of gameplay to be noticed imo.

I'm more sympathetic about having another upgrade at mid-levels, but the idea was to keep something for mid-high levels.

Yep. Currently class doesn't look as 'developed for BG1' to be honest.

True Fighter

Actually there's no -1/+1 step, it's -2/+2 at level 1. Trading a single thac0 point for a single damage point is such a small difference that even at the lowest levels it would not have enough impact in terms of gameplay to be noticed imo.

I'm more sympathetic about having another upgrade at mid-levels, but the idea was to keep something for mid-high levels.

Yep. Currently class doesn't look as 'developed for BG1' to be honest.
Not sure what you mean. Afaik the True Fighter is extremely good within BG1. Kreso and Kalindor may discuss this better than me, but the class was great to begin with for low levels (can use heavy armors and large shields, excels in both melee and ranged combat, etc.), and I added on top of that two stances, two combat maneuvers and free proficiency in any weapon.

I was thinking to make Disarm & Trip work at full potential (aka how they currently work at levels 10+) even within BG1 and use the save bonus/penalty to keep them balanced, but I do fear a full disable option would make True Fighters terribly powerful for the early game. The only thing I'm still considering is to move a small portion of its intended tactician role within BG1 (e.g. +1 thac0 to nearby allies at level 2 or 5) but overall the class is already very solid, easy to use and versatile.

True Fighter

Not sure what you mean. Afaik the True Fighter is extremely good within BG1.

Imo, he's great. It's no coincidence that final BG1 boss is a fighter, BG2 final boss is a mage and ToB final is a fighter-mage.

free proficiency in any weapon.

This is a great feat, very useful.

I was thinking to make Disarm & Trip work at full potential (aka how they currently work at levels 10+) even within BG1 and use the save bonus/penalty to keep them balanced, but I do fear a full disable option would make True Fighters terribly powerful for the early game. The only thing I'm still considering is to move a small portion of its intended tactician role within BG1 (e.g. +1 thac0 to nearby allies at level 2 or 5) but overall the class is already very solid, easy to use and versatile.

I don't think this is needed. Called Shots are borderline as they are, buffing this further is pointless.

I concur that the True Fighter is extremely useful. It may seem lackluster compared with the Berserker and Barbarian early on, but Called Hits are amazing once you have the THAC0 to employ them.

I would be in favor of moving some tactician bonus to BG1.

Agree on all.

Anyhow, I've been playing the revised berserker in BG1. I don't think any kit rivals him in sheer damage he inflicts (2-handed criticals for over 50 damage). Now with his controlability, he's indeed a top-notch fighter.

Maybe even too good, considering that he gains GM and full armor.

Since I'd like those feats to stay, I'd propose a nerf of different nature - hurt him more where he is bad already - even worse saves vs breath (shouldn't he always fail those anyway?).

True Fighter

I concur that the True Fighter is extremely useful. It may seem lackluster compared with the Berserker and Barbarian early on, but Called Hits are amazing once you have the THAC0 to employ them.

I would be in favor of moving some tactician bonus to BG1.

Agree on all.
Well, considering that we are still in a beta stage we could try giving the +1 to thac0 bonus to nearby allies at level 2 or 5 and see how it performs within BG1. My main issues with this are that I fear it can become OP within BG1 in case of multiple fighters, and that by moving this feat here I need to find something else again for mid-high levels.

Considering that SCS would give this feat to all AI controlled fighters (and that's why I like to keep it a passive feat for now) I do expect this to be a much bigger bonus to the AI rather than players (fighting a group of low level True Fighters can become a nighter if each of them get +x to thac0), but at the same time it can also be a noticeable boost for players because even with just 2 fighters you can use Offensive/Defensive Stances without penalties, and halve Called Hit's penalties.

Berserker

Anyhow, I've been playing the revised berserker in BG1. I don't think any kit rivals him in sheer damage he inflicts (2-handed criticals for over 50 damage). Now with his controlability, he's indeed a top-notch fighter.

Maybe even too good, considering that he gains GM and full armor.

Since I'd like those feats to stay, I'd propose a nerf of different nature - hurt him more where he is bad already - even worse saves vs breath (shouldn't he always fail those anyway?).

Mmm...perhaps it is just me, but compared to vanilla this is actually the only Fighter kit which seems heavily nerfed for BG1:

- Rage still offers +2 hit/dmg bonus, but the +2 bonus to AC has changed into a -2 penalty (thus he actually lost 4 points of AC), it grants less immunities (though the few he lost don't matter within BG1), lowers reflex saves by 2 and lasts half as much (5 rounds instead of 10)

- Reckless Offensive do offers him +4 dmg, but the drawback is huge for BG1 imo with -2 penalty to attack rolls, AC and saves vs. breath

If you think it is still too powerful I cannot imagine how OP vanilla's version is within BG1/BGEE. o.O On a side note, KR's version of Berserker Rage has also turned the kit into a "still good but not cheesy" pick for dual classing because it now disables spellcasting and breaks invisibility. Vanilla's Berserker was a ridiculously good pick for dual classing because with just few levels you had a fully maxed out Rage (it did not scale with levels) which could be used as a free Chaotic Commands on steroids while casting spells or backstabbing.

I do expect the Berserker to be the warrior with the highest damage output, don't you? Hurting his AC or reflex based saves even more is unnecessary imo. While using OS and Rage together he already suffers -4 penalty to both, which means a plate mail turns into a studded leather, and his decent saves vs. breath turn into pretty bad saves, even worse than warrior's worst saves (spell and wands). Full plate is a must for this kit because its' the only thing which prevents his AC from becoming utter trash, and while I do think this kit was supposed to be a Barbarian kit with no GM, it's one of the things which separate the two classes the most right now.

I'd wait for Kalindor or other players to try the current version out and see what they think. The question is: do the current version perform just really great, or is it borderline OP? I'd take action only if the answer is the latter, but even then I really don't see what we could do without touching GM (*). I can imagine to limit shield use (e.g. only small ones?) but that would not affect 2handers or dual wielders thus it doesn't matter much imo.

(*) On one hand I'd love to limit it to Specialization and grant Cleave instead (the latter is actually a prerequisite for the Frenzied Berserker in PnP) but otoh that would make Barbarian and Berserker look too similar again imo. Limit it to high mastery or mastery would have very little impact for BG1, and afaik kreso's concerns are about BG1, not BG2.

True Fighter

My main issues with this are that I fear it can become OP within BG1 in case of multiple fighters, and that by moving this feat here I need to find something else again for mid-high levels.

They don't stack, you disabled that somewhere in beta 9 or so...unfortunately aura doesn't work properly when it overlaps. If that could be fixed, it'd be great. Even EE didn't bother with those :( I wouldn't mind beefing up fighter groups within SCS, none of them are immune to disables or fireballs, so there are still options left.

Berserker

Mmm...perhaps it is just me, but compared to vanilla this is actually the only Fighter kit which seems heavily nerfed for BG1:

He is when compared to original.

His "drawbacks" aren't that big. Full plate is exellent protection due to modifiers which other armors lack. Breath saves hurt, but I'd still make them hurt more.

If you think it is still too powerful I cannot imagine how OP vanilla's version is within BG1/BGEE. o.O

The most notable difference for BG1 imo is Rage duration, now it usually expires before the battle is over if you start the battle using it.

free Chaotic Commands on steroids

That, and immunity to 9th level spell which otherwise offers no save and bypasses MR :D. Of course, that wasn't enough so they threw in immunity to level drain as well.

I do expect the Berserker to be the warrior with the highest damage output, don't you?

Yes, and I like it.

Barbarian kit with no GM, it's one of the things which separate the two classes the most right now.

I would definitely keep both GM and plate mails, otherwise you end up with true class being the only kit with plate beside paladins/clerics, and would likewise keep Cleave barbarian only.

do the current version perform just really great, or is it borderline OP?

Really great, I'd guess. Then again, I could easilly say the same for true class, Archer or Stalker as well....leave him as he is then. It's more of a "game thing" than a "kit issue". Fighters simply rule in BG1, this has never changed, similar to how a dedicated spellcaster can mow down hordes of ToB Fire Giants.

Speaking of borderline OP - Wizard Slayer in early/mid BG2. I was going to suggest you to tone him down a bit (Breaching Strike, more precisely, to work on first succesful hit, not the whole round) but he lost a lot of his mojo at later levels when mages start using some higher protections.

He does breach Liches. And Inner Focus doesn't protect him against HLA spells, but that's fine.

I'd take action only if the answer is the latter, but even then I really don't see what we could do without touching GM (*). I can imagine to limit shield use (e.g. only small ones?) but that would not affect 2handers or dual wielders thus it doesn't matter much imo.

I never used him with shields, I'm actually sure we all kind of agreed on "no shields at all"....but after few months I'm not against shields that much, keep it as it is - even if he equips tower shield, he'll suffer more THAC0 penalties than he can easilly afford with OS.

True Fighter

They don't stack, you disabled that somewhere in beta 9 or so...unfortunately aura doesn't work properly when it overlaps. If that could be fixed, it'd be great. Even EE didn't bother with those :( I wouldn't mind beefing up fighter groups within SCS, none of them are immune to disables or fireballs, so there are still options left.
I forgot we had to make them not stack. :(

Btw, I know the following is going to take away some time to code, and test but if we are up to look for some troubles I'd dare to suggest refining the whole thing as follow:

- Fighter's "aura" doesn't directly grant +1 thac0 anymore, but it casts a spell on nearby allies which makes them get an "aura" themselves

- the second aura affects nearby allies (thus including the Fighter who started it all) giving to them the +1 thaco

- multiple effects still not stack, but it can become better at higher levels and we may have the effect grants additional effects if the recipients are trained fighters (e.g. non-fighter gets +1 thac0, fighters get +2)

The end result is that a True Fighter would get nothing if there's no ally nearby, unlike the current implementation where he gets the bonuses even if he is alone. What do you think, is it worth trying out?

Berserker

...do the current version perform just really great, or is it borderline OP?
Really great, I'd guess. Then again, I could easilly say the same for true class, Archer or Stalker as well....leave him as he is then.
That's what I suspected. Furthermore, we are not really "average players" (not to mention as modders we have seen things and know stuff most players won't ever imagine), and thus what may seem to perform really good in mine or your hands might only be decent for other players.

Overall I'd say we have already managed to do a good job considering that the kit seems almost too good despite we agree that compared to vanilla it has been severely nerfed (for BG1, because at levels 10+ within BG2 it actually starts to get much better than vanilla imo).

It's more of a "game thing" than a "kit issue". Fighters simply rule in BG1, this has never changed, similar to how a dedicated spellcaster can mow down hordes of ToB Fire Giants.
I know, my plan was to mitigate this by improving spellcasters at low levels and non-spellcasters for high levels, rather than trying to nerf warriors at low levels (how?) and spellcasters at high levels (in a sense this might be almost doable, but not much imo).

I'm actually sure we all kind of agreed on "no shields at all"....but after few months I'm not against shields that much, keep it as it is - even if he equips tower shield, he'll suffer more THAC0 penalties than he can easilly afford with OS.
My point exactly.

Wizard Slayer

Speaking of borderline OP - Wizard Slayer in early/mid BG2. I was going to suggest you to tone him down a bit (Breaching Strike, more precisely, to work on first succesful hit, not the whole round) but he lost a lot of his mojo at later levels when mages start using some higher protections.

He does breach Liches. And Inner Focus doesn't protect him against HLA spells, but that's fine.

I'm not sure I understand...you thought it needed a small nerf for mid levels but then changed your mind because later on it doesn't seem borderline OP anymore?

For mid levels, I'd be curious to know what other players think. When it's just me and you, we can easily decide to take action when something is clearly broken, bugged, UP or OP, but when something seems only slighty too good, or not good enough I really need more feedback. I hope I' managed to explain my point. :D

For high levels, custom HLAs will play a really big role imo.

True Fighter

Btw, I know the following is going to take away some time to code, and test but if we are up to look for some troubles I'd dare to suggest refining the whole thing as follow:

- Fighter's "aura" doesn't directly grant +1 thac0 anymore, but it casts a spell on nearby allies which makes them get an "aura" themselves

- the second aura affects nearby allies (thus including the Fighter who started it all) giving to them the +1 thaco

- multiple effects still not stack, but it can become better at higher levels and we may have the effect grants additional effects if the recipients are trained fighters (e.g. non-fighter gets +1 thac0, fighters get +2)

Sounds nice. Even as it is, this aura has quite a potential when you think of it. In a full party with sufficent apr, damage ramps up quickly, especially useful for classes like thieves and clerics.

The end result is that a True Fighter would get nothing if there's no ally nearby, unlike the current implementation where he gets the bonuses even if he is alone. What do you think, is it worth trying out?

Sounds neat, and makes sense as well.

Berserker

Overall I'd say we have already managed to do a good job considering that the kit seems almost too good despite we agree that compared to vanilla it has been severely nerfed (for BG1, because at levels 10+ within BG2 it actually starts to get much better than vanilla imo).

He's fine. I still need to try out DF as it is now, but the kit is a real monster in close-up combat. I'd say that when and if he's severely outnumbered, he dies easilly...which does balance his overall preformance when compared to barbarian/true class.

He's exellent at 10+ levels. Those 9 seconds extra raging are very important, both for him and barbarian.

I know, my plan was to mitigate this by improving spellcasters at low levels and non-spellcasters for high levels, rather than trying to nerf warriors at low levels (how?)

I think it's fine. If somebody plays a fighter, one expects him to have an easier run through BG1 than a 30HP mage who will die to a poisoned arrow.

Game was always so, I don't think this mod should be changing that. Besides, with KR, one will probably want to refrain himself from dual-class insanity combos so he gains cool stuff later on.

and spellcasters at high levels (in a sense this might be almost doable, but not much imo).

Same as above. BG2/ToB is a mages' game. Fighters will always have flavour (for me, no flashy spell effects can compete with the sheer joy of bashing things close-up, I can't remember the last time I played a mage protagonist), Paladins/Rangers probably even more so.

Wizard Slayer

I'm not sure I understand...you thought it needed a small nerf for mid levels but then changed your mind because later on it doesn't seem borderline OP anymore?

Yes. Mages who don't use PFMW are usually dead in 9 seconds. (I tweaked this spell a bit, named it "protection from weapons" and gave it protection from normal type weapons as well, otherwise this spell drastically favours the player over AI since they don't use mundane weapons)

What in effect happens:

- 1st hit removes stoneskins

- mage's contingencied stoneskin kicks in

- contingencied stoneskin gets dispelled on next attack in the same round

- mage uses a defensive sequencer (usually stoneskin/fireshield red/blue or similar) if they have one

- next round (with sufficent apr, the same round) sequencer defences are removed

Thus, a mage will survive, given fast enough weapons, less than 2 rounds after a WS hits him unless he has some sort of invisibility, but that's easilly removed.

Hence my note that a WS(10)-thief is such a natural dual class. Breaching strike doesn't get any better, and one can probably live even without 20% extra MR and with dodging "only" 7th level spells. You already are limited with armors, and you'll want either ranged or short sword/dagger weapons. I didn't dual mine, but that's probably the most sensible thing to do.

Higher level mages employ more defences like Mantles, even Apsolute Immunity, which make Wizard Slayer (at least mine, he used daggers mostly) relatively limited in options - once again player has to use his spellcasters to destroy wizard's defenses.

He still has his uses (multiple!), but is no longer a one-hit wonderboy against wizards.

..... I hope I' managed to explain my point. :D

Yup.

For high levels, custom HLAs will play a really big role imo.

Can't wait for those... Refinements is good, but some of those HLAs have very little to do with KR kits.

P.S.

The new description for berserker is great! Very...."Korganish". Afaik, even in his end game story, he laughs as he puts his axe through a drow priestess in the Underdark. :D

Considering that SCS would give this feat to all AI controlled fighters (and that's why I like to keep it a passive feat for now) I do expect this to be a much bigger bonus to the AI rather than players (fighting a group of low level True Fighters can become a nighter if each of them get +x to thac0), but at the same time it can also be a noticeable boost for players because even with just 2 fighters you can use Offensive/Defensive Stances without penalties, and halve Called Hit's penalties.
FYI I'm all for making enemy fighters good opponents. All the better if they can utilize an ability better than the player.
Unfortunately, contingency at 25% max health triggers on approx 35% times before Berseker dies - it's that late to launch.
There should be a fix for that in ToBEx.

I think EE got this fixed. If you guys can somehow do the same fix for vanilla BG it would be grand.

Anyways, EE2 implemented a shield which grants all allies 5% MR bonus, and it seems to works as intended. Maybe there's something for all auras there, since it does work better than auras (more accurate).

Played with the latest Berserker a bit. I will give you some feedback:

The Positive:

-In the first half of BG1, the Berserker is hands down the most potent offensive threat of the melee combatants I have tested (except the Kensai with Ki Strike, which only lasts one round). The +2 THAC0 bonus from his rage combined with mastery in his chosen weapon makes him very accurate.

-You can be nearly as effective of a tank as a True Fighter if you choose not to Rage.

-The immunity to mind-affecting spells allows rage to be used as Inner Focus against disabling magic.

The Negative:

-Fatigue can be a downer if you are not judicious in when you use rage. If rage becomes fatigue when you are using offensive stance, you will not be hitting anything until one or the other wears off. I like the reduced duration of rage since it makes you plan when to use it.

-Rage can become fatigue at the most inopportune times when mages are present. Sometimes I have to postpone rage in order to make sure it is available if I am targeted by a mind-affecting spell.

-The AC penalties from rage and reckless offensive can be problematic when confronted with large groups of foes. As mentioned above, this helps differentiate the Berserker from the Barbarian. Berserker becomes more accurate when he gets mad while the Barbarian becomes faster and harder to hit.

In summary, I think the Berserker is very, very powerful. However, his amazingness is inconsistent due to the reduced rage duration. This inconsistency balances him to some degree. I do not think he needs any more profound nerfs. A minor nerf or two might not be bad, however (see below).

Suggestions:

-While he does not need any more profound nerfs, consider a minor nerf to further make him a less desirable choice for tanking while not enraged/stanced when compared to a True Fighter. Such a nerf could be inability to use large shields or inability to put points into Sword and Shield Style.

-Another possible minor nerf for flavor would be an inability to put the maximum number of proficiency points into weapon fighting styles due to his more undisciplined combat manner.

-I don't think he is very conceptually interesting right now: he does lots of damage. The other two fighter kits impose much larger differences on how the kit is played compared to the True Fighter. Right now the Berserker "controls" very similarly to a True Fighter but with less AC and more damage. Without frenzy, he doesn't really have his own fighting style. Is this just in my head?

I'm currently in Underdark with my berserker, level 16. EE2, full 6-person party with new NPCs introduced by EE (I'm reluctant to start BGT without KR beta 21).

First thing I'd like to point out that this kit makes much more sense in a total "revisions" enviroment. In "normal" game, altough modded by SCS/aTweaks, he's quite different. I did some minor tweaks for my game, mostly to nerf down some OP weapons (e.g. Flail of Ages allows a save vs slow effect, Foebane HP increase lasts for only 3 rounds) and modified some spells like Defensive Harmony/NPP to last 2 turns. In line with soon-to-be IRv4, I tweaked armors to provide a small measure of damage resistance.

Unfortunately, the sheer amount of EE introduced nonsense (both item and NPC-wise) is killing my desire to continue this run.

Anyways, toughts, in comparison to IR/SR/KR install:

- he deals less damage w/o IR

- Rage duration is really short..he does pay the toll quite heavilly for using it. In addition, most dangerous enemies are mages, and EE introduced tons of them...in one fight, I had 5 of them on screen, each under a Globe/Stoneskin/mirrors. Using Rage backfires very easilly. Unfortunately, his penalty to Breath saves is completely irrelevant without SR (I guess I could change relevant spells to allow for Breath instead of Spells save....meh)

- he comes to his own when faced against a small number of melee enemies or clerics. Or dragons, vampires etc. Anything that uses magery makes all his damage moot, so he's worse of than any fighter kit against mages. His Rage immunities usually don't last as long as the mage, or 5 of them, so he gets disabled quite fast after those precious 39 seconds are over.

- with Revised XP table, he somehow seems "stuck at nowhere" from levels 9 onward, he doesn't get much better than that for throughout SoA. His Diehard does work better in EE (it triggers within 1-2 seconds when his HP drop below treshold), but he doesn't get "hasted regeneration" benefit anymore. I found it only useful when combined with other regenerating items, otherwise quite weak. An oddity - his new regeneration works under Time Stop, unlike other regenerating items/spells.

- most notable upgrade I found to be is Power Attack, which is of nice use vs mages.

I agree with Kalindor for the most part of his BG1 impressions. At early levels, his might is unsurpassed now (OS+Rage kills in a single hit mostly, so there's little to fear what happens afterwards). In BG2, he hands-down looses to true class/barbarian/WS imo. He has his moments and uses, but I found him slightly UP for BG2. I'll kind of force myself through ToB/WK if for nothing else than for NPC stories and see how he preforms there.

His biggest advantage - having Grandmastery allows liberal use of OS, unlike Barbarian who, if Raged and in OS, can't hit a decently armored oponnent, making OS useless for him in early levels (personally, I'd remove either OS from Barbarian or remove THAC0 penalty from Barbarian Rage)

Suggestions

- I fully agree with Kalindor that if not Raged/OS he's in essence a vanilla fighter with some minor regenerating properties. While I can "dig" him w/o Frenzy, I'd introduce a "frenzy without berserk". A small chance on-hit to progressivly gain damage/loose AC or something similar, to simulate the fact that the longer he fights the more "crazy" he becomes (or removing damage/AC penatly from Rage, but having a higher chance for such on-hit effect while Raged/OS - this would make him more balanced for BG1, due to low apr count).

In conclusion, playable, situational kit, with several prevailing properites - he belongs to front line, yet cannot tank, he has immunites, but those are short to last, he has damage, but lacks disables/speed/range, he has regeneration, but takes massive damage.

I like him conceptually, but I don't think he's very powerful.

Overall, for fighter kits, this is how I'd rate them in overall usefulness for BG2:

1. True class

2. barbarian

3. Ws

4. berserker

For BG1, true class would remain no.1 (yeah, he's great), berseker and barbarian would share 2nd place, and WS would be no.4. That doesn't mean he's bad there, but he isn't as powerful (better yet, useful) as the others.

Or you could just skip the whole Berserk opcode thing and give him some heavy AC penalties instead. Yes, he is still reckless. Yes, you still have some kind of gameplay instead of autopilot. Yes, you can fight mages now.

Well, I'm talking about -2 penalty in BG1, -4 penalty in BG2 early, -6 penalty in BG2 late, -8 penalty in ToB (HLA).

Reckless stuff, right? Reminding you my implementation.

At level 1, Enrage grants +1 bonus to Attack Rolls and Movement Speed, +2 bonus to Damage Rolls and Saves vs. Spells and -2 penalty to AC for 1 Turn.

At level 7, Enrage grants +2 bonus to Attack Rolls and Movement Speed, +4 bonus to Damage Rolls and Saves vs. Spells and -4 penalty to AC for 1 Turn.

At level 13, Enrage grants +3 bonus to Attack Rolls and Movement Speed, +6 bonus to Damage Rolls and Saves vs. Spells and -6 penalty to AC for 1 Turn.

At level 19: Enrage grants +4 bonus to Attack Rolls and Movement Speed, +8 bonus to Damage Rolls and Saves vs. Spells and -8 penalty to AC for 1 Turn.

HLA: Enrage grants +5 bonus to Attack Rolls and Movement Speed, +10 bonus to Damage Rolls and Saves vs. Spells and -10 penalty to AC for 1 Turn.

After being Enraged, Berserker suffers from wind-up which results in -2 penalty to Attack Rolls, Armor Class and Movement Speed for 5 rounds. During that time, Berserker cannot re-Enrage.

Archived