Cannot hire Amber...

Guest Q X

Hi, I just installed the mod with no problem at all, and have gotten through the whole form quest for the prison guard. However, as soon as Amber joins the party, she walks up and leaves the party on the account of my main character being a prat even though we just met... Is this supposed to happen? Or did this ever happen to anyone else?

Yes, this has happened before. What other mods do you have installed?

Problems like this have been caused by another mod adding script blocks that are always (or nearly always) true to baldur.bcs (it's the main script of the game). When script blocks like that are placed above Amber's script blocks in baldur.bsc, the engine never executes Amber's script blocks and the necessary variables for Amber to function properly are not set. That why she behaves oddly.

Problems like this have been caused by another mod adding script blocks that are always (or nearly always) true to baldur.bcs (it's the main script of the game). When script blocks like that are placed above Amber's script blocks in baldur.bsc, the engine never executes Amber's script blocks and the necessary variables for Amber to function properly are not set. That why she behaves oddly.

Hi...

I am having the exact same problem with Amber walking away and refusing to talk to me at all.

I have the following mods installed:

BG2 Tweaks V7

BG2 TOBFixPack112

Keto

SaerilethV13

Solaufein

Yasraena

Amber V2.5

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

Please help me - I am dying to play this mod:)

Hi...

I am having the exact same problem with Amber walking away and refusing to talk to me at all.

BG2 Tweaks V7

BG2 TOBFixPack112

Keto

SaerilethV13

Solaufein

Yasraena

Amber V2.5

None of those mods shouldn't cause any trouble.

Can you send me a copy of a file called baldur.bcs to amber@welho.net? In you main bg2 directory look for a folder called 'override'. The baldur.bcs is in there.

Hi...

BG2 Tweaks V7

BG2 TOBFixPack112

Keto

SaerilethV13

Solaufein

Yasraena

Amber V2.5

None of those mods shouldn't cause any trouble.

Can you send me a copy of a file called baldur.bcs to amber@welho.net? In you main bg2 directory look for a folder called 'override'. The baldur.bcs is in there.

Thanks for your quick reply

Just sent the email :rolleyes:

Either it's taking longer than normal to get here or it got lost in the way. My operator's spam filter isn't terrible efficient, so I don't think it was that. Please try to re send, and be sure you send the mail to the amber@welho.net , not .com

Either it's taking longer than normal to get here or it got lost in the way. My operator's spam filter isn't terrible efficient, so I don't think it was that. Please try to re send, and be sure you send the mail to the amber@welho.net , not .com

Just sent it again. And to .net both times.

The baldur.bcs is fine, just like it should with your selection of mods. Which is actually bad since I can't pinpoint the reason for her behaviour. Not quickly at least.

Can you get me variables

"M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL"

"M#AmberLike","Locals"

Make sure you have Amber selected for the Locals variable, if you use the CLUAconsole to get variables. In Shadowkeeper Locals can be found under "Affects"-tab.

Oh, and the obvious of course! What's you party's reputation?

Party rep is 13.

Regarding variables - this is what I get with shadowkeeper:

NAME: par. 1 par. 2 FLAGS TARGET

GH_MELEEMISSILETOGGLE 0 0 0x00000009 0x0000

M#AMBERLIKE 1 0 0x00000009 0x0000

M#DIALOGUESET 1 0 0x00000009 0x0000

M#AMBERLIKE 1

How on earth that's 1?! :rolleyes: I shouldn't ever be 1.

Did she talk to your PC at all?

Or did she join and the immediately leave?

If you take an earlier save, does the same thing happen again?

Only explanation I can think of how M#AmberLike variable could be 1 is that her script didn't set it before she initiated the joining dialogue and during that dialogue your PC was so nice to her that she liked him/her better. That means the variable was incremented by one when it still was zero. It should be from 100 to 109 in the beginning of the game.

If the above is the reason, re-loading an earlier save could help, because it's just a script hiccup. If it doesn't, you can also try to avoid the two nice options in the joining dialogue "Amber, calm down, please. I'm not here to exploit you and I've had enough dealings with demons that I know you're not one of their kind." and "No need to compensate, but if you are willing, you could come with me. I could protect you from the city guard from now on.". Don worry, you get plenty of opportunities to make a good impression to her later! That way you don't get an odd value for the variable and the script can set it right after she joins you.

I hope this helps. So far this problem has always been caused by the baldur.bcs being jammed by some other mod (old version of SoS IIRC).

I still need to know the M#AmberMatch GLOBAL variable. In Shadowkeeper the global variables are under the 'Global Variables'-tab. It's the next one from 'Affects'-tab. Because if that's not set properly, nothing works, including the proper setting of the M#AmberLike.

M#AMBERLIKE 1

How on earth that's 1?! :rolleyes: I shouldn't ever be 1.

Did she talk to your PC at all?

Or did she join and the immediately leave?

If you take an earlier save, does the same thing happen again?

Only explanation I can think of how M#AmberLike variable could be 1 is that her script didn't set it before she initiated the joining dialogue and during that dialogue your PC was so nice to her that she liked him/her better. That means the variable was incremented by one when it still was zero. It should be from 100 to 109 in the beginning of the game.

If the above is the reason, re-loading an earlier save could help, because it's just a script hiccup. If it doesn't, you can also try to avoid the two nice options in the joining dialogue "Amber, calm down, please. I'm not here to exploit you and I've had enough dealings with demons that I know you're not one of their kind." and "No need to compensate, but if you are willing, you could come with me. I could protect you from the city guard from now on.". Don worry, you get plenty of opportunities to make a good impression to her later! That way you don't get an odd value for the variable and the script can set it right after she joins you.

I hope this helps. So far this problem has always been caused by the baldur.bcs being jammed by some other mod (old version of SoS IIRC).

I still need to know the M#AmberMatch GLOBAL variable. In Shadowkeeper the global variables are under the 'Global Variables'-tab. It's the next one from 'Affects'-tab. Because if that's not set properly, nothing works, including the proper setting of the M#AmberLike.

I have tried two different reloads and each time I get the same result: Amber walks out from her cell and initiates dialogue. She joins the party and after a short while (0-5 minutes of playing time) she accuses me of being a prat and leaves.

I HAVE been using the "sweet choices" but will try a different approach asap.

BTW if I try to talk to her using the "talk icon" she either walks (the whole prat-thing) or I'm not able to talk to her. No dialogue options.

About the variable....this may strike you as odd....it isn't there! Double checked shadowkeeper and under the tab "Global Variables" I only see the following variables (starting with M#):

M#AMBERJOINED

M#AMBERLVL

M#AMBERQUESTTIME

M#AMBERRESQUE

M#BOYGIRL

M#CELLDOR

M#SETMAXREMOVETIMER

Is this any help to locate the problem??

Best Regards,

Lars

Yes. M#AmberMatch is not set, which is really odd since it's absolutely the first thing in your baldur.bcs, which as I might have mentioned is the main script of the game. So first time it's checked (which should be all the time) after installing Amber this variable will be set. It's even quite foolproof.

IF
Global("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL",0)
Gender(Player1,MALE)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,CHR)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,INT)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL",1)
END

IF
OR(3)
	!Gender(Player1,MALE)
	!CheckStatGT(Player1,11,CHR)
	!CheckStatGT(Player1,11,INT)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL",2)
END

Is everything else in game working like it should? Because if this script is not running (which is the only reason I can think of why it should not set that variable) there's a great deal of original game stuff (romances, NPCs appearing to give quests) that wont work.

You don't happen to have multiple installs of the game? If you do you are sure you send me the right baldur.bcs?

I'm going to go and ask from my fellow gibberlings if there can be any situations in the game where the baldur.bcs does not run.

Yes. M#AmberMatch is not set, which is really odd since it's absolutely the first thing in your baldur.bcs, which as I might have mentioned is the main script of the game. So first time it's checked (which should be all the time) after installing Amber this variable will be set. It's even quite foolproof.

IF
Gender(Player1,MALE)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,CHR)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,INT)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL",1)
END

IF
OR(3)
	!Gender(Player1,MALE)
	!CheckStatGT(Player1,11,CHR)
	!CheckStatGT(Player1,11,INT)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL",2)
END

Is everything else in game working like it should? Because if this script is not running (which is the only reason I can think of why it should not set that variable) there's a great deal of original game stuff (romances, NPCs appearing to give quests) that wont work.

You don't happen to have multiple installs of the game? If you do you are sure you send me the right baldur.bcs?

I'm going to go and ask from my fellow gibberlings if there can be any situations in the game where the baldur.bcs does not run.

Yes, Everything is working properly. No dialogue/quest errors or anything else has occured in the game so far. All the quests are there - dunno about the original romances though as I am using my PC and 5 npc's from various mods. But I am able to romance Yasraena and Saerileth as well.

And no - no multiple installs, only one.

Archived