Icewind Dale was never intended to have joinable NPCs, but the BG2 engine allows for them. I'm imagining that reputation and happiness is going to have some bearing on NPCs. If nothing happens in game to raise or lower reputation, the PC would start with a rep between 8 and 12, based on alignment, and it would stay there the whole game. Joinable NPCs who had reputation sounds would make them the entire time, without some kind of happy patch in place.

So, my question is this. *Is* there anything in the conversion that includes changes in reputation?

I suppose that donating to a temple would raise reputation, just like BG2.

What happens if you slay innocents? Does that lower it?

If you include good-aligned joinable NPCs and then go on a killing spree, will they quit over reputation?

I did these tests with IWD NPCs: after we slaughtered half of Easthaven(~1.5 minutes) my party members left one by one, giving me the message I programmed. I used HappinessLT and value=-290, like in BG2.

Didn't try the temple, though.

(Oh, and IWD NPC won't have happy/unhappy sounds, because they didn't in IWD. Don't know if it's bad or good, but that's how it is).

Probably isn't as important to have them making "Happy NPC" sounds. But they do need happiness breaks for low rep. I suppose it's remotely possible that evil PCs would need happiness breaks for high reps, but you'd have to donate a lot of money to a temple for that.

The thing with IWD plot, you'll only have low rep if you are an idiot(and your game will be over in ten minutes or so). From what I recall(and I made quite a few IWD+HoW+TotL playthroughs), about the only low rep case is slaughter of innocents - and the innocents have a perfect system of shouts. That is - you kill an innocent in Kuldahar home->every Kuldahar citizen would immediately turn against you, including Arundel(Hrothgar in Easthaven), and you'll be unable to continue your game. As for dungeon/Severed Hand/other battle areas, you can practically kill everything that moves without reputation loss: priests in Dragon Eye are actually reptiles, elves in Severed Hand would beg you to kill them, etc.

There are few places where rep is changed in the vanilla game, and they're all down. Once this mod is finished, perhaps a tweak can be made to add rep. It'll have to be at points after leaving Easthaven, however...

Archived