Kit Revisions (Rangers)

No worries, obviously I agree with you. :) Even if I don't use KR, i think this makes sense and would be a good thing to add to KR.

There is a component in some mod... TobEx or The Bigg's Tweaks, called "everyone can backstab at 2x, thieves for more." This would be a nod in that direction, but just for rangers, which I think makes a ton of sense - after all they have stealth and tactically, one of the main benefits of being stealthy is surprise attacks.

(I thought I fixed it in my mod, I'll take another look at it to make sure.)

Sorry if this has been posted already, couldn't find anything with the search function and don't feel like sifting through 18 pages right now.

When installing on the enhanced editions only the true class ranger gets d8 hit dice, the rest keep the d10. Looking at HPCLASS.2DA it seems every kit has been assigned its own "hp class", as opposed to the original game where it was set by the base class. I assume they did this purely to accommodate the dwarven defender and dragon disciple kits (and mod kits too I guess?).

For now I've just gone and changed the values for the ranger kits manually myself (no coder otherwise I'd have added to the .tpa file myself).

On that note, R/C multi will most likely need to have its hp table changed too yeah?

When installing on the enhanced editions only the true class ranger gets d8 hit dice, the rest keep the d10. Looking at HPCLASS.2DA it seems every kit has been assigned its own "hp class", as opposed to the original game where it was set by the base class. I assume they did this purely to accommodate the dwarven defender and dragon disciple kits (and mod kits too I guess?).

Which version of ee are you running ?

On BG2EE v1, 3.2064 linux version, i get the following hpclass.2da

2DA                  V1.0
HPWAR
                    TABLE      
FIGHTER             HPWAR      
BERSERKER           HPWAR      
WIZARD_SLAYER       HPWAR      
KENSAI              HPWAR      
DWARVEN_DEFENDER    HPBARB     
RANGER              HPWAR      
ARCHER              HPWAR      
STALKER             HPWAR      
BEAST_MASTER        HPWAR      
PALADIN             HPWAR      
CAVALIER            HPWAR      
INQUISITOR          HPWAR      
UNDEAD_HUNTER       HPWAR      
BLACKGUARD          HPWAR      
CLERIC              HPPRS      
TALOS               HPPRS      
HELM                HPPRS      
LATHANDER           HPPRS      
DRUID               HPPRS      
TOTEMIC_DRUID       HPPRS      
SHAPESHIFTER        HPPRS      
BEAST_FRIEND        HPPRS      
MAGE                HPWIZ      
ABJURER             HPWIZ      
CONJURER            HPWIZ      
DIVINER             HPWIZ      
ENCHANTER           HPWIZ      
ILLUSIONIST         HPWIZ      
INVOKER             HPWIZ      
NECROMANCER         HPWIZ      
TRANSMUTER          HPWIZ      
WILDMAGE            HPWIZ      
THIEF               HPROG      
ASSASIN             HPROG      
BOUNTY_HUNTER       HPROG      
SWASHBUCKLER        HPROG      
SHADOWDANCER        HPROG      
BARD                HPROG      
BLADE               HPROG      
JESTER              HPROG      
SKALD               HPROG      
SORCERER            HPWIZ      
DRAGON_DISCIPLE     HPDD       
MONK                HPMONK     
DARK_MOON           HPMONK     
SUN_SOUL            HPMONK     
BARBARIAN           HPBARB     
FIGHTER_MAGE        HPFM       
FIGHTER_CLERIC      HPFC       
FIGHTER_THIEF       HPFT       
FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF  HPFMT      
MAGE_THIEF          HPMT       
CLERIC_MAGE         HPCM       
CLERIC_THIEF        HPCT       
FIGHTER_DRUID       HPFC       
FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC HPFM       
CLERIC_RANGER       HPFC       

It indeed contains all the kits but if i understand correctly, they point to the same table as the base class. I may be wrong though.

Ah, i looked the KR code and i get it now. It modifies RANGER to use HPRNG table but the kits are not modified and use HPWAR. You are right, please disregard my post.

Edited by khelban12

Ah, i looked the KR code and i get it now. It modifies RANGER to use HPRNG table but the kits are not modified and use HPWAR. You are right, please disregard my post.

Thanks, I'll fix this asap. Cannot wait to go back to KR.

Ranger Backstab

I think you should consider giving the TrueClass Ranger the ability to backstab at x2 around level 5 - which is where thieves hit x3. It could possibly be set at a higher level, but I would like to be able to actually use it in BG1.

I like the current implementation of Rangers using light and medium armor very much, but would love to see them get a bit more out of their high stealth scores. Even with this change, the stalker would still be the prime backstabber among rangers - with the ability to backstab from level one and the possibility of advancing beyond x2. As such, I don't think giving a x2 modifier to TrueClass Ranger would invalidate the Stalker at all, which is of course an obvious concern.

I once dared to suggest adding a spell to temporary give x2 backstab (I don't remember it now but I think it was from Spell Compendium) and it seemed like most players were against it. Overall I'm really torn on the whole idea, on one side I like it because it makes ranger's stealth a bit more interesting, otoh it kinda spoils the Stalker's main feat and to a lesser extent Thief too.

Ranger Backstab

Hey Demi..

Though there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for the idea of letting Trueclass Rangers get x2 Backstab at e.g. level 5, I still want to make another case for at least a partial implementation for it.

To reiterate, I think the main benefit will be to really let the Ranger use his Stealth score for something, and I don't think a delayed x2 multiplier will seriously infringe on either thieves or Stalkers (who get higher multiplier, get camouflage etc.).

Since there is no strong support (nor opposition, really) would you perhaps consider to add is an ini. option? I have no idea how much work this entails though, so if it would take a lot of your time, then I certainly understand if you don't do it.

I myself have no idea how to mod it in, otherwise I would just make that adjustment myself.

So, in short, a plea for you to take on (a little?) more additional work :p

(As an aside, if it is fairly simple and someone feel generous, I would really appreciate some hints on how to do it :) )

If we talk about the non EE games...

Ranger Backstab
(As an aside, if it is fairly simple and someone feel generous, I would really appreciate some hints on how to do it :) )

You open the normal rangers skill table, normally it's the clabrn1.2da with Near Infinity if it's not in the override folder, in which case you can open it with Notepad too, you go to an empty 5th level slot and you add in AP_SPCL332 . Replacing the **** .
Say like:

2DA V1.0
            1           2           3           4           5          6...
ABILITY1    GA_SPCL311  ****        GA_SPCL311  ****        GA_SPCL311 ...
ABILITY2    ****        ****        ****        ****        ****       ...
ABILITY3    ****        ****        ****        ****        AP_SPCL332 ...

... mean that the table continues. :p

Amazing! Thank you Jarno! :D

Edit: we do talk about the EE though, so..?

Edit2: It seems to be the same for the EE though? I found the file, and I assume I just pick an empty Abilities row? There is also a clabrn5 though.. Do I also need to edit that one?

Edit3: Tried adding it but did not seem to work in-game.

Edited by janoha

Well it works in EE too, or you could also make use of the backstab.2da table instead.

Presuming here a little, but you just add the kit identifier, which is to great surprise "RANGER" and then just add the bonuses:

2DA           V1.0
              0             1             2             3             4             5             6             7 ....
THIEF         1             2             2             2             2             3             3             3 ...
SHADOWDANCER  1             1             1             1             1             1             1             1 ...
ASSASIN       1             2             2             2             2             3             3             3 ...
BOUNTY_HUNTER 1             2             2             2             2             3             3             3 ...
STALKER       1             2             2             2             2             2             2             2 ...
RANGER        1             1             1             1             1             2 ....

Not that I am sure.

If we talk about the non EE games...

Ranger Backstab

You open the normal rangers skill table, normally it's the clabrn1.2da with Near Infinity if it's not in the override folder, in which case you can open it with Notepad too, you go to an empty 5th level slot and you add in AP_SPCL332

That's exactly what my mod does... except my mod does it for every ranger kit in kitlist.2da, and also patches Stalkers to be 1+ multiplier better than other rangers.