Spellslingers vs. non-spellslingers

Non-spellcasters just don't seem to cut it in terms of challenge compared to casters. I am sure this is no surprise to anyone.

The fight with Gromnir is a perfect example. He is always the first to die, despite his Bhaalspawn status, while his two wizard lackeys linger on for far longer and do a lot more damage than he does. It always leaves me disappointed!

Then I had an epiphany...what if some usually "self-targeted" spells could be cast on others....i am thinking Stoneskin, Prot.M Weapons etc The new spell would have to be +1 level higher for balance, but could really add some flavour and an unexpected challenge if only added to certain fights. Of course, not many mages are going to selflessly protect their comrades before themselves anyway!

Ah I can just see it now....an ImprovedInvisible, non-detectable, PfMW, spell immune and enraged Gromnir.... :D (yes i am a little bit of a masochist)

p.s. I am loving SCSII! I usually play with Tactics but this is much more customiseable, no more Ilithids made of granite!! :(

I agree it is annoying to the overall feeling that fighters goes down first. How about giving potions of stoneskin to ie Gromnir? I do however not like the idea of practically turning every fighter boss into some kind of F/M.

Guest Guest

Sounds more like a job for some other mod to me. I'm happy with the way spellcasters are presented in BG2 and have no problem with PFMW. SCSii takes the enemies in the original game and tries to make them use their existing abilities in the most effective way possible and thats just the way i like it.

I agree it is annoying to the overall feeling that fighters goes down first. How about giving potions of stoneskin to ie Gromnir? I do however not like the idea of practically turning every fighter boss into some kind of F/M.

Yeah ok true I get your point, even just one or two bosses with one key spell like stoneskin would make a difference though: Breach > Kill instead of Kill :(

@Jarno: Yeah! whatever mage invented PfMW is like the Bill Gates of the freakin Realms...sitting in his astral tower somewhere counting his gold coins!!

Well, the fact that spellcasters increase exponentially is to lower the advantage of Fighters at earlier levels. It is highly unlikely that your Mage will survive to become a very high level without any Fighters in their party. Remember that fighters are simply less effective, not totally ineffective, which is your Low-Level Mage for an awful lot of the time.

Icen

Well, the fact that spellcasters increase exponentially is to lower the advantage of Fighters at earlier levels. It is highly unlikely that your Mage will survive to become a very high level without any Fighters in their party. Remember that fighters are simply less effective, not totally ineffective, which is your Low-Level Mage for an awful lot of the time.
Until you install the iispellsystemadjustments mod, and couple him with 5 of his wizardy friends. :(

Unless you start tampering with things, at level 1, it is possible to survive as a solo Mage, but if so much as ONE creature makes their save vs Sleep, you are completely and utterly screwed.

Icen

Until you install the iispellsystemadjustments mod, and couple him with 5 of his wizardy friends. :(

iispellsytemadjustment IS a little bit overpowered hey, i.e. you cast 6 magic missiles an 1 timestop, and that gives you back 7 timestops. Game engine limitation I guess...

ImprovedInvisible, non-detectable,
They are the same thing!
No they are not, Non-detection makes II even more effective as it cannot be removed with Divination spells.

And if we remove the PfMW from the game, we have totally balanced game, but what ever...
Sounds more like a job for some other mod to me.
Don't look at me. :(

Unless you start tampering with things, at level 1, it is possible to survive as a solo Mage, but if so much as ONE creature makes their save vs Sleep, you are completely and utterly screwed.
Yeah, I suppose familiars should make up for it this if properly implemented.

Well, actually, if you're dispelling the enemy mage protections as soon as they appear, they can die in a heartbeat. (And it's usually recommended, since mages are much more dangerous than fighters).

Remember that a level 30 mage has about 80 hp.

A level 30 fighter has about 160-180 hp.

Your fighter just needs one round to obliterate the mage to dust.

They function in tandem, Mages allow the fighter to kill other mages.

It's as simple as that.

If you're playing with SCS, your mages will usually only be debuffing enemy mage protections so that your group can hit them.

They'll only be damaging your ennemies if there's no protection to dispell.

The first spell I learn is timestop (Obviously)

The second spell I learn is spellstrike. The most usefull spell ever in SCSII.

Archived