SoA intro: is the assassin disintegrated completely

lynx

The GemRB team is not sure whether we have a bug to fix or not. When I start SoA without ToB (but with the official patch, the G3 fixpack and some other mods) installed, the assassin from the intro sequence is wiped with all his possessions, while some using ToB have reported that his bow, sword and arrows stay behind.

A brief look at the patch changelogs hasn't shown any changes in this area.

Did disintegrate always destroy items before ToB? The spells description includes "There is also a good chance that this will destroy some if not all of the items that the creature is carrying.", but that can refer to indestructible items.

Any insights or test data would be helpful.

By default, in both SoA and ToB, he and all his items get blown to dust.

I don't remember the exact mechanics; it's either all but magical items, or every item that isn't flagged indestructible/unsellable. I also believe that the creature WILL drop the gold appropriate to their gold stat (although, for GemRB, you might want to consider "fixing" that).

There's some mod or something where his items stick around, from what I've heard in the fixpack forums over the years, but I'm not sure which one or why anyone would do that -- it's also possible that this is related to difficulty or the gore setting; I rarely lower difficulty and never disable gore, so they could affect the disintegrate behavior.

There's some mod or something where his items stick around, from what I've heard in the fixpack forums over the years, but I'm not sure which one or why anyone would do that -
Meaning this mod... there is v2 too. It's a fix for the "gore on" option, it seams...

If the spell's description says: it destroys items, then the intention was to destroy items.

I think the gore option is not a difficulty based option but a feature to please the esbr and similar groups.

I think the best would be if we add a new option or tie this to difficulty.

The only reason I put difficulty in there was because it disabled permanent death for PCs or something (which may indeed break disintegrate, but not for NPCs).

I don't really see why GemRB needs a gore setting at all (and it's not like disintegration is particularly gory).

I think the gore option is not a difficulty based option but a feature to please the esbr and similar groups.
No it's not, there is a box for it in the BGConfig.exe, in baldur.ini, and in the options->gameplay menu... that all adjust the same settings...

Archived