Interjections

Kivan has a few interjections with Salvanus, I'll let you to discover them for yourself :) But as he hardly stands to endanger a girl (a-la Eldoth, who uses Skie or any other "let's save the lady from a dire fate!"), Kivan won't be chidding the man off the bat.

I am glad that you liked the drunken elves talks, they were among my favorites as well. I hope that wound heals :O

I was thinking about Kivan being a romance in BG1, but there was just no good way to implement it, so in the end it remained a tender friendship and gave way to the more developped romances. Before we had any more romances, there was an easter egg where you could bed Kivan, and have a conflict between him and Coran. Those talks were cut after we'd put in the proper romances.

I hope you are enjoying Xan's romantic sequence. He is a sweetheart :)

In truth, Kivan's interject at Aerie-Ogre upsets me. He snaps at me right when I click her. I click on Aerie she says: "Sword, please!" and Kivan says "What are you waiting for?! Give her the sword!" It's a bit jump-the-gun. I ctrl-y, him anyway at first since I can't use quicker Gaelen(?) with Kivan either, since the "strong and silent elf" comments so much.

Oh, his opening line "I feel you lose...er, something by denying faith Valygar." comment is worded _exactly_ the same as a later talk Jaheria has with Valygar. It occurs to me that having both Corthala Rom. et Kivan is the problem.

Also, and this is pure personal opinon I hesitate to mention. But Kivan's over-the-top details of how they raped his wife talk makes his past so terrible that really only the PC can top it and only then after torture and lost soul. Worse than any other NPC save perhaps poor Aerie. Kivan's had a terrible thing happen to him. I comprehend. Reading the rape-long line after endless long line- is seems a lot less like important character development than "OMG! He's suffered SO MUCH! His pain is beautiful!" What I liked about Kivan in BG1 is that he makes mistakes (Silke) and... eh, was that it? Does he make bad judgment calls at all? Save the big "bring my wife back from paradise" in Elf City?

Its your mod, I know. You will not be changing, I also know. The writing is not bad. I do feel sorry for him. I pity his wife. But with all regards, I do not think this is Kivan. Thank you for all your hard work, the first time, even the second, I liked Kivan in my party. The more I play the more I think and this is my conclusion. If this has offended, I apologize. I wish you well and again thank you for my two very good games.

And since you mentioned him.. I miss Xan. And after BG1-NPC that missing is longing. *sigh* Ah, Xan.

Well, no, you don't offend me, by saying that this is not Kivan, whatever Kivan is.

But, I am changing the mod a lot. In fact I am pretty much re-writing it, from what it was....

One of the things I am doing is removing too many interjections syndrom and putting them on Random generator - they will still be there, but they won't show up every time, but only 50 or even 30% of the time. I will also be asking the beta testers when the current alpha is ready to point to me the bad interjections that are better cut.

The old BG1 sequence also is going into the player-initiated cycle, so you don't have to play through it all over again and read Deheriana's stuff. Why I opted out for describing the murder/rape etc? I did not want to trivialize evil and make it easily forgivable.

Kivan makes mistakes in BG2. He would want to slaughter Marduf on sight, Viconia on sight, almost slap Aerie for pittying Solaufein, and his stuff with Tazok's heart is all quite wrong. I am more than open to the suggestions of where he could go wrong. I also corrected a number of banters where Kivan had the 'last line' and deleted the banters that were repeats of other things.

And yes, Xan is a great character, and will make a wonderful addition to BG2.

The old BG1 sequence also is going into the player-initiated cycle, so you don't have to play through it all over again and read Deheriana's stuff. Why I opted out for describing the murder/rape etc? I did not want to trivialize evil and make it easily forgivable.

Low opinion of persons in general? I see. I am of the opinion that plot-point rape is already trivial. And lovingly swiping each last drop of blood will not make it more unforgivable than a few simple statements. Either the reader will care or not care hysterical writing proves nothing.

Low opinion of persons in general? I see.

Low opinions of whom? Please, I don't hold a low opinion about anyone, give me at least that much benefit of a doubt.

And lovingly swiping each last drop of blood will not make it more unforgivable than a few simple statements

I am copycating Martin.

Seriously though, I am sorry that it got you upset, but in the dialogue, you can tell Kivan 'please, do not continue' pretty much after the very first line. Plus, the whole cycle went into the "player-initiated" cache. I think it is a fair compromise and let the player who don't want to got through the hysteria with Kivan off the hook, allowing him or her to see more balanced dialogues.

The same is true for Tazok's heart cycle. The player has full control and can prevent Kivan from having angsty, hard dialogues.

You were talking about Kivan being too perfect. Well, it's my way of making him imperfect, putting him off-balance, and off his high horse.

I am trying, I am really trying to make it a vivid, and a relatively flexible relationship. I am sorry it's not working for you, or cuts to the quick, or feels like fumbling of some stupid girl, but if I wanted to make a shiny happy character, I would go with Coran or a new NPC.

Actually, I've recently read another rape description (and, by the way, if the guy will ever agree to become my co-author, I'll be head over heels with mad, giggly happiness) which had a total, complete blank from the point where he took off her skirt to the point where others see him coming down the stairs, zipping his trousers.

THAT rape was one of the scariest I have ever read, and it showed absolutely nothing. It was all about psychology, about the feelings of the victim, about the details - perfectly PG-13 details, but, compared to this, Domi's Kivan-Deheriana-Tazok scene is suited for 6-year olds.

I was one of Kivan's (BG1 NPC) alpha testers and proofreaders, and even I had to open .d files yesterday again to check if there was a rape, and I after re-reading I still didn't understand that there was one. Something about bloodied mass on the ground, and that was all. (Was she indeed raped, by the way? I thought only tortured, no?)

But yeah, I would rather prefer that Domi used her own style, instead of Martin's, since I've read both Domi and Martin, and I think she is (or will become) better.

And, Louisa, your comments are really helpful to some newbie modders out there (me) so don't disappear for good, okay?

Well, yes, I am not trying to turn BG1 into the Feats for Crows, but I do think that there is a very high probability that Deheriana was raped. I sort of thought that it comes as a part of the bandits' lifestyle along with pillage.

But yeah, I would rather prefer that Domi used her own style, instead of Martin's, since I've read both Domi and Martin, and I think she is (or will become) better.

Not a chance. Martin is god... or devil. Either way incomparable and inapproachable. :)

I always though of Salvatore as a good writer, and after reading the dark elf trilogy, the icewind dale trilogy (nothing like the game mind you), and the legacy of the drow trilogy, I've thought of Drizzt as better character than anyone from any game I've ever played (including Zeratul from starcraft).

I did think it odd that Drizzt never went any further with Catti-brie during that time they were sailing the sword coast. Six years IS a long time...

Archived