Removing the starting movies

Guest Stephen

Guest Stephen

I don't know if this classifies as a "mod", but one could argue that anything that modifies the game in any way is a mod. So sorry if this is the wrong place. I want to make it so that Baldur's Gate (or really any other IE game) starts without playing the movies. Like when I join a game with GameSpy Lite, it immediately joins without playing anything. I was going to create a new biff with empty movies, but that would overwrite them and be messy. Is there a clean way? Also, is there some way to load a save from a shortcut? Kind of like GameSpy Lite?

Thanks,

Stephen

In the baldur.ini file, or a similar file for other IE games (ie torment.ini for Planescape Torment), there is a [Movies] section, simply replace the 1 with 0 for the movies you want to disable.

Guest Stephen

No, that doesn't work. That is just whether they are available in the movies menu. I tried it too.

Thanks for trying though.

I think the playing of the movies at the start of the game is hard coded.

I doubt you would need to make a new biff with empty movies. Just make empty movies and put them in the override directory. That should do what you want.

Guest Stephen

That doesn't support BG1, which is the game I'm mainly concerned about right now. In the end, I backed up MovieCD1, removed the starting movies from it, readded them with "2" after their names, and modified "MOVIDESC.2DA" so that they still appear in the movies menu. I know it's not clean, but I wasn't planning on distributing it. The only problem is when I first get into the game it doesn't play the music on the main screen, anyone know why? I don't really care, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks,

Stephen

Archived