Need help with porting a DLTCP/Override mod to WEIDU

Guest Glabro

Guest Glabro

After a stroke of genius or alternatively insanity, I ended up creating a modification of all the existing kits in the game to what I consider more stylish / appropriate as well as all the HLAs in the spirit of Avenger's Rogue Rebalancing (RR content is used with permission).

The kit revamps contain, among others, a berserker kit for rangers instead of Beastmaster(especially for Minsc), battlerager kit for fighters (slight edit of the former berserker) and so on. The HLA system is changed even more: the abilities are now mainly passive boosts to the characters' power (often replicating former activated abilities as a % chance on-hit property) , as I found the tedium of activating 1-round abilities annoying, and many of the powers were not worth it at all.

The problem is that it's all made with DLTCP in my override and I have no idea how to make it WEIDU-compatible (which I assume is mandatory?), and frankly, after just completing BG2 and being done with it for the next five years, am not too inclined to start learning and converting by myself.

Hence I ask if there's anyone who'd like to help me with the project, or to "team up" with me to bring the mod available to the public (well, I guess the override version could be brought out, but then it'd be without appropriate dialog.tlk text....). This post is also for gauging interest; if there's none, then I can safely leave the mod to rest, unless I decide to replay the game in the future (or use it with other BG2-engine games like IWD-in-BG2)

WEIDU-compatible (which I assume is mandatory?)

It's not mandatory, it's just expected. A lot of people will vomit at the sight of a non-Weidu mod.

The problem is that it's all made with DLTCP

DLTCEP has an 'export to TP2' fuction for items and spells; not sure how good it is though. IIRC, there's also a tool over at BWL to automate the process of converting a non-Weidu mod to a Weidu one, and plainab has also written a 'mod' to do the same. The best way of course, is to just pluck away at the Weidu, or more likely, steal someone else's mod and substitre there filenames for yours in the .tp2.

I'd be happy to help you convert your mod to weidu. I don't have BG2 installed at the moment, but I can certainly walk you through the use of my converter tool. I'll have to check as I do remember finding some things with my last local use that needed adjusted and I can't remember if I updated the download version or not.

Also, it'll give me some additional excuses to work on creating some ease of use functions/macros for modders new to using weidu....

EDIT: Yep. I've got local changes that need to make it onto the website. So look for an update mention at my website before you attempt to use my conversion tool if you choose to go that route...

Guest Glabro
I'd be happy to help you convert your mod to weidu. I don't have BG2 installed at the moment, but I can certainly walk you through the use of my converter tool. I'll have to check as I do remember finding some things with my last local use that needed adjusted and I can't remember if I updated the download version or not.

Also, it'll give me some additional excuses to work on creating some ease of use functions/macros for modders new to using weidu....

EDIT: Yep. I've got local changes that need to make it onto the website. So look for an update mention at my website before you attempt to use my conversion tool if you choose to go that route...

Thanks! At the cost of sounding lazy, I'd like the mod conversion to be as painless as possible, so I'll happily accept any help.

So, I'd probably need to clean up my mod's folder of anything that shouldn't go there (there are a few "personal touches" to items and such) as well as create a readme first...

Thanks! At the cost of sounding lazy, I'd like the mod conversion to be as painless as possible, so I'll happily accept any help.

So, I'd probably need to clean up my mod's folder of anything that shouldn't go there (there are a few "personal touches" to items and such) as well as create a readme first...

The do it yourself way:

For the purposes of using my converter...

Just put ALL of your mod files AND your modified dialog.tlk into one directory.

Make a NEW/CLEAN install of BG2 with any pre-required mods for yours to work installed.

Then run my conversion tool and enter the correct information that it asks for. The output would be a glorified overwrite mod because the created patches just change the current file into your file. For a TRUE weidu mod, the patches will need to be examined and modified according to information found in the IESDP.

The really lazy way:

The lazy way for you would be to package up everything to make your mod run properly (including your modified dialog.tlk) and put it somewhere safe that I can download it. Make sure that I know what the exact required state the game is to be in prior to installing your mod. If certain fixpacks or other mods NEED to be installed prior, let me know.

If you do the really lazy way, I'd download your mod and install BG2 SOA & TOB (unless you only want SOA) and patch it fully. Then I'd convert your mod and look at the patches to see if any of them needed to be adjusted to make a TRUE weidu mod. When done, I'd pass it back to you to test and make sure that everything does exactly what you want...

The really lazy way is probably the least painful for you, because you won't need to clean up or re-install your game. Since I don't have BG2 installed at the moment, I'd be able to ensure that your mod could be installed on a clean unmodded game.

------------------------

For those lurking:

A true weidu mod is a mod that has been designed to do specific editing of files and has taken into consideration the possibility that other mods may make adjustments that change the location of values to be modified within the file.

An overwrite mod is any mod that replaces the current file with it's own file, even if weidu is used to do the coping of the files. It can also be a weidu patching mod that requires a certain game state because static offset values are used for offsets that are designed to be fluid (i.e. item effects, spell effects, etc...)

Also a query for those of you who are lurking...

In a patched and unmodified BG2 TOB install -- How many files are supposed to be in the override directory?

My patched BG ToTSC has merged override content due to the way it interacts with Windows XP on my computer and I want to be able to know if my BG2 TOB install behaves in a similar fashion.

In a patched and unmodified BG2 TOB install -- How many files are supposed to be in the override directory?

I've 824 files in the override directory of a patched and unmodified BG2/ToB install on Windows XP.

Greetings Leomar

I've 824 files in the override directory of a patched and unmodified BG2/ToB install on Windows XP.
Interesting... Are you sure that your install is completely clean and unmodded? Perhaps it had been modded and everything uninstalled? Weidu copies the backup versions of every modified file when a mod is uninstalled so the override can bloat with 'clean' files that match the biff versions.

I just installed BG2 SOA and then TOB followed up with BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH and I ended up with 769 files. Do note that I used the DVD version from the 4 in 1 box set. Will compare against a copy of the cd version (local library has one). Actually I don't need to, I still have the backup from the last install of the library's cd version and there are 769 files. I guess, I ought to check Windows 98 to be sure that nothing is off on my end...

EDIT:

SOA + TOB + 26498 patch for US English on Windows 98 also has 769 files in the override. I'm guessing then that BG2 and Windows XP play nicely together unlike BG ToTSC (on my particular system).

:END EDIT

@Glabro

If you're wanting to try my conversion tool yourself, you can get it from my website. Just click the link in my signature and check out the NWCT (Non-Weidu Conversion Tool) page. I've not updated the version on the website, but the only issue was that I hadn't coded for those mods that did not make dialog changes and thus did not have a corresponding dialog.tlk file to compare. Yours will have a dialog.tlk file so there shouldn't be any issues. Just follow the instructions and I think you'll be fine. I'll get that download updated sometime this weekend. I've got tomorrow off of work, so most likely it'll be then...

EDIT 2:

I remembered the main reason why I hadn't updated the download for the conversion tool: it's going to require weidu 211 and currently uses weidu 210 beta 11. I don't really want to update it and cause user's other mod setup files to update to a beta of weidu. So you'll want to pass me your mod's data and I'll do the conversion locally then pass it back to you when done...

:END EDIT 2

Interesting... Are you sure that your install is completely clean and unmodded? Perhaps it had been modded and everything uninstalled? Weidu copies the backup versions of every modified file when a mod is uninstalled so the override can bloat with 'clean' files that match the biff versions.

I just installed BG2 SOA and then TOB followed up with BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH and I ended up with 769 files. Do note that I used the DVD version from the 4 in 1 box set. Will compare against a copy of the cd version (local library has one). Actually I don't need to, I still have the backup from the last install of the library's cd version and there are 769 files. I guess, I ought to check Windows 98 to be sure that nothing is off on my end...

EDIT:

SOA + TOB + 26498 patch for US English on Windows 98 also has 769 files in the override. I'm guessing then that BG2 and Windows XP play nicely together unlike BG ToTSC (on my particular system).

:END EDIT

Perhaps the different lies in the BG version. I use the German version and patched it with the European patch...

Greetings Leomar

Archived