My first NPC Mod

Jordoo

SPOILERS for those who have not played with Amber!

I downloaded Amber to give her a try as my first NPC Mod! I am not too far in but I must admit I really have enjoyed her so far. The quest to get her happend to me right in the first couple of days while I was just walking around trying to find her and talk to her. It was obviously part of the game I had never encountered so I figured it had to be the Mod. The paperwork part was brilliant, I was annoyed, but also laughing to myself the whole way through. I love the pace of Amber's voice its very distinctive, and she has already had an interaction with an Inn Keeper and Run us around looking for one of her items. Its also pretty cool to see an NPC just walk right up to people and talk to them. I have accessed new items relating to the Mod as well. I also found out that my PC can start conversations with Amber that have more than one dialog option. I just wanted to compliment Amber's creator and say what I have seen so far is excellently done, Portrat, special items, voice, all great.

I have a couple questions, I hope this is the right place for them:

My PC is a Cleric/Ranger and I have Amber, Aerie and Minsc with him. I will hold onto Imoen when I retrieve her. Will Amber have interaction with these other characters or just my PC? Are there certain NPC's that Amber has the most interaction with? She hasn't initiated any conversation with the other members of the group yet.

If I start Romancing Aerie and Amber will I get some interesting banter between the two like you do between Jahiera, Aerie, Viconia? Oh and what are the requirments if any to romance Amber. My PC is a Nuetral/Good Male Half/Elf Cleric/Ranger 19s, 19c, 19d, 10i, 21w, 9ch (8extra tomes from TOTSC)

Why does Amber have 2 stars in Longbow when she isn't strong enough for longbows? Will is screw up the Mod if I shadowkeep these two stars to shortbows?

Also wondering about the decision for Spear rather than Staff which you can backstab with?

Why can't I get Amber to wear heavy Armor?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! I am really love the new spin Amber is putting on the game for me!

Thank you for all the praise! :)

I hope you are playing with the latest release (v 2.5) as there was a dialog bug in the earlier version of the mod that affected priests.

My PC is a Cleric/Ranger and I have Amber, Aerie and Minsc with him. I will hold onto Imoen when I retrieve her. Will Amber have interaction with these other characters or just my PC? Are there certain NPC's that Amber has the most interaction with? She hasn't initiated any conversation with the other members of the group yet.

Amber will have most banters with Viconia Imoen and Haer'Dalis (6 to 7 each). With all other Bioware NPCs she banters 2 to 3 times. In addition to the she will banter once with each NPC in the Underdark. So there should be banters with Minsc and Aerie at some point. It's up to the games banter engine to trigger them, though.

Of course if you do all the quests in early chapters Amber might not have enough time to initiate all her banters with Imoen after Underdark.

If I start Romancing Aerie and Amber will I get some interesting banter between the two like you do between Jahiera, Aerie, Viconia? Oh and what are the requirments if any to romance Amber. My PC is a Nuetral/Good Male Half/Elf Cleric/Ranger 19s, 19c, 19d, 10i, 21w, 9ch (8extra tomes from TOTSC)

Amber will romance a male of any race with intelligence and charisma both 12 or higher. So unfortunately she wont romance your PC (changing the cha now wont help). However she has a fairly extensive friendship path and she will initiate a conversation if your PC romances Aerie. If you decide to re-play with her someday with different character, there is a romance conflict written between Amber Viconia, Aerie or Jaheira.

Why does Amber have 2 stars in Longbow when she isn't strong enough for longbows? Will is screw up the Mod if I shadowkeep these two stars to shortbows?

Normal longbows have strength requirement of 6, so Amber's 12 is just fine for those. Composite long bows are different matter, she needs to wear gloves of ogre power or something like that to use them. Long Bow of Markmanship and the Elven Court Bow are examples of magical longbows that have low str requirement. I gave her longbow proficiency because I find the strongbow to be a more elegant weapon then shortbow, and all other thieves use shortbows. Without Amber, all those cool longbows are often left unused because longbow users (like Minsc) tend to spend more time in melee combat.

I recommend that you find a way to boost her strength ingame, because that will make her a stronger fighter too. However, Shadowkeeping those proficiencies around shouldn't do any harm. And if you keep a backup save, you can always go back.

Also wondering about the decision for Spear rather than Staff which you can backstab with?

I like spears. And the original IWD2 Amber, on which the BG2 Amber was based used spears. And I didn't know you can backstab with a staff (I think it's silly).

Why can't I get Amber to wear heavy Armor?

She doesn't want to. Heavy armour is, well, so heavy and she wants to be able to move unnoticed She also needs to have a handicap to balance the special abilities she has.

Thanks alot Meira, and again great job on Amber. BTW I loved the new items and her specific items, they are cool and usefull but not uber powerfull.

I downloaded the windows (iegmc America) version from the download section off of Ambers websight neer the top of that page. I hope that the 2.5 version, is it?

I didn't even think about Haer'Dilas of course Amber would have alot to talk to him about. I'll have pick him up for a while, but not long enough for him to steel Aerie from the party, LOL.

Ouch on the Romance, I really wanted to see how that went! How does that work, is it a check at the initial conversation with Amber, or does the character have to have the 12,12 at the start of the game? I probably have an old save before ever talking to those kids, could I shadow keep my stats around in that save and make it work? I suppose worst case senario I could simply Shadow Keep my Character in the character files and then start a new game with him. Please Advise.

OK, I got you on the longbows and totally forgot about the different strength requirments for Composit and Regular. And now that I think about it I never have anyone who uses spears either so that will be nice. I definitally plan on using a strength boosting item for Amber.

Ok so whats the heaviest Armor she will wear? Just leather, chain, scale? Oh and she has that nice buckler which must mean she probably won't use a large shield either?

I downloaded the windows (iegmc America) version from the download section off of Ambers websight neer the top of that page. I hope that the 2.5 version, is it?

Sure.

Ouch on the Romance, I really wanted to see how that went! How does that work, is it a check at the initial conversation with Amber, or does the character have to have the 12,12 at the start of the game? I probably have an old save before ever talking to those kids, could I shadow keep my stats around in that save and make it work? I suppose worst case senario I could simply Shadow Keep my Character in the character files and then start a new game with him. Please Advise.

Your PC should meet the stat requirements at the start of the game with Amber. In other words, the stats should be 12 or higher before you load a game with Amber installed. So, you can use a save from a previous game where you didn't have Amber installed, but not one where you have her installed even if you do not have her in party yet. Sorry.

Ok so whats the heaviest Armor she will wear? Just leather, chain, scale? Oh and she has that nice buckler which must mean she probably won't use a large shield either?

She'll use leather or studded leather, basically anything that's usable by a single class thief. No shields (small or large), just bucklers.

Meira,

Thanks alot, for all the info and the super fast responses!

Unfortunitally I am going to have to start a new game because I really want to romance Amber. At least I'll get a chance to do that great begging with her again :) !

I'll check back in once I have restarted and initiated the romance! I really haven't been this excited about BGII in years, thank you so much!

Meira,

Thanks alot, for all the info and the super fast responses!

Unfortunitally I am going to have to start a new game because I really want to romance Amber. At least I'll get a chance to do that great begging with her again :) !

I'll check back in once I have restarted and initiated the romance! I really haven't been this excited about BGII in years, thank you so much!

Oops that should read "begining" not "begging"

Spoilers:

I started a new game but took aways some con/dex/wis to boost my Cha/int for my cleric/ranger. I have already done Amber's side quest which was great especially the ending as I thought it really fit her character well. Nice new items from that as well (oposite alignment item could be very usefull for planning other games with Amber) I did have a bit of a tough time figuring out that the tailor was the guy I needed to talk to to use those skins.

Amber's interaction options and stories are great and seem to multiply all the time as do her responses to my flirting. She has interacted with Minsc and Aerie. She had a couple of banters with Haer'Dilas but once I realized he was trying to hook it up with her I tossed him. I though it was pretty funny when Amber warned me about Aerie but they still haven't gotten catty or anything yet. I though I was about to get it on with Amber but my good freind Minsc put a damper on that effert. LOL

Anyways just wanted to say that this Mod runs seamlessly for me and is so well done compared to the other NPC's and romances in the game. I also find Amber to be a very usefull character who is now specializing in backstabing spell casters for me. Amber really puts those other girls to shame thanks alot Meira, you must have put a rediculous amount of time into Amber and I apreciate it very much.

Thank you, I hope you'll the rest of the journey with Amber too.

I haven't finished one run with her yet and I am already hooked! I think she said something about being in all of my BGII parties from now on, while reading my palm! LOL

Archived