Various ToB hacks

If there is an error it should only be in the 2DA file. Well, I guess I'll fix it when I ever get around to update my stuff.

Thanks for the report.

Yeah it is only in the 2da file. Just a small cosmetic thing and the 2da is easy enough to switch the numbers around like a Vanilla game :)

I installed the tob hacks as part of my bwp install and I got no expandable spell-books, so I'm still restricted to 24 spells per level. I saw 2 arrows I didn't see before poitning left and right, respectively, below the spells, but they just shift one from 1 different spell-level to another. Most annoying as the kit extender of tob-extender mod worked fine.

@Strontium Dog

You wouldn't happen to have installed an alternative GUI like W_GUI? If not, try to click in the upper and lower areas of those spellbook arrows. Because that's where the scrollable spellbook is implemented.

10th

A quick question on that - the w_gui problem with scrollable spellbooks is a non-issue if you don't add lots of spells right? As in only SR spells.

If you have only tob_hacks installed, there shouldn't be any extra arrows.

So my presumption is you have installed both tob_hacks and activated the [Mage/PriestScroll] component/s of TobEx, which is a big no no. However, I'm a bit uncertain about this, because you describe that the two extra arrows point left and right, whereas TobEx has them point up and down.

If I am right, try disabling the [Mage/PriestScroll] components.

Ascension64:

I could have sworn I checked that profsmax.2da worked. Maybe I mistyped the parameters when creating the diff. Hopefully I still have that patched executable. Thanks for the report.

By the way, I think we really should combine our efforts (concerning reversing) and your injection approach is certainly the way to go. (Although I must admit, I really like the challenge of hacking something in - gotta love the size restriction. :))

In case you missed that PM on PPG: Since you're still working on the IE (and I'm currently not) I'm willing to send you all the structure info I got. Not sure if you need it anymore -- just let me know.

By the way, I think we really should combine our efforts (concerning reversing) and your injection approach is certainly the way to go. (Although I must admit, I really like the challenge of hacking something in - gotta love the size restriction. :))

Am I getting it right that ToB hacks works by changing bgmain.exe itself, while ToBEx runs another executable alongside with bgmain and patch it in ram "on the fly" without changing the file itself? If that so, any chance that ToB hacks development would be continued on the same basis as it is now? I must admit I feel properly cracked exe to be much more solid and simplier decision for end user (me :suspect: ).

Now why is that?

Your assumption is correct, TobEx injects code on-the-fly.

This allows much more possibilities than the cracking approach, because you aren't limited by size restrictions. And since most of Ascension64's Code is in a high-level language, you can verify it much easier. (I could put really nasty code in those exe hacks, and it would be hard to notice.)

Steam :suspect:

It's a very cheap & convenient alternative to buying physical games (as long as you aren't interested in reselling and have a reliable internet), and (unlike other services like Gametap) Valve does go out of its way to help modders (see: OBSE).

Archived