Suggestions for a few good thieves?

slickrcbd

I'm sick of Yoshimo and find Jan annoying. Not to mention that I'm pretty much stuck with that turnip-obsessed Gnome every time I play Throne of Bhaal as anything other than a thief.

Can I ask for some suggestions on a few good mods that let me pick up a less annoying thieving companion that can get me through both SoA and ToB?

The character needs to be a viable party thief. An assassin specialized in stealth & SETTING traps who tricks his way into the party will be used as a meat shield for traps.

I'm not saying I don't want assassins, just that they need to rely on items like Boots of Stealth and The Nights Gift and spend their points on opening locks, detecting & disarming traps, etc.

So, with all the NPC mods out there, can somebody suggest a few decent thieves to try? Single, multi, or dual, it's all good, so long as they dual TO thief (or kit) so they can continue to pick up skills. Somebody dualed TO an assassin from wizard would be cool, especially if they have enough wizard level to cast mislead.

Ideally the thief would have banters with the bioware NPSs.

Well, there's always Level 1 NPCs, if you feel like making just about anyone into a thief (and picking class, starting thief skills, etcetera).

I'm personally fond of Amber. She's a dualed fighter-to-thief, and she's got stealth pretty much down to begin with when you pick her up, but it doesn't take very many levels to get her lock/trap skills maxed. The downside, however, is she currently lacks ToB content. You can still bring her, but she'll have nothing to say for the ToB part of the game.

I'll add my 2 cents :hm:

Fade is quite fun. Alora is another mod for BG2 who's a swashbuckler, but I find her soundset annoying after awhile on a par with Jan. IIRC Haer 'dalis is a swashbuckler. Maybe some of the old one day Iron Modder mods might have a thief in them (at PPG).

Remember that you can dual from a kit to a class but not from a class to a kit (your post mentioned dualling to a kit).

And as far as the lock picking, etc. abilities, there are sufficient quantities of potions to tide you over until you max out your thief's skills, which IMO happens fairly quickly. IIRC, the only thief skill that doesn't get (at least temporarily) boosted by anything in the game is the thief's ability to detect illusion.

John

Amber is my thief pick for BG2 from modded chars, her attitude matches my party well. I also didn't mind changing Nalia into a pure thief. But I also like Jan, and/or enhance Haer's thieving skills.

Amber is my thief pick for BG2 from modded chars, her attitude matches my party well. I also didn't mind changing Nalia into a pure thief. But I also like Jan, and/or enhance Haer's thieving skills.

How do you enhance Haer's Thieving skills? I tried giving a (PC) bard points in open locks and disable device in Shadowkeeper, but the thief icon and keyboard command in the game only lets you target people for pickpocketing. Haer doesn't have any other commands to let you detect traps or illusions. Nor can he go stealthy.

Archived