3E-style feat system

Ardanis

Actually, I think KR simply can incorporate RR's components, as I'm certian Avenger will have no worries if being stolen from - as he wasn't with SSoB. Might indeed be good to just ask him for his components to save time inventing the wheel.

That's correct, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup:

FYI, both Rogue Rebalancing and aTweaks are published under a fairly open license. As long as people adhere to its terms (attribution, non-commercial, share-alike) they are free to incorporate (and further adapt) any material from RR/aTweaks into their own mods. I'd just advise to remove the RR# prefix from all file names and script variables in order to avoid conflicts. Also, it might be a good idea to incorporate some compatibility checks in order to prevent similar components from RR and KR from being installed at the same time.

Metamagic Skills

Quick = +1 casting speed

Still = -% arcane casting failure

Silent = immunity to silence

Maximize/Empower/Extend, well, yeah...

- Quick: yeah, let's make mages more overpowered than they already are...I nerf Vecna's Robe only to make a permanent effect which stacks with Vecna's ability

- Silent: in one instant we make a 2nd lvl spell completely useless and few items unappealing

- Extend: increased duration opcode is semi-broken

- Maximize: increased caster lvl? Fine...

- Empower: increased damage? Not doable...though some Planescape item claims to do something like that...

I can see Quick and Silent as HLAs, but a permanent effect at mid-low levels would be really too much imo.

Let's say that we have 4-5 metamagic skills (and I don't think we do), we would have to limit the number of selectable ones to 1-2, else what's the whole point of creating a huge new system if you always end up with all of them?

Otoh, I don't remember off-hand...what would be the problem in simply using the pre-existing HLA tables, adding there few Low Level Abilities, and making the table start to appear at a lower xp point? We can then add level checks for each ability, as I think it's a standard feature of the tables (though unused till now).

Actually, I think KR simply can incorporate RR's components, as I'm certian Avenger will have no worries if being stolen from - as he wasn't with SSoB. Might indeed be good to just ask him for his components to save time inventing the wheel.
That's correct, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup:
Cool!

Actually I was probably going to ask you something like that because KR's thief kits are probably going to be carbon copies of RR ones (I've very few differences in mind), and I don't want to create confusion (e.g. it's nice that your AI takes into account and uses Assasin's Death Attack).

I've actually figured out a way to do something LD this - I don't know anything about 3E/feats, but something like Fallout-style perks. I've figured it conceptually, but I haven't made it because 1) my modding skills only extend to using Near Infinity; and 2) I have zero free time these days.

But the idea is to use the HLA table, starting from level 2. I *think* they are limited to *displaying* 24 powers at any given level-up... not to having 24 in total (if I'm wrong please tell me). IF that's correct, then you could carefully arrange them with min/max levels and with prerequisite powers, such that only 24 are available at any given time. I envision about 12 general powers available to anyone - kind of like nonweapon proficiencies - and 12 class-specific abilities. They would come every 2 or 3 levels (every level would be too much) by using "shadow-kits" the way the Refinements mod does. I.e. at level 2 you would choose a perk, which would give you an ability AND kick you into a shadow kit; the shadow kit would have no perks, except a mandatory one that kicks you back into the first kit, which would happen at level 3; then at level 4 you would pick another perk and the cycle would repeat.

But this would be very much its own mod - an alternative to Kit Revisions, not a part of it (and thus it should have it's own thread somewhere else). There would be no kits with this system; instead, the player would design their own "kit" by combining various perks. (I suppose you could just implement this for the pure-class kits, but it would be pretty unbalanced. I would envision this being an added kit, so the player could choose to play this way or not. Players could combine it with the Level 1 NPCs mod if they wanted the whole game to work this way.)

Necro again! Yay! I was just reading through the KR threads and I saw this one, which I had totally forgotten about. Anyway, just want to say that after all this time, I figures out a way to do a feat system. The only catch being, it uses wizard spells, so no wizard class or multiclass with wizard abilities can use this system. But, that's okay - not everyone needs feats! I first made some short, relatively low-power combat techniques for trueclass fighters and rangers *only* - to spice up the trueclasses a bit compared to the kits.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/713973/#Comment_713973

...plus I added two basic "tactician stances" (offensive and defensive). Trueclass fighters are much more interesting.

Then I applied the same system to Called Shots for Archers, as well as my other Archer-y kits (Marksman, Elven Archer, Slinger, Sniper). They are described here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/763714/#Comment_763714

Then I extended the feat system so that feat lists can be tailored to specific kits, and set it to replace the vanilla thief kit characteristics:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/765955/#Comment_765955

...and then I added an 'Alchemist' kit with special alchemy feats, and then I added 20 psionic powers for thieves to tap into, and made a new 'Psion' thief kit:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/791264/#Comment_791264

So anyway, there are a bunch of limitations for how this kind of thing can be implemented (long story short, forget HLAs, do it either with dialogue or via wizard spells and the NRD effect), but if you work within those limitations, you can totally do feats! :)

Archived