Tweaked Viconia's Portrait

XVIII

Hehe, really appreciate the input JPS. And in case my previous post sounded a bit curt... I'm sorry, I was just saying that I did not see the flaw and therefore am incapable of correcting it is all. If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could give it whirl and show me what you are talking about? If it would further perfect the portrait, I would be really grateful :)

I think the area below her collar bone looks off because the "armour", or whatever it's supposed to be, is just pasted in without any tweaking, so it's not properly aligned with the rest of her.

Now back to your portrait, I do not think the problem is with the armor so much as the collar bones themselves (that *is* what those two light grey smudges/slashes below her neck are correct?) I think they're too close together and the angle of their slant is just wrong. You might also want to mess around with the shading too. And finally, this last bit is purely my personally preference... but I think a gold and purple cloak looks a bit weird. Well I'm out, good luck on your further endeavors :)

Oh, and Echon, I think pure black skin is impossible. The best one can manage is an approximation like very dark grey, dark blue or dark purple and then attribute it to ebony skin reflecting the light. If it's actual ebony, the features won't be well defined at all will they?

Now back to your portrait, I do not think the problem is with the armor so much as the collar bones themselves (that *is* what those two light grey smudges/slashes below her neck are correct?) I think they're too close together and the angle of their slant is just wrong. You might also want to mess around with the shading too. And finally, this last bit is purely my personally preference... but I think a gold and purple cloak looks a bit weird. Well I'm out, good luck on your endeavors  :)

(I'll take this forst, due to its relative off topic-ness)

You might be right. I think the problem is that I'm not quite sure where her neck is supposed to end and at what height her shoulders are supposed to be. And I'm beginning to suspect that the original artist wasn't sure either...

Hehe, really appreciate the input JPS. And in case my previous post sounded a bit curt... I'm sorry, I was just saying that I did not see the flaw and therefore am incapable of correcting it is all. If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could give it whirl and show me what you are talking about? If it would further perfect the portrait, I would be really grateful  :)

Well, I made this little picture. It's not really a fair comparison, since I took "your" eye from a .jpeg and the other ones from original images, but I still think that it shows what I'm talking about. There's no clear border between the pupil and the iris, which gives the entire eye a slightly glassy look. It's possible that some of it, or even all of it, comes from the .jpeg compression, and in that case there's nothing to worry about.

(Oh, and "my" eye goes to the other extreme, with a black border between the iris and the white of the eye, but I realized that the contrast in the original portrait wasn't as obvious as I had imagined, so I included all three of them)

post-45-1094183113_thumb.png

Thanks JPS, that was exactly what I needed :)

On another note, you might have already notice this but I think the shine/light reflective quality of her forehead, neck and collar bone area are not really consistent with that of her nose, lips, cheeks and chin. Another little point you might want to consider :)

Thanks JPS, that was exactly what I needed  :D

Good :)

On another note, you might have already notice this but I think the shine/light reflective quality of her forehead, neck and collar bone area are not really consistent with that of her nose, lips, cheeks and chin. Another little point you might want to consider  ;)

That may be true. What I really should do is get rid of all the reflections, decide from what direction the light is supposed to be coming, and then paint new and consistent reflections. But I'll do it some other time... :)

Archived