Tweaked Viconia's Portrait

XVIII

Guest KkDragonLord
kkdragonlord: your link is not working for me.

r u sure? i dont know very well how to post images on forums, i followed the url from where the others posted their images and ended up in the yahoo page, i figured i had to drop the image in the photo album and from there i could link to here, but when i did the image did not show, i thought that at least the link should work, but maybe it only works for me?

can anyone teach me how to post images on forums plz? (damn im such a noob :) )

Does anyone know where I can download the portraits that XVIII posted on Sep 3 2004, 06:08 AM? I love that purple one, and would really like to use it in both my BG Tutu and BGII games (if that's at all possible - could I use this portrait with the 'Give Viconia her BG2 portrait' component from BG1 NPC Project?).

This page has G3 collections of portraits: http://www.gibberlings3.net/portraits/

I believe that XVIII's Viconia's portrait is available in Misculaneous section unde BG1, and iirc it is also included in the BG1NPC Portrait Pack (had been some time...)

Thank you, Domi.

I've downloaded the BG1 NPC Portrait Pack. The only portrait I want to use from the mod is the purple Viconia. If I install the mod before installing Tutu, will it work for BGII as well? Will it automatically replace Viconia's BGII portrait?

What I want to do is play Tutu with the purple Viconia, then play BGII with the purple Viconia.

The pack should be installed *after* TUTU. What you need to do is select 'ask about every option' at the installation of the pack. It will ask youthen if you want all the portraits available for your PC (select 'No'), then it will ask you, if you'd like to install all Amok's portraits for BG1NPC's - again, select 'No'. Then it will go into a few options for NPCs with multiple portraits, Viconia one of them. Chose XVIII's portrait for Viconia. Answer 'no' to all other options.

Now, for BG2, you will need to do the following: either go to your overide, after installing purple Viconia and loot two files: _ICONIAS.BMP and _ICONIAL.BMP or download the portraits directly from the album (if they are available in the BMP format for small and large. Rename them NVICONS.BMP and VICONM.BMP (S for small, M for large) and put them into your override. :)

The pack should be installed *after* TUTU. What you need to do is select 'ask about every option' at the installation of the pack. It will ask youthen if you want all the portraits available for your PC (select 'No'), then it will ask you, if you'd like to install all Amok's portraits for BG1NPC's - again, select 'No'. Then it will go into a few options for NPCs with multiple portraits, Viconia one of them. Chose XVIII's portrait for Viconia. Answer 'no' to all other options.

Now, for BG2, you will need to do the following: either go to your overide, after installing purple Viconia and loot two files: _ICONIAS.BMP and _ICONIAL.BMP or download the portraits directly from the album (if they are available in the BMP format for small and large. Rename them NVICONS.BMP and VICONM.BMP (S for small, M for large) and put them into your override. :)

Sorry, Domi, I don't follow your second paragraph at all. I understand what to do for Tutu, but not for BGII.

Let's say I want to play BGII by itself, without installing and playing Tutu first. There's two Viconia portraits that I can see in the BG1 NPC Portrait Pack v1: EVICONIAL and EVICONIAS. I'm assuming that these are the ones that will get used when I install this mod after Tutu and play BG1, so how do I use these exact same portraits when playing BGII without having also installed Tutu?

I apologise for my idiocy, but if I don't understand then I don't understand.

Sorry for being unclear.

The way game handles portrait assignments is that it looks for the specific portrait NAME assigned in the CRE file (the portrait also has to be in a proper format, but they already are).

For BG2, Viconia's portraits NAMES are:

NVICONS.BMP (small portrait) VICONM.BMP (inventory portrait) and NVICONL.BMP (ToB epilogue portrait)

Now, the game also has a so called Override folder - in this folder one can place a file with the same name as BioWARE file (which are stored in special ZIP'ed files called BIFF's) and the game then will use the file from the Override INSTEAD of an original file.

Hence, to change the portrait in BG2, all you need to do is to rename the portraits (ie EVICONIAS will become NVICONS) and after renaming them, place them into your Override folder found in your main BG2 directory (ie something like C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII-SoA\Override

Hope that helps.

Sorry for being unclear.

The way game handles portrait assignments is that it looks for the specific portrait NAME assigned in the CRE file (the portrait also has to be in a proper format, but they already are).

For BG2, Viconia's portraits NAMES are:

NVICONS.BMP (small portrait) VICONM.BMP (inventory portrait) and NVICONL.BMP (ToB epilogue portrait)

Now, the game also has a so called Override folder - in this folder one can place a file with the same name as BioWARE file (which are stored in special ZIP'ed files called BIFF's) and the game then will use the file from the Override INSTEAD of an original file.

Hence, to change the portrait in BG2, all you need to do is to rename the portraits (ie EVICONIAS will become NVICONS) and after renaming them, place them into your Override folder found in your main BG2 directory (ie something like C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII-SoA\Override

Hope that helps.

I think I'm getting there. :)

I don't currently have the game installed, which is making this harder that it probably should be.

In an attempt to clarify, is the 'VICONM.BMP (inventory portrait)' the paperdoll I see in Viconia's inventory? There doesn't seem to be a new inventory portrait in BG1 NPC Portrait Pack v1. As I previously mentioned, there's EVICONIAS and EVICONIAL, which are exactly the same but different sizes.

Am I right in thinking that EVICONIAS/NVICONS is the icon that gets displayed on the right of the screen as seen here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursgate...ns.html?page=79

And that EVICONIAL/NVICONL is the one that gets displayed on the character sheet:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursgate...ns.html?page=80

So I rename EVICONIAS to NVICONS and EVICONIAL to NVICONL, right? But don't do anything with VICONM.BMP?

Archived