Tweaked Viconia's Portrait

XVIII

In BG1 extension L was used for what in BG2 uses extension M - the 110x170 portrait that appears in the character record, as opposite to the one the right console (extension S in both games, 38x60). Extension L in BG2 becomes reserved for the 210x330 portrait taht only appears in the epilogue sequence of ToB.

So you will need to rename EVICONIAL to NVICONM. You will not have a NVICONIAL portrait, unless you resize purple Viconia. Without it, the old Viconia portrait will appear during the epilogue.

In BG1 extension L was used for what in BG2 uses extension M - the 110x170 portrait that appears in the character record, as opposite to the one the right console (extension S in both games, 38x60). Extension L  in BG2 becomes reserved for the 210x330 portrait taht only appears in the epilogue sequence of ToB.

So you will need to rename EVICONIAL to NVICONM. You will not have a NVICONIAL portrait, unless you resize purple Viconia. Without it, the old Viconia portrait will appear during the epilogue.

Right, so it would seem that I can't use this mod 'as is' for BGII. I'm curious as to why a NVICONIAL portrait was not made for this mod. I know the mod is for BG1, but wouldn't a player want to have the same Viconia portrait through each game i.e. BG, BGII and ToB?

How does one resize purple Viconia? Won't the NVICONIAL version of her look a bit crappy since you're blowing-up a smaller version of the same picture, or will the quality scale?

Thanks again.

As you have mentioned, I have made the project for TUTU/BG1, hence no allocations for ToB and none are planned. :)

You can resize a portrait in Photoshop or similar editor; you can also try to contact XVIII to see if s(he) has a larger version of the picture, since I am pretty positive that s(he) would have done recoloring on the larger version rather than on the small one.

Cheers.

As you have mentioned, I have made the project for TUTU/BG1, hence no allocations for ToB and none are planned.  :)

You can resize a portrait in Photoshop or similar editor; you can also try to contact XVIII to see if s(he) has a larger version of the picture, since I am pretty positive that s(he) would have done recoloring on the larger version rather than on the small one.

Cheers.

Thanks again, Domi. I'm sure you can understand why someone may wish to play through BG + BGII with the same portraits (after all, there is a Give NPC his/her BG2 portrait component in the BG1 NPC Project).

I've sent XVIII an Email, so I'll have to wait and see if I get a response.

Actually, all the portrait in this very thread *are* 330x210 (appart from JPS'). Just click on it, dl it, save as BMP if it is JPG. Sorry, I did not look at the beginning of the thread.

Oh, and Echon, I think pure black skin is impossible. The best one can manage is an approximation like very dark grey, dark blue or dark purple and then attribute it to ebony skin reflecting the light. If it's actual ebony, the features won't be well defined at all will they?

Bit late, this comment, but: look at a few pics of Masaii, Ethiopians, Somalians etc. They're so black (ebony?) as to be almost midnight blue. The first time I met someone from the Horn of Africa a few years ago, I was so startled by the depth of colour that I spent most of the time watching the reflections from his face.

-Y-

Archived