A Cry for Help From a Desperate Man

Unithralith

Good God, you're right! I have no idea why the program I was playing those with didn't pick up the clicks, but Audacity sure does. I'll edit them post-haste. Thanks for another good tip Mike.

I was wondering if someone could help with me with a simple banter file. WeiDU is telling me I have a parse error somewhere, but after literally an hour or two of looking through a very short amount of code, I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. It says that the error is around the word "Aren't". I tried that line both with and without the SAY command in front of it, and neither way works. Maybe someone with a sharper eye than I will notice something that I don't?

BEGIN ~WR#BILL~
CHAIN
IF ~InParty(“WR#Illiathâ€Â)
InParty(“Minscâ€Â)
See("Minsc")
!ActuallyInCombat
!StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)
Global(“WR#IllMinscâ€Â,â€ÂLOCALSâ€Â,0)THEN WR#BILL ChopBlock
SAY ~Aren't you rangers supposed to be stealthy, Minsc?~
DO ~SetGlobal(WR#IllMinscâ€Â,â€ÂLOCALSâ€Â,1)
== BMINSC
~Minsc and Boo are stealthy! Very stealthy! But how is Minsc to wallop the forces of evil about the head and neck if he is tucked tidily in a corner?~
= ~No,let the mice and rodents hide in corners and leave the men to fight face to face! Except Boo. Boo can fight too.~
== WR#BILL ~You might want to exercise your stealth skills more often Minsc; by the sounds of it, you've taken a few too many blows to the head area yourself.~
== BMINSC ~Moderate brain damage is a small price to pay for the chance to kick so many evil butts!~
== WR#BILL ~Ha ha! Well Minsc, whatever your strategy I'm glad my butt isn't on the chopping block.~
== BMINSC ~It might be. Boo hasn't decided yet.~
== WR#BILL ~So much for getting a good night's sleep tonight...~
EXIT
END

Maybe it's my internet but the way you posted your code box looks weird.
Same here.

Also, there's no tilda at the end here as well, which gave you the initail error.

~InParty(“WR#Illiathâ€Â)InParty(“Minscâ€Â)See("Minsc")!ActuallyInCombat!StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)Global(“WR#IllMinscâ€Â,â€ÂLOCALSâ€Â,0)

AACKK!! Every time I do a preview to see how my text looks, you guys come along and give the answer I was going to give... Oh, well... Here it is anyway. :party:

It says that the error is around the word "Aren't".

You are missing a tilda (~) on the line before. Don't worry, it's a common mistake that a lot of us make...

Change line above SAY ~Aren't you rangers supposed to be stealthy, Minsc?~

Global(“WR#IllMinscâ€Â,â€ÂLOCALSâ€Â,0)THEN WR#BILL ChopBlock

TO:

Global(“WR#IllMinscâ€Â,â€ÂLOCALSâ€Â,0)~ THEN WR#BILL ChopBlock

You're all darlings; to all appearances, my banter file now works appropriately, though I'll have to test it later and make sure it fires.

Thanks!

Also, apologies on the formatting; I'm still sorting out how to use the code box feature.

Also, apologies on the formatting; I'm still sorting out how to use the code box feature.

It's not your fault. The codebox tag stretches the window in IE/Firefox when a line is too long instead of keeping the box a normal size and making the contents horizontally scrollable. This has bugged me for some time now. If you have a standard amount of code, using the [ code ] tag instead of [ codebox ] will keep the window sized normally, but the box's height will increase with each line of code you add, so it's less useful for large amounts of information.

On another note,

InParty(“WR#Illiath”)

The quotes you used around this name and others look like something inserted by Microsoft Word instead of normal quotes. I'd recommend that you switch to an editor like Notepad++, Textpad, ConText, or similar.

On another note,

InParty(“WR#Illiathâ€Â)

The quotes you used around this name and others look like something inserted by Microsoft Word instead of normal quotes. I'd recommend that you switch to an editor like Notepad++, Textpad, ConText, or similar.

It might be because of the way I copied/pasted it; it may have just been opened in notepad. I do however, use ConTEXT now, which I find infinitely helpful. Thanks for the tip regardless.

A question though; I was trying to figure out how to have my NPC interject after the group exits from Irenicus' dungeon (everybody seems to interject here, so it seemed natural that he should), but I couldn't quite figure out how to code for it. Is it an interjection, or a banter? If it's an interjection, I don't know who he would be "interrupting" or where I would code that in. Is it a location based thing? Like, "if NPCinArea = (1) THEN blah" kind of thing?

TIF, as always.

A question though; I was trying to figure out how to have my NPC interject after the group exits from Irenicus' dungeon (everybody seems to interject here, so it seemed natural that he should), but I couldn't quite figure out how to code for it. Is it an interjection, or a banter? If it's an interjection, I don't know who he would be "interrupting" or where I would code that in. Is it a location based thing? Like, "if NPCinArea = (1) THEN blah" kind of thing?

You could probably do it as a banter with checks for area, chapter and just to be safe that Imoen has been taken from the party... (don't want to cause any issues with the cutscene firing so I'd make sure that Imoen is out of the picture...)

Archived