Post-Spellhold Brynnlaw Bug

To the Gibberlings 3 community:

I am here to report a serious bug that I encountered while playing BGII: SoA+ToB version 26498, patched with the Gibberlings 3 Fixpack version 8.

In chapter 4, having defeated Irenicus in Spellhold, and having accepted Saemon Havarian's offer after the battle, after I spoke to Saemon in the Vulgar Monkey and agreed to acquire the sea-gate horn from Cayia, he seemed to completely disappear from the game. After the conversation, he was nowhere to be found in Brynnlaw, neither at the docks, nor still in the tavern, nor anywhere else, as far as I could see, both before and after I actually acquired the horn. Because of this, the game could not continue, except by my returning to the portal in Spellhold and proceeding to the Underdark. Since I will not be satisfied with skipping the Githyanki and Sahuagin episodes of the game, I deem it to be stalled.

This is actually the second time I have encountered this bug. The first time it occurred, I ran the game as reported above. In addition, in both games,

1. I killed Perth and acquired the Spellhold wardstone, and

2. I gained entry to Spellhold by appealing to Desharik.

Finally, in both games, after the end of the gate-horn dialogue in the tavern, Saemon immediately disappeared (neither teleporting away nor walking out the exit). In the more recent game, I tried leaving the inner doors open before commencing the dialogue, but it seemed to have no effect.

Thanks in advance for any help resolving this.

If this is a reproducible bug, it does not appear to be present in the vanilla game. Saemon should walk out the door and take up his place in front of Desharik's ship after you are done talking to him. There is nothing that should make him disappear after the dialogue like that.

To try to get around it in your current game, you can go to where he is supposed to be (in front of the ship) and use the console command CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("ppsaem3")

Information on activating the console can be found here.

(Naively) Assuming there is not something more going on here, it should then simply be a matter of getting the horn and speaking to Saemon.

Okay.

Could you post the contents of your weidu.log file?

Also, which NPCs do you have in your party?

Thirdly, could you use the following two console commands before and after Saemon disappears and see if either of them has the value 1?

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("sprite_is_deadppsaem2","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("sprite_is_deadppsaem3","GLOBAL")

Chances are you'll be informed that neither variable exists, but they are one possible way for Saemon to vanish into thin air.

Fourthly, it would be helpful to know if Saemon's vanishing act is a one time occurrence or if it happens every time you try to create (as per the console command I posted earlier) him inside and outside the tavern.

Wisp,

Thank you for continuing to follow this. I appreciate the help. As requested, here is my weidu.log file:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v7
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod: Widescreen Mod v2.1

The NPCs in my party (in both games with the bug) were/are Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Jan, and Edwin.

The commands

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("sprite_is_deadppsaem2","GLOBAL") and

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("sprite_is_deadppsaem3","GLOBAL")

both returned a message to the effect that the specified variable did not exist, both before and after Saemon disappeared.

When, after Saemon's disappearance, I issued the CreateCreature command outside, Saemon appeared in the correct position by Desharik's ship. When I did this in the tavern, he appeared where he had been before disappearing. In both cases, he could next be spoken to, beginning the correct dialogue ("Have you retrieved the sea gate horn?").

Could you try having Saemon disappear and then use the command

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",60)

before recreating him and speaking to him again?

It would be interesting to know if he would disappear a second time or not.

Also, I assume he stays put if you initially reject his offer and tell him you are taking the portal? He presumably disappears if you then speak to him again and accept his offer.

If you look in your override folder, you should find a file called ppsaem3.dlg there. I was wondering if you could upload the file to e.g. Mediafire so I can have a look at it. You can apparently upload files to Mediafire without registering or creating any accounts.

I made Saemon disappear, and then reset the AsylumPlot variable to 60 via the command you gave. I recreated him and he disappeared again when I spoke to him and agreed to find the horn.

Whenever I reject Saemon's offer, he remains in place. I can then speak to him again, tell him I have reconsidered, and agree to find the horn, at which point he disappears.

I have uploaded my override\PPSAEM3.DLG file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1d8101c...04e75f6e8ebb871

Saemon getting lost while leaving the inn should actually be a pretty common issue (this comes up fairly frequently at the BioWare forums, for instance). It's odd that he disappears (do we mark the transition impassable by mistake?) instead of trying to walk offscreen, but he's actually running an EscapeArea()-type action, so the engine will just remove him eventually anyway. (It likely would have been less error-prone to just have him removed from the tavern and then spawned separately outside, but I guess they didn't want you to leave the tavern with him still inside and then find that he beat you to the docks.)

I believe the only fixpack changes to Saemon relate to the point of getting into and out of Spellhold, and then when getting onto the ship (I don't remember any changes to the post-Spellhold Brynnlaw sequences).

If you check or set the AsylumPlot and StealShip GLOBALs to the appropriate values, then creating him with the console outside the tavern should start things back up again without incident.

Whatever the issue is, it seems to be beyond my ability to diagnose. It would seem like it is the action executed at the end of the dialogue which is responsible, but I am wholly unable to reproduce it. Additionally, BG Player's dialogue file appears to be just fine (and exactly identical to my own).

It likely would have been less error-prone to just have him removed from the tavern and then spawned separately outside

Perhaps an eventual attempt to fix this problem could be to do just this?

Have Saemon perform a regular EscapeArea instead of his current EscapeAreaMove and have ar1600.bcs create a new Saemon once the right variables are in the proper configurations.

(At the risk of appearing overeager, I would be happy to do the work.)

I believe the only fixpack changes to Saemon relate to the point of getting into and out of Spellhold, and then when getting onto the ship (I don't remember any changes to the post-Spellhold Brynnlaw sequences).
There is nothing concerning these events, but the beta fixes make a few changes to the Saemon/Desharik and Saemon/Gith/Sahuagin scenes.

I am grateful to all who have provided input on this matter. It seems I must be content, for now, with using the console to create Saemon outside the tavern to unblock the game, as has been suggested. I would of course be very thankful for any continued investigation of this problem and for work on a workaround or fix, if one is found.

Wisp, you have my special thanks for taking the time to examine my dialogue files and providing numerous suggestions for restoring my game.

One final question: is there a console command I can run to get the status and/or position of Saemon? Or is it already clear from the fact that it is possible to recreate him that he has been deleted from the game?

One final question: is there a console command I can run to get the status and/or position of Saemon? Or is it already clear from the fact that it is possible to recreate him that he has been deleted from the game?

Unfortunately not.

If you can't find him yourself, there's little more you can do to locate him. It is also possible to create multiple copies of a creature by using the console.

However, should you inadvertently create a duplicate, it is not very likely to have any ill effects.

Just found this thread and wanted to note that I had the same issue as the OP, where Saemon was nowhere to be found after getting the horn. Had to console him in just to continue...luckily I was able to track down the needed command here. I currently have the BG2 Fixpack v8, plus the Tweak Pack installed as well.

I found another thread saying that this happened when a save was made before Saemon had enough time to leave the tavern, and I'm pretty sure that would have been the case in my game. Unfortunately, by the time I'd finished the next task I'd also sold loot, changed spell memorizations, and rested, meaning that my save games didn't work to easily troubleshoot the issue.

Hope that helps!

I found another thread saying that this happened when a save was made before Saemon had enough time to leave the tavern, and I'm pretty sure that would have been the case in my game.
How sure are you? The game is supposed to prevent you from saving when actions like these are performed. In this case, you should be unable to save until Saemon has left the tavern.

Archived